• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT-Hey North Carolina members-hang in there!!!

32 posts in this topic

hey, thanks for the welcome...

which LCS you guys go to? Heroes? i haven't been since they moved to pecan and 7th. course, i don't buy that much any more, slowly getting back into it a bit here and there online.

i live in cotswold, so i have been to that new shop in the strip center behind Hotel Charlotte...man, the guy that runs that place is a packrat. stuff everywhere...

Welcome, Sal. When I go to a LCS, which is very seldom, it's always Heroes. Sheldon Drum, the owner, is a super nice guy, and runs a nice shop. Not a lot of high grade silver or bronze there, but still fun to go to once and a while. I used to to on occasion to pick up a "Comic Book Marketplace", but, no more, I guess.

<>

Here in Winston-Salem the 1.5 inches of snow/sleet we have now is enough to paralyze the city. It's a state of mind, related to a perceived inability to negotiate the weather in your car (usually an SUV) or deal with the complications it poses within your home, that is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I went to the YMCA at 2:00 to work out, at 2:10 they announce they are closing at 2:30 due to inclement weather.

Same sh-- when I lived in Texas. One half inch of snow causing pile-ups all over the highways.

There are lots of things I like about living in the South, but the inability to deal with the slightest amount of bad weather is not one of them.

I went to Wake for grad school and was there for the storm of 93. The Winston-Salem plan for a foot of snow removal? Wait for it to melt.

<>

Here in Winston-Salem the 1.5 inches of snow/sleet we have now is enough to paralyze the city. It's a state of mind, related to a perceived inability to negotiate the weather in your car (usually an SUV) or deal with the complications it poses within your home, that is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I went to the YMCA at 2:00 to work out, at 2:10 they announce they are closing at 2:30 due to inclement weather.

Same sh-- when I lived in Texas. One half inch of snow causing pile-ups all over the highways.

There are lots of things I like about living in the South, but the inability to deal with the slightest amount of bad weather is not one of them.

I went to Wake for grad school and was there for the storm of 93. The Winston-Salem plan for a foot of snow removal? Wait for it to melt.

Yeah, I noticed that. But a good plan B would be to have every in town who smokes just go outside and light up. Would melt everything in a few minutes.

<>

Was that the blizzard in March 1993?

I was on Spring Break with some buddies and we got snowed-in in Georgia. Had to stay in a mission with thirty other stranded college students. Many people had to spend a night in their cars on the highway. It was wild.

They were saying that part of it was due the lunar cycle and that the moon was the closest to the earth in like 30 years or something. When we were snorkling in Key West when that lunar phase started, the coral reef actually came about 3 feet out of the water. The guide said he had never seen it like that before. Wild.

I've been working in Chicago so snow is no big deal. Of course, the reason why people run rabid to the grocery store for milk and bread here in NC is that it rarely snows here--and when it does--it usually comes as sleet/ice which is a lot worse. I have roughly .5 inch of snow and .25 inch of ice here in North Charlotte by the UNCC university.

<>

Was that the blizzard in March 1993?

I was on Spring Break with some buddies and we got snowed-in in Georgia. Had to stay in a mission with thirty other stranded college students. Many people had to spend a night in their cars on the highway. It was wild.

They were saying that part of it was due the lunar cycle and that the moon was the closest to the earth in like 30 years or something. When we were snorkling in Key West when that lunar phase started, the coral reef actually came about 3 feet out of the water. The guide said he had never seen it like that before. Wild.

"Described as one of the largest and most intense storms in a century, the March 12-14,1993 blizzard paralyzed the eastern seaboard with record cold, snow, and wind. High wind, well in excess of hurricane force, smashed the gulf coast, Appalachians, and eastern seaboard. 99 mph wind gusts were measured by equipment on oil drilling platforms off the Louisiana coast as the storm began intensifying Friday evening, March 12. Winds estimated up to120 mph blasted the Florida west coast early Saturday, March 13, producing a six to ten foot storm surge."

This storm came out of nowhere...I was getting married later that year and my fiance and I and her mother (I know, I know - but she's a travel agent and hooked us up for free grin.gif) left on a cruise ship out of Tampa Bay the day before. This was all supposed to get me acclimated to a cruise since we were going on one for our honeymoon. The next day, seas were 30-40', the port of Tampa was closed, and we had to ride out the storm on the ship, anchored in the Gulf of Mexico. It was weird b/c it was sunny with blue skies and partly cloudy, but the ocean looked like the Appalachian mountains.

Fortunately, our honeymoon cruise was awesome... thumbsup2.gif

FYI - for the eastern NC gang, there's a show on February 12 here in Raleigh.

27_laughing.gifThat is the plan for many places here in NC. Just wait for it to melt.

The thing is, the way the weather changes from day to day or week to week here in NC, it usually doesn't take very long!!

Well, the local forecasters were as accurate regarding this past weekend as they were about the "flurries" the week before. There was some ice on the trees, but other than that, it was all water on the roads, not the snow & ice they'd predicted. I was hoping for a snow day or two. Oh well. smile.gif

thank god the tv stations ran that continuous weather warning report during the state-klimpson game. i was worried they might gloss over it like it wasn't a KILLSTORM