• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Death of Jean DeWolff vs. Kraven's Last Hunt

23 posts in this topic

Which do you like better?

I'm currently reading Kraven's Last Hunt again and wanted to hear your opinions!

I've been wanting to get both as single issues and found a good seller on CCL that had nice NM's for under a dollar each for Death of DeWolff. (Not that it has anything to do with this debate)

Honorable mentions go to:

-Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut

-The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man

-The Commuter Cometh

I love both stories! Great reads. I own collected editions of both. Not sure of "the commuter cometh?" Which issues is that? The kid who collects Spider-Man is decent but I feel it is over-rated. Probably just me though.....

ASM #267 if my memory serves, excellent standalone issue. One of my favorites too.

The Death of Jean DeWolff story is better; Kraven's Last Hunt art is better.

I agree, but neither storyline impressed for me.

They're both classic stories...

The commuter story is in ASM #267, I've grabbed a random scan of the cover: Another highly underrated story you never hear about, but it has always been a favorite of mine (I did a double-signed SS 9.8 with Peter David and McLeod that I can't find my scan of). It captures Spidey pretty perfectly.

ASM267CGC.jpg

An arc that rarely gets mentioned in this company is Spidey vs. Firelord, from issues 269/270 and a brief Avengers recap. It reminds me much of the near legendary Daredevil /Submariner battle from days gone by.

I mention it occasionally, as it is one of my favourite Spider-Man stories.

(thumbs u

-slym

It's difficult to compare these stories to that of today. A lot denser, more copy, fewer splash pages. There was nothing really happening between the panels -- it was all there for you.

Storytelling was a lot different in the late-80s. (Which was 25 years ago... crazy, no?)

They're both classic stories...

The commuter story is in ASM #267, I've grabbed a random scan of the cover: Another highly underrated story you never hear about, but it has always been a favorite of mine (I did a double-signed SS 9.8 with Peter David and McLeod that I can't find my scan of). It captures Spidey pretty perfectly.

ASM267CGC.jpg

Ah...yes. That is a good story. Spidey-vs Firelord is great too! I just recently re-read that. I don't know how anyone couldn't like Kravens last hunt and the death of Jean DeWolf! Timeless classics! :sumo:

I haven't read the Firelord issues.. yet!

Thanks for mentioning that, I will be sure to read them in the next month. I can't believe how many amazing stories were told during the mid #200 issues.

Maybe it's my ignorance but I don't think Stern gets a lot of respect from newer readers. I know most of the younger people my age enjoy Stan's old ASM stories, but Stern had a legendary run and created one of the most well known villains, good ole Hobby.

Thanks for mentioning that, I will be sure to read them in the next month. I can't believe how many amazing stories were told during the mid #200 issues.

Maybe it's my ignorance but I don't think Stern gets a lot of respect from newer readers. I know most of the younger people my age enjoy Stan's old ASM stories, but Stern had a legendary run and created one of the most well known villains, good ole Hobby.

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

I'd (thumbs u (thumbs u that. Stern's run is incredibly underrated. And just try to find Stern SS! I wish he did more shows. The Hobgoblin storyline weaving through those 60 or so issues is masterful, and there are plenty of other gems like Firelord or the commuter (this latter one written by David) to take a different tack. Just brilliant stuff. He deserves his own Omnibus or Essential reprint set. ASM in the upper half of the 200s is particularly :cloud9:

Spect Spidey #107-110 is vastly, vastly underrated.

They are both excellent series.

I have never wanted Spidey to catch the bad guy more than with the first Sin Eater series!

DeWolff made so many appearances (if my memory serves), and obviously you could definitely see something there between Spidey and DeWolff. I remember when she died and I just remember thinking, this can't be, why kill her? I was so young (I guess about 12-13 when it happend), it was REALLY hard to wrap my head around.

Years later I used to think about Spidey's rogue gallery, and how Marvel really dropped the bomb by not keeping Sin Eater around (I know he came back later which was a really disappointing return), to be one of Spidey's major villians. I mean Goblin killed Gwen, but who out of his foes did more damage in those few days than the Sin Eater? He almost killed Betty Brant too!!!

My vote (as much as I absolutely love Kraven and the Vermin story going on at the same time), is with the Sin Eater!

Jay