• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade this House of Secrets #92

26 posts in this topic

An explanation of various flaws:

Visible staining near spine and around edges of back cover looks like foxing. My scanner tends to magnify staining/foxing, so assume that in hand, the foxing is about half as intense looking.

Long line across front cover is a production smudge where the roller drew the ink across the cover.

Back cover has a large, but nearly invisible moisture mark (not really a stain, although my scanner makes it look like a faint one) from the middle of the left edge to about three inches inward.

Lower left corner of back cover has a non-color-breaking bend about 1/2 inch long.

Other wear is visible in scan.

housesecrets92-50.jpg

housesecrets92-50b.jpg

Too bad about that production smudge. Not sure how others would grade on it but I sure wouldn't want it on a copy I was thinking of purchasing. Is that a water stain by the DC in the bat? It looks like it might have migrated onto the back cover if so.

With all you pointed out and including that CBC on the LRFC I would say 7.5 tops.

Structurally, it looks like a great book (which counts a lot with me). 7 of 8 sharp corners doesn't hurt either. This issue suffers in general because of the graininess of the art on the front cover - high reflectivity is rare.

An explanation of various flaws:

Visible staining near spine and around edges of back cover looks like foxing. My scanner tends to magnify staining/foxing, so assume that in hand, the foxing is about half as intense looking.

The foxing is definitely minor, and with proper storage, probably will not advance.

Long line across front cover is a production smudge where the roller drew the ink across the cover.

I've seen that often, just not with this issue. As a production defect, if common to this issue, it will result in very little deduction, if any in this grade.

Back cover has a large, but nearly invisible moisture mark (not really a stain, although my scanner makes it look like a faint one) from the middle of the left edge to about three inches inward.

It is subtle, but repeat after me . . . "a stain is a stain is a stain . . . "

Lower left corner of back cover has a non-color-breaking bend about 1/2 inch long.

Can't see it at all.

For me, the book is easily a 7.5 sumo.gif and maybe even higher.

But I believe CGC would take it down to a 7.0 or even a 6.5.

I'd love to have it (but not as much as my Av #57 wink.gif ) thumbsup2.gif

I stink grading in this range, but I'm guessing a range between 4.5 and 5.5... my gut tells me 5.5...

I have graded it a 5.0-5.5. I am glad to see based on the grades of others that I might be grading a little too harshly. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I'd agree with your 5.5 assessment. No way does this book get into the F/VF range.

Brian

I was actually leaning toward the 5.0. 27_laughing.gif I don't think it has a shot at 6.5 or better either, even though it looks like a 7.0/7.5 from the front. The back cover just kills any shot it ever had. In the end, if I ever sell it, I'll probably sell it as a 5.5/6.0.

I'd agree with your 5.5 assessment. No way does this book get into the F/VF range.

Brian

I agree. No way this is a FN/VF. Sorry. But it is still a nice book!

Don't be sorry. For $40, it was a steal even if it was a VG 4.0! 27_laughing.gif

I always find a book like this the toughest to grade - Excellent structure but an accumulation of minute defects. The staining on the back cover and the spine along with what I perceive as a few tiny creases that break color. Still I think the overall eye appeal in nice and the corners are sharp. Guess it depends on how harsh the staining is viewed. But I still feel it has a shot at 6.0.

takeit.gif

Nice pick up

I think a grade of a 5.0 is pretty harsh. Even with the flaws, I think its in the 5.5/6.0 range, leaning towards a 6.0.

i agree with Nikos on this one. all of the problems are little except for that roller mark..............which probably wouldn't hammer the grade much...........

Scott,

I think that back cover is.... as you said... keeping the book from grading higher.

Your 5.0 - 5.5 is probably accurate. And very fair.

Staining of any kind seems to be among the biggest downgradable flaws a book can have.. but is sooo hard to actually determine exactly how much a downgrade it should recieve.

That is a nice book, in solid shape. You owned it long?

Ze-