• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why did this AF 15 go so cheap?

5 posts in this topic

Yeah, I know it's plod and trimmed, but still... in the same auction a 1.5 (blue) with a large amount of bug chew went for about 4.5k. But a 7.0 (plod) only goes for less than a 50% premium?

Am I missing something? Is this auction not actually over yet? It says it has sold.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/amazing-fantasy-15-trimmed-marvel-1962-cgc-apparent-fn-vf-70-slight-a-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7104-92099.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013

2 edges trimmed with pretty obvious fill and color along the right edge, I suspect some felt it was more than just "slight" restoration. Still, it seemed to go for less than restored 7.0s usually do, and for that much you're probably not getting any better than a 2.5 in a blue label.

PLODs are like that, sometimes you can get a pretty good deal on them.

Based on the book and the fill on the edge, I imagine it was a pretty chipped edge that got chopped. CGC tends to be somewhat lenient with Marvel chipping, but this is an example of a book's grade getting rewarded for cutting off an edge. Personally I would not consider this an apparent 7.0, as apparently it's missing two edges, which one should assumed were pretty ragged, so I don't think this should carry an "apparent" grade of more 4.0

Yeah, I know it's plod and trimmed, but still... in the same auction a 1.5 (blue) with a large amount of bug chew went for about 4.5k. But a 7.0 (plod) only goes for less than a 50% premium?

Am I missing something? Is this auction not actually over yet? It says it has sold.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/amazing-fantasy-15-trimmed-marvel-1962-cgc-apparent-fn-vf-70-slight-a-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7104-92099.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013

The auction is over. Trimming is a big turnoff to a lot of people. The ct along the right edge is really poorly done. I guess the price is a little low, but if you are at all worried that AF 15 prices won't hold up over the long run, this was certainly a book to avoid.

I was tracking this book and the final hammer price raised my eyebrow. I also thought the "slight" resto notation properly should have been rated as "moderate". Still, it's a good price for the buyer who, my guess, will pretty quickly make a flip profit when he puts it up as a BIN, assuming he prices it reasonably.