• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goodnight Sweet Prince, COMIC BOOK MARKETPLACE ENDS # 121

86 posts in this topic

We'll miss you Michael!

Stephen Geppi ends an informative run.

Will we have an integration of OCPR and CBM in a new format?

Will Wizard JUST DIE ! 27_laughing.gif

I invite your thoughts and comments, as well as a retrospective of your favorite issues...

(meanwhile I am digging through mine to report my favorites later!)

I will mention I was enamored of the "Gerber" stickers that were released in the specials, as I tended to stick them on more and more things that were not PhotoJournals!

I still grab each new issue I see..... but I must admit I read very little of it anymore. It just doesnt seem to matter nearly as much as th egood old days! I REMEMBER SEEING THE FIRST FEW ISSUES AT MY LCS AND BORROWING THEM and being amazed by the informaation inside each isssue! Ill miss it - - but I think I miss it already for years now.

BRING BACK GARY and Lisa CARTER

Well...they have sucked for years save for some decent article here and there.

At least I can finally stop buying them just so I can have a complete run! thumbsup2.gif

I remember, years ago, calling Gary Carter to inquire about purchasing some Church books, and him offering to send me a copy of his new magazine. Loved the first issue. I don't think there was a single article, just GREAT dealer adds with tons of amazing books. Ah, those pre-eBay days...

I'm very dissapointed to hear this news - especially since I'm presently just 15 or so issues from completing my full collection of the run - including variants - though I suppose they'll all fit in just two boxes now...

However, it would appear to be the inevitable outcome of the editiorial change since no.84 and the downward direction the mag has gone since - regardless of recent attempts to take it back to its former glory.

Many of the earlier issue contain such fantastic information and insight - along with beautiful colour spreads... it's impossible to pick a favourite. I can often spend days reading an issue - it's not a mag you can skim through.

I hope the new version echoes some of the old style. But I really dislike the Overstreet Monthly. Who wants to look through a list of numbers...

love to I have some holes from months I didn't contribute to...

What issues do you need for your set of Marketplace? Down since # 84! Hey I take offense to that ! My first market report for that title awas in that one! Spider-man JRjr cover? The ONE billion times used image!

I'm very dissapointed to hear this news - especially since I'm presently just 15 or so issues from completing my full collection of the run - including variants - though I suppose they'll all fit in just two boxes now...

However, it would appear to be the inevitable outcome of the editiorial change since no.84 and the downward direction the mag has gone since - regardless of recent attempts to take it back to its former glory.

Many of the earlier issue contain such fantastic information and insight - along with beautiful colour spreads... it's impossible to pick a favourite. I can often spend days reading an issue - it's not a mag you can skim through.

I hope the new version echoes some of the old style. But I really dislike the Overstreet Monthly. Who wants to look through a list of numbers...

I agree about the Overstreet monthly.....very dry and boring, especially when you can get better, disinterested information on ebay and GPA.

I'll miss CBM, although I'm not surprised by its' demise. The standard of writing tended to be pedestrian and lacked incisiveness. The exception would be Michelle Nolan's column. Not only that but Cochran (and to a lesser extent Carter) made the magazine look amateurish with clunky design and formatting. A professional, experienced editor would've helped, here.

Despite the magazine having a limited shelf life due to its' over-reliance on nostalgia, there are certain issues that were seminal to me as a collector and dealer. The Neal Adams issue is, IMO, THE definitive take on the artist. Also the early issues that focussed on Xela, Fine and Atom Age covers are hugely important, as is my favorite one of all, the (first) pre-code horror issue. Fantastic, eye-opening stuff.

I'll even miss those beyotchy, retarded marketplace columns by the dreadful Greg White. Thanks for the memories, CBM..........................

I started buying CBM at issues #2. I can't remember exactly when I stopped reading it but it was several years ago -- some time around an editorial change. the articles just started to be blllaaaa.

Oh well. I will still miss it.

I am only missing a few issues for the whole run including the Overstreet Gold and Silver Quarterlies and the Gary Carter run was very good to excellent depending on the individual issue.

My Favorite issues where the Michelle Nolan "Do they Exist" columns, Unseen Gold by Matt Nelson, and I also think that CBM was where the first serious articles where written on 30 and 35 cent variants. There were also great issues on Pedigrees including the great Lamont Larson article by Jon Berk IIRC.

Like someone already mentioned I have really missed CBM since about issue 90 or so. Now to I have to go back and get the four or five I am missing. Adios CBM.

I hate to be rude, but it's been a rag since Cochran took over and I actually cancelled my subscription over a year ago after 10 years of buying it regularly. Cochran's arrogance and "I'll tell you what you should be reading attitude" stank, and he turned a mag about COLLECTING COMICS into one about his own interests, few of which the readership shared, at least not in this particular forum.

I hate to be rude, but it's been a rag since Cochran took over and I actually cancelled my subscription over a year ago after 10 years of buying it regularly. Cochran's arrogance and "I'll tell you what you should be reading attitude" stank, and he turned a mag about COLLECTING COMICS into one about his own interests, few of which the readership shared, at least not in this particular forum.

Agreed. thumbsup2.gif

I think initially Cochran made a few mistakes in trying to broaden the appeal of CBM - but the last year's worth of issues were much closer to the Gary Carter era in quality. Sure much of the writing was "fan" quality - but I enjoyed reading most of them just the same - whereas Alter-Ego with it's heavy emphasis on interviews with often obscure writers and artists can be a little tedious at times.