• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So obviously PGX has no clue how to detect trimming...

38 posts in this topic

This seller is well known for buying and trimming their books. Look at all their listings and every book has identical razor sharp bottom edges. Look at their previous sold listings and you will see more identical edges. This thread will give you more info on this seller Link

And where the :censored: do you see a clean, razor sharp edge on that Hulk 181? (shrug)

So you don't feel that bottom edge looks unnaturally cut/sharp? Here's a higher grade Hulk 181 where they did disclose their trimming & resto Other Hulk 181

Judging by the other "work" they have done on their comics, I have prepared an illustration of the likely result.

(listing picture on the left, all_things_comics trim job on the right)

combined.jpg

Almost all damage is eliminated from open edges! But why can't somebody figure out how to trim spines. :cry:

If PGX wants to salvage any shred of credibility that they still have, they need to just license their slab production to CGC and CBCS. They can't grade for sh*t on a good day, but if you've ever held one of their slabs, those things are tough as nails!

no way that Hulk 181 is a 6.5.

I wouldn't give that book a 6.5 after a night of binge drinking, bar hopping, bar room brawling, or bootleg whiskey running across state lines.

:signfunny:

The paths of deceit by the criminal mind are infinite!

trmoore54 2015

I just made that up...most apt methinks...

:tonofbricks:

Between the seller and the grading company, I don't even need to look at photos . . . :eek:

This seller is well known for buying and trimming their books. Look at all their listings and every book has identical razor sharp bottom edges. Look at their previous sold listings and you will see more identical edges. This thread will give you more info on this seller Link

maybe so, but look at the bottom edge back cover shot of that hulk. how do you propose that they trimmed it on an angle like that?!

amazing spiderman 5 pgx 4.5 restored

sorry no remotely decent pic right now

s-l140.jpg

The front cover is exactly the size of a golden age comic. The back cover is what seemingly appears trimmed. The only conclusion is that it's actually an extremely severe spine roll. Part of the front cover is literally the back cover pulled around then flattened out. A lot of early silver age comics still used the golden age cover art template so the art wrapped around to the back. Now this Spidey cover art fits perfectly. Also I got this on a buy it now at about 4am after it had only been listed for a few hours so not a lot of people saw this.

Anyone else have a similar experience? If I'm right then i got this for about half price at $250

Took a gamble this week... I compared the scan of the book I purchased from this seller against a 9.0 copy that had sold on Heritage. Everything looks to be on the up and up with my copy.

However, I have to see how this goes with CGC since the book shows samples that were graded at 9.8's that have various cuts and slight adjustment on the wraps.

I will revisit this and post exactly which book I am talking about once it is graded.

I recently went through my Paypal history from my early days on eBay, before I found these boards.

A few payments to Richard Koos, Dennis Hooker and Jason Ewert showed up.

I might have a few surprises in my CGC collection :blush:

I recently went through my Paypal history from my early days on eBay, before I found these boards.

That would make for a very interesting thread/read :popcorn:

That would make for a very interesting thread/read :popcorn:

Thing is, I'm not sure which books were bought from these guys. :(

My emails and transaction records were lost when transferring to a new computer (long story).

I'm currently going through and recording my CGC cert #'s on a spreadsheet, so I may be able to compare them to the Ewert list.

That's about all I can do at this point.

I have about 35 PGA and CGG graded books, as well. Oh well.

Wish I woulda found these boards sooner. Live and learn.

My better half has put most of my collection on a spreadsheet, which is fantastic, but I mostly use the cgc registry for my books.

Suppose I could get her to make a cgc spreadsheet with cert numbers. Would be handy to have