• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay class action lawsuit: Good 'Till Cancelled

20 posts in this topic

When they first started this sort of promotion months back, the re-lists were free. Then they weren't free. Now, I just noticed it isn't 3 re-lists but only 2 - and they still charge for each re-list.

Seems to me this is a case of them trying something until they get good enough feedback so that it sticks.

*sigh*

-slym

WTH??? I had blown through my 100 free auction listings by last Sunday and put up a few BINs when I noticed I was being charged 30¢ each for them, even though I had signed on for the free BIN promotion that ran from the 22nd to the 26th!

Note: I am not calling you a liar, I am just a little peeved with eBay that I got charged when others did not. It was less than $2, BTW.

:)

-slym

Wonder if certain members -- whoever eBay determines is a "VIP" -- get different free stuff.

this is definitely the case. I use two different accounts and on more than one occasion have been offered certain free listings on one account but not the other. The accounts are a few months apart from when I started them so one has higher status than the other.

doesn't bother me though-- I only set the other account up to put things that fail to sell on my main account (a sort of clearance table). The weird thing is that some things I tried selling for months on the original account sold fairly quickly on the newer one. That makes me think in addition to getting different offerings/deals -- some accounts get promoted to buyers differently as well.

Well, I am a "Top Rated" seller and I did get the 1000 free listings promotion that ran from the 22nd to the 26th...

Maybe, since I used the "quick" relist feature it showed up there as a 30¢ charge but it won't make it to my seller account.

hm

*EDIT* I just looked at my account details, and there are no charges for Sunday, Feb 22nd, so I am guessing the above is true!

WHEW! Not that $1.80 would kill me (this time (: ) but it is nice to know that I did get to use the free BIN promotion after all.

-slym

Never participate in CA suits myself-typically the injured party gets nothing, lawyers get a bankroll.

Plus it's different around the world.

A $20 store gets you 200 free listings - then 5c per collectable listing afterwards.

45 day BINs and auto-relist until you manually stop the listing. Fees are 8.8%.

You guys get a much better deal in the states for stores I believe?

Plus it's different around the world.

A $20 store gets you 200 free listings - then 5c per collectable listing afterwards.

45 day BINs and auto-relist until you manually stop the listing. Fees are 8.8%.

You guys get a much better deal in the states for stores I believe?

This is where I hope to see FlyingDonut comment, he's usually spot on in his analysis. :popcorn:

From what I remember in the finer details of the 2/22-2/26 free BIN promotion, you could not use Relist, otherwise you were charged.

That's the key. The way around it is to "sell similiar item", which preloads all the information and list it as a new item.

+1 Yep.

Doesn't allow you to re-list 100 items in one go, but if you have a few you want to re-list, just have to hit "sell similar" and a couple buttons to get around the fee.

Wonder how long it will be until they remove this, too.

I got burned early by the relist and the auto-relist. Earlier wording in the promotions didn't include the fact that it had to be a new listing on the same promotion page. Maybe buried in the terms and conditions fine print linked.

On the more recent BIN promotions I noticed the wording was more clearly stated on the promotion page that it had to be a new listing. I had learned my lesson long before then but was pleased to see it clearly stated.

The automatically relist checkbox is now unchecked by default. It used to be checked automatically by default when creating a new listing, relisting or selling similar If you didn't notice and just clicked the list button because you were trying to run through about 200 listings in an hour before the cutoff time, you got a rude awakening the next month when you realize you ate about $60 in fees.on the relist.

I stopped using the Good Til Cancel option altogether because of this very tactic which I saw as the same as those free credit monitoring services that offer services free for the first month but then charge you automatically unless you cancel.

I can see merit in the lawsuit by American consumer standards though it really is my fault for not being more careful.