• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 for investment?
3 3

792 posts in this topic

SW1 in 9.8 was a $500 book for the last couple of years from when GPA started tracking sales in 2002 until just over a month ago.

Fixed for greater accuracy.

I looked for a jump around when Star Wars Episode III came out in 2005 but couldn't find one.

SW1 in 9.8 was a $500 book for the last couple of years from when GPA started tracking sales in 2002 until just over a month ago.

I looked for a jump around when Star Wars Episode III came out in 2005 but couldn't find one.

The force isn't with you :shy:

The force isn't with you :shy:

lol

End of 2006 through part of 2008 it had a bump from what it looks like.

Some of you guys need to join the mutual fund forum.

I collect comics for the enjoyment of them. The enjoyment includes tracking their value and hoping for a nice return.

This discussion of where to invest your money and what is better is pointless here.

If anyone is solely investing their money in comics without any other types of financial planning...well I feel sorry for them when they reach retirement age.

I don't think anyone here is saying let me throw all my money into comics for my future.

Comics like any investment can be risky. Try your hand at the stock market and see how you like it...unless you are buying blue chips.

Which goes back to my previous comments about buying blue chip comics for an investment. Sure there is risk but the data shows steady returns.

Diversify your savings. I'm heading back to the mutual fund forum. See you there

Actually, you should like it a lot if you are investing for the long run. And you are usually better off in the long run buying the total market than buying "blue chips" (the DJIA or S&P 500).

I think I've missed about the last 30 pages of this thread, but here's another point for those thinking of investing in SA keys to contemplate: To buy a copy of, say, AF 15 you need to find someone to sell it to you. You might think it's a great investment at the price you paid, but presumably the seller disagrees or he wouldn't be selling it.

Maybe it's an obvious point, but as a buyer looking at the purchase as an investment you are betting that the seller is making a mistake in selling it to you at this price.

Or put another way, how likely is it that copies of AF 15 in whatever grade are currently priced so that as an investment they are likely to outperform the stock market over the next 20 years (taking into account risk and transaction costs)?

If an investment in AF 15 at current prices were the sure thing that some people seem to believe, isn't it likely that the many smart and deep-pocketed people in the hobby would be taking advantage of that mispricing?

Well people sold their AF15's 20 years ago and now look what they're worth

And let's talk about things like fungibility, storage, insurance, movement, etc.

When investing in mutual funds and the like, there is no need to worry about which shares you get. A like share is a like share is a like share (obviously talking about shares of the same class.)

But with comics, every single one is unique, no two exactly alike, and this is moreso the further back in time you go. A 9.8 isn't the same as a 9.8 isn't the same as a 9.8...and that's the same grade. Each one is different, each one is unique. Each one is going to be worth a different amount, dependent on these factors.

And then, even when graded, they have to be stored properly, and guarded against theft and damage for the entire time of the "investment." Mutual funds...? Not so much. Hard to steal in the traditional sense. Impossible to damage by dropping your quarterly earnings statement on the floor.

Storage, insurance, these are real costs that eat into whatever potential profit there may be.

And so, after 20 years, you've made a 10% annualized rate of return. Great!

So, your 9.6 GSXM #1 that you bought for $3500 in 2015 and held for 20 years is now worth $23,500 (extremely unlikely, but let's go with it.)

Did you beat inflation?

Did you keep the book from being damaged?

And, most importantly...how is $20,000 in 2035 going to help you in any significant way? You would have to buy 50 of them, and hope for the same return, and the same results (not at all likely), to have any significant impact on your retirement. Because the reality is, $1,000,000 isn't that much NOW, all things considered (remember...you have to LIVE on that money.) By 2035, it will probably buy significantly less.

And that's assuming an extremely optimistic 10% annualized return, AND that inflation won't have killed it all, AND not counting fees and costs.

Thank you!

But with comics, every single one is unique, no two exactly alike, and this is moreso the further back in time you go. A 9.8 isn't the same as a 9.8 isn't the same as a 9.8...and that's the same grade. Each one is different, each one is unique. Each one is going to be worth a different amount, dependent on these factors.

Never mind.

I don't think anyone here is saying let me throw all my money into comics for my future.

That would be incorrect.

There are several people thinking to do that exact thing; you can read it between the lines.

That's too bad. I'm not one of them.

+1 but I am not against someone else doing it. While I laugh and laugh. I am not a nice person.

That would be incorrect.

There are several people thinking to do that exact thing; you can read it between the lines.

+1 but I am not against someone else doing it. While I laugh and laugh. I am not a nice person.

What's with this "I'm a badass" persona you're pushing lately?

That would be incorrect.

Pushing? Badass? I don't consider myself badass. If that is what you are looking for. I've qualified my opinion by blatently stating I know some people would consider said statement as "rude" or "insensitive"

It saves whining. Or at least I thought it would. Perhaps I should reconsider.

That would be incorrect.

Pushing? Badass? I don't consider myself badass. If that is what you are looking for. I've qualified my opinion by blatently stating I know some people would consider said statement as "rude" or "insensitive"

I'm not saying your opinion isn't valid friend, but why not just give it. Let the reader decide their feelings on it. :foryou:

That would be incorrect.

I'm not saying your opinion isn't valid friend, but why not just give it. Let the reader decide their feelings on it. :foryou:

Because people are generally stupid. Just my opinion :)

That would be incorrect.

Ok then.

That would be incorrect.

Vanessa-Hudgens-Yknow-Im-Just-Sayin-You-Know-Im-Just-Sayin-Just-Sayin-Just-Saying-GIF.gif

-slym