• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thursday afternoon rant

27 posts in this topic

Why do eBay buyers continuously make "best offers" on my auctions when there's less than a minute to go in the auction?

Do they think sellers are chained to their computers and are breathlessly waiting for buyers to make an offer with 20 seconds left in the auction?

Why do eBay buyers continuously make "best offers" on my auctions when there's less than a minute to go in the auction?

Do they think sellers are chained to their computers and are breathlessly waiting for buyers to make an offer with 20 seconds left in the auction?

Well, thinking about it from a buyer's perspective, sometimes people search Ebay in the "ending soonest" format and they might only catch the auction with a minute or two to go.

I agree it seems pointless for them to do it, but I would guess that might be the first time some of the folks see the item.

Yeah guess that makes sense however it just seems kind of pointless.

If I saw an auction ending in 30 seconds, I certainly wouldn't bother sending an offer.

Me neither.

Maybe they think the owner will see it and contact them when the auction is over, or when it's relisted.

Counter-point:

I hate when a seller has the "make an offer" option but then every time you submit your offer it tells you they declined it anyways

What's the point of even giving the buyer the option?

Counter-point:

I hate when a seller has the "make an offer" option but then every time you submit your offer it tells you they declined it anyways

What's the point of even giving the buyer the option?

You're probably offering below fair market value.

Yes, sellers often set price way above FMV on eBay.

But good sellers will accept FMV when it's offered.

Determined by whether its a:

Hot Book

Key Book

Speculation Book

# of similar books for sale

Not offered by the competition

Only book offered in grade

Been on the shelf longer then the seller expected

Desperate seller

Patient seller

I'm not condoning lowballing someone but what's the point of even offering this as an option then.

If you don't want to entertain offers, then don't..just my opinion

...because I'd rather not have to waste the 3 minutes replying to someone offering $75 on my $1,500 item? That's why.

If someone offers $1,250 then I have a reasonable starting point to negotiate where I can give him a discount and feel satisfied that I moved some product for a reasonable profit. Otherwise I'd have to expend too much energy rolling my eyes at the screen.

Peace,

Chip

I'm not condoning lowballing someone but what's the point of even offering this as an option then.

If you don't want to entertain offers, then don't..just my opinion

I will set my "limit" for Best Offer at the lowest price I have seen something sell for recently. If you offer something under that, you get auto-rejected. Don't think I am not entertaining offers at all just because someone gets automatically rejected.

(thumbs u

-slym

Hmmm, maybe because sellers aren't mind readers when it comes to your offers?

Or do you expect the retailer to check every offer that might be automatically declined and lower the price to your bid and then email you?

I work in retail and can appreciate that everyone has to make a buck. I negotiate all day for a living so when it comes time for me to buy something I'm a complete lay down.

That being said it does make sense if you give the option but then get bombarded with people offering your ridiculous stupid prices how frustrating that would be after awhile! Being that I don't do that I didn't think of it that way.

Point made

In addition, with the Canadian Dollar being worth 80 cents US, I am inclined to accept lower than usual offers but even then, if they are ridiculous offers, I don't even bother responding.

Prime example...I had JLA (1960) #61 to #70 (lot of 10 comics) listed at $149.99 BIN but accepted an offer for $120.00.

Would I have entertained an offer for $20? Not likely.

So ridiculous offers being sent with 30 seconds left in the auction, why bother?

Retail would be a much easier business if there was a standard definition of "reasonable offer".

Yes it would but unfortunately there is always someone willing to under cut the competition.

The definition of a great deal is only based on what you perceive it to be...

But getting back to the OP comment, making an offer with 30 seconds to go makes no sense. If I want something and they give me that make an offer option I usually give it a try to see what happens. If its a regular auction then I wait until the 6 second mark to throw a hail mary and hope for the best

I like eBay...