• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recent static_inc auctions- opinions?

12 posts in this topic

I noticed several ebay auctions today by a dealer static_inc

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Mf...t=3&completed=1

Several lots of low grade GA. A lot of minor key books (maybe some keys, I'm not a GA expert) that are probably on many lists. But the uncertaintly of the true grade (most lots are described as "many books G to VG, but some fair to poor") of individual books made me shy away. Although I'm willing to pay full graded book price for certain low grade books (e.g. certain Avons, Fiction House, or Fox) IF I am confident of the grade, I find some of the final bids in these auctions a little high. Am I correct- is this optimistic/gambling bidding- or do people know what they're doing here?

I bid on a few of static_inc's auctions in the past but I never won any of them. I've mostly set low-ball bids in hopes of getting lucky, but it's yet to work. I'm hard-pressed to bid "with intent" on any book that doesn't have large front and back scans and a really complete description.

Warning!

Static_Inc is selling STOLEN comics on Ebay!!!!!

A box load of golden age books were stolen from a dealer at the last Big Apple convention. All of these books showed up on EBAY the next week by Static_Inc. Most have been recovered by the owner, working with the NY and DE police.

It also appears that another group of comics sold by Static_Inc last November were stolen from another dealer at the November Big Apple National convention.

Hi folks-

Yes, it's a serious charge, but it is also 100% true. I was working with the dealer that was ripped off at the last Big Apple. Although it is impossible to prove who actually stole the items (the person who returned them said they bought them from someone wandering around the show) we are fairly certain who the actual thieves are. The clincher is that they actually purchased one comic from us. We believe that was the distractor that allowed their partner to steal the other books. In addition to the stolen merchandise being listed by static_inc, they also listed the one book they purchased. This one has also been recovered.

Also look at how static_inc operates. It is mostly new DVD's, books, etc. Coincidentally they have groups of good comics for sale in the weeks that follow conventions. They only accept paypal, so no information about who or where they are is released. Put all these pieces together and it's easy to figure out what's going on.

I am a long-time collector of comics and have only recently discovered these forums. What a great avenue for collector's to share information. And what a coincidence that the subject of static_inc comes up right after going through this experience!

Cliff

Hello,

At the risk of starting an ongoing debate/argument, I felt an obvious need to reply to this post. If we're guilty of something, it's of bad judgement. Again, the obvious thing to consider is, would we really be so completely lacking in intellect that we would sell several stolen books days after the fact? Now, you might reply 'yes', but if you look un-biasedly, the answer would most likely be 'no'. To fully understand, you must consider the mindset of that day, where the blizzard was oncoming, and everyone who had travelled was in a rush to leave. The seller of 1 box was not "wandering" the show, and considering the fact that he was surrounded by other people, and standing indoors, it's a little less supicious than, say, a guy coming up to you on the street and trying to sell you a brand new television set.

What is shifty about PayPal? We prefer it for the same reason a number of other sellers do; it's fast and very simple. Also, PayPal is secured, and works in tangent with a bank account and *everything* is documented for records. We've always sold comics, and our records show we've sold them for long periods where there are no conventions, though we primarily have been a dvd shop. I didn't attend any convention in november, I do feel extremely bad for the vendor whose books were taken, and I do feel foolish about the purchase. Wont get my $1,200 back from that day, but did get an expensive lesson. I understand the poster above is upset, but again, noone at static inc. would ever consider something so dishonest, and never knowingly would we LIST stuff that would almost certainly be discovered... it's just completely idiotic. Again, I'm sorry I bought them. By the same token, statements such as:

"They only accept paypal, so no information about who or where they are is released. Put all these pieces together and it's easy to figure out what's going on."

-Are not true. (I wont go into the fact that, uh, its rather apparent that anyone going through a transaction with you knows your information, and secondly, when you package something, a return address is needed.) Since you were working with the dealer, please again express my apoligies.

I have no idea what the real story is here, but in answer to your question/statement about someone being so stupid as to try and sell stolen books the day after the theft, my answer would be definitely yes. This is in fact how a lot of people get caught. Refer to the recent post in the general comics forum where someone had their apartment broken into and a lot of key books stolen. The crook was caught when trying to sell them to a local dealer. Stupid, yes. Out of the question, definitely not. Again, I am making absolutely no claims of you guilt or innosense, just an observation that people do stupid things that get them caught.

static_inc-

Nice try. Explain this:

After the auctions closed, one of the "winners" emailed you and stated he heard the comics were stolen. You claimed it was not true, and that they were yours and had been in your possession for a long period of time. Obviously, you were lying to cover up the theft. Before you try and lie your way out of this, we have the emails. You may be surprised who the "winners" of those auctions were.

So how is it you "happened" to acquire a stolen collection right after the November show as well? Are we supposed to believe you just happened to buy another box of comics at that show too?

You're thieves, we know who you are and what you look like.

I truly hope you have the gonads to show up at another convention this year. Many of the dealers will be looking for you.

I actually think breaking into an apartment requires more skill and knowledge than lifting either a bunch of books or entire comic box at a convention. The first comic show I ever attended had two early teen kids steal a box of books from one dealer. They were caught when they tried to sell them to another dealer.