• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING starring Tom Holland (7/28/17)
3 3

1,648 posts in this topic

Yeah, Night Shift was awesome. I remember being very skeptical when they cast Keaton as Batman. But then I saw the movie Clean and Sober and realized what a good dramatic actor Keaton could be. He sure didn't disappoint as Batman. In fact, he may still be my favorite cinematic Batman.

Edited by Larryw7

Watched Spider-Man: Homecoming last night on rental.

I thought it was great, a very fun movie. It didn't break any new ground in the genre or really offer anything new but it was very funny and entertaining.

Thoughts:

Spoiler
What I liked:
- Tom Holland grew on me, didn't really get him in Civil War but I thought he was very good here.
- Vulture was portrayed well for the movie compared to the comic book bald headed green character. lol
- Michael Keaton was sublime, the scene where Peter goes for his prom date I didn't see coming and was just so uncomfortable, played so well by Holland & Keaton.
- The cast was all very good, worked well together. Happy & Tony Stark had a lot of funny moments and RDJ was in it a lot less than I actually thought he would be.
- The start, the tie in to Avengers and what turns Keaton to Vulture.
- Cap America's "stay in school kids" videos were just so cheesy and funny, especially the very end credits scene.

What I didn't like:
- Flash Thompson, I've read the Lee/Ditko Spider-Man run and I expect Flash to be the quintessential jock, big good looking guy who gets all the girls and has that arrogance, what we got in Homecoming was a short skinny d-bag whose dad happens to have a lot of money. The scene at the start where he turns to Peter and whispers "you're dead" made me laugh! He doesn't look intimidating at all and could be slapped about by a 10 year old, badly miscast IMO.
- The start of the movie where he was filming everything, it was if Justin Bieber was Spider-Man, annoyed the hell out of me and I feared the whole movie would be like that, thankfully that ended pretty quickly.

Nitpicks:
- Why is Michelle referring to herself as MJ? I thought that was Mary Jane... confused.
- Inconsistencies in continuity between Civil War and Homecoming, Spider-Man pops up in the Airport fight and from memory seems to have a good handle on his powers and the suit, in Homecoming he seems to regress and have little knowledge or experience.

Edited by bane

I'm 'thankful' for the research Gatsby and Jaydogrules put into their movies they love.

7 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Here's a projected profit/loss for Justice League from two days ago, from Forbes' Rob Cain:

His creds? He's a "former studio executive and current film finance consultant and producer." 

Forbes: Warner Bros. Faces A Possible $50M to $100M Loss on 'Justice League'

And here's a chart on how the projected ROI compares to other recent comic book films, in which Justice League ranks 20th out of 20:

Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 11.13.27 PM.png

A former studio executive was tallying what were the more profitable movies. For the 2017 year alone, Spider-Man: Homecoming comes in as a strong #2 with Profits and #3 for ROI. Wonder Woman's Profits and ROI were just so freakishly strong, it's hard to compare to these films that had larger sales. Truth in analytics comes through again!

Way to go, Spidey!

:headbang:

On 11/23/2017 at 3:57 AM, Bosco685 said:

I'm 'thankful' for the research Gatsby and Jaydogrules put into their movies they love.

A former studio executive was tallying what were the more profitable movies. For the 2017 year alone, Spider-Man: Homecoming comes in as a strong #2 with Profits and #3 for ROI. Wonder Woman's Profits and ROI were just so freakishly strong, it's hard to compare to these films that had larger sales. Truth in analytics comes through again!

Way to go, Spidey!

:headbang:

The "truth" is, the person who compiled this chart at "Pacific Bridge Pictures" doesn't know this information any more authoritatively than anyone posting on these boards.  

Homecoming was and is and will remain the #1 highest grossing hero movie of the year and topped your favorite participation trophy winner Wonder Woman by a whopping $60MM.

But keep on spinning Boscoe! :ohnoez:

lol 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

6 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

The "truth" is, the person who compiled this chart at "Pacific Bridge Pictures" doesn't know this information any more authoritatively than anyone posting on these boards.  

Homecoming was and is and will remain the #1 highest grossing hero movie of the year and topped your favorite participation trophy winner Wonder Woman by a whopping $60MM.

But keep on spinning Boscoe! :ohnoez:

lol 

-J.

:luhv:

Reality is reality. You should just stick to enjoying movies, versus competition over creative material you never even contributed to.

24 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

:luhv:

Reality is reality. You should just stick to enjoying movies, versus competition over creative material you never even contributed to.

Could I say the same to you then? What's the reality in the world of Boscoe today anyway?  It seems to change from thread to thread.  lol

We already know you believe Wonder Woman made more money than Homecoming, because some chart from some unnamed source told you that.  

And we know that in another thread you have disavowed same said chart as being "wrong" about GOTG numbers based on some other article you saw somewhere else.  

And in a third thread (Justice League) you completely ignore the numbers on the chart and quite literally have made up your own to make that movie's performance look 10% less awful, after not posting it at all for several days.

I have said many times that I appreciate the time that you put into preparing your charts.  But more and more you're exposing yourself to be a partisan DC fanboy and apologist, tipping the scales when you believe you need to (Justice League, Wonder Woman) and putting your finger on it when you want to (Homecoming, GOTG).  Instead of just posting the numbers that we do know that are in the public domain as they are generally accepted to be and leaving it at that.   

That's called spin, spin, spin.  :ohnoez:

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

2 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Could I say the same to you then? What's the reality in the world of Boscoe today anyway?  It seems to change from thread to thread.  lol

We already know you believe Wonder Woman made more money than Homecoming, because some chart from some unnamed source told you that.  

And we know that in another thread you have disavowed same said chart as being "wrong" about GOTG numbers based on some other article you saw somewhere else.  

And in a third thread (Justice League) you completely ignore the numbers on the chart and quite literally have made up your own to make that movie's performance look 10% less awful, after not posting it at all for several days.

I have said many times that I appreciate the time that you put into preparing your charts.  But more and more you're exposing yourself to be a partisan DC fanboy and apologist, tipping the scales when you believe you need to (Justice League, Wonder Woman) and putting your finger on it when you want to (Homecoming, GOTG).  Instead of just posting the numbers that we do know that are in the public domain as they are generally accepted to be and leaving it at that.   

That's called spin, spin, spin.  :ohnoez:

-J.

0004.gif

You're the one that became so fixated on how Forbes and others were one-sided against your beloved Spider-Man: Homecoming (a movie I even pointed out I enjoyed).

Now trying to say I make up numbers to make DC look better when I have shown MCU and DC films in an equal light is just doing what you say you don't: troll. And that is trolling, as you are trying to detract from someone's character by going on and on.

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

0004.gif

You're the one that became so fixated on how Forbes and others were one-sided against your beloved Spider-Man: Homecoming (a movie I even pointed out I enjoyed).

Now trying to say I make up numbers to make DC look better when I have shown MCU and DC films in an equal light is just doing what you say you don't: troll. And that is trolling, as you are trying to detract from someone's character by going on and on.

Wanting to keep the conversation honest still doesn't constitute "troling".  I'm not trying to imply that you are a bad person because you prefer DC or really want their movies to succeed either so if that's what my last post implied, I apologize.  The rest of my post I'm going to PM you.   

-J.