• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Future for Marvel Studios after Phase 3.....Phase 4? Discuss!

59 posts in this topic

If Marvel/Disney ever gets the FF rights in house, I think a WWII period piece with the original Human Torch and the Sub-Mariner would be a really cool idea.

I think the next few months will be really interesting in terms of how the future unfolds at Marvel/Disney. I'm probably alone and crazy, but I'm just not sure that this Avengers movie is going to blow the doors off like the first one did. I just get kind of a weird vibe from the trailer, but like I said, it's probably just me. It just looks.....overcooked. Slow-motion screaming, Black Widow with the same look on her face at all times, Downey Jr acting like Downey Jr, etc.

Anyhow, take it with a grain of salt. I also think Nicholas Hammond is an OK Spiderman, so what do I know.

Nicholas Hammond was a great Spiderman :sumo:

If Marvel/Disney ever gets the FF rights in house, I think a WWII period piece with the original Human Torch and the Sub-Mariner would be a really cool idea.

I think the next few months will be really interesting in terms of how the future unfolds at Marvel/Disney. I'm probably alone and crazy, but I'm just not sure that this Avengers movie is going to blow the doors off like the first one did. I just get kind of a weird vibe from the trailer, but like I said, it's probably just me. It just looks.....overcooked. Slow-motion screaming, Black Widow with the same look on her face at all times, Downey Jr acting like Downey Jr, etc.

Anyhow, take it with a grain of salt. I also think Nicholas Hammond is an OK Spiderman, so what do I know.

Nicholas Hammond was a great Spiderman :sumo:

That show sucked.

My prediction is that the viewing public will get tired of superhero movies once the contracts run out on RDJ, the Chrises and whatnot. Think of the popularity of westerns in the 1960s or mob movies in the 1980s/1990s. Comics are what's hot right now and it'll run out. Followed by a painful market correction on the values of certain issues.

It's beginning of another depression plus audiences are tired of all superheroes movies/tv series, literally every channel and every time slots soon. You won't see phase 4.

Really?

Has America or the world ever really been tired of people as heroes/villains dressed up in costumes with a gimmicks? (shrug)

Batman TV show in '68, cancelled.

Superman IV: The Quest For Peace

Birds of Prey, cancelled.

The Flash '91, cancelled.

The Crow: Stairway to Heaven, cancelled.

Mystery Men (good), but bombed.

The Crow 2-4, all duds.

The Green Hornet movie, flop.

The League of Extraordinary Men, disliked.

The Punisher: War Zone, 'nuff said.

Batman & Robin

Howard The Duck

...and recently Constantine.

Thanks for proving to me that you are clueless over all. :eyeroll:

That is without a doubt the stupidest rebuttal I have ever heard.

At no point in any of our lifetimes has the general pubic ever rejected superheroes or larger than life pop culture in costumes as a whole is my point. If that was true the movie business would be a fraction of the size it is now.

God I dislike stupid Boston people.

Another stupid Boston person here. :acclaim:

John, could you enlighten us all and tell us about popularity of superhero comics in the '50s?

I'm not saying this would happen, but...

Throughout its history Marvel Comics, whether it was called Atlas, Timely or Marvel, didn't always limit itself to the super hero genre.

When super heroes lost favor then crime, westerns, horror, sci-fi, or whatever took their turn.

Who's to say with the juggernaut Marvel Studios has become they will need to limit themselves to super heroes?

A giant studio with a successful track record and the ability to attract plenty of creative talent along with solid financial backing can probably produce whatever it wants.

Marvel/Disney have enough stock characters to change with the times. Say things get crazy and westerns become popular again; how difficult would it be for them to pull out the Apache Kid, Tex Morgan, The Phantom Rider or even the original Ghost Rider. They can do the same with war movies, comedy movies or any number of properties.

Alright! Rocky Jorden, Combat Casy, Millie the Model, Kid Colt and Powerhouse Pepper movies in the pipeline! :banana:

This isn't a bad idea, all things considered. Maybe not movies but if they want to attract a younger and different audience they should consider marketing to girls who watch the DisneyXD channel.

Take the Hannah Montana basic outline and focus on a tweenage Millie Collins, her rival Chili Seven(Storm), their mutual friends Tessa the smart sassy computer wiz (tessie) and the straightman character focused on school so she can become a doctor Nel (Nellie). Want more old school, the Modeling manager could be Hedy DeVine! a surly former model/actress who has to put up with these kids and their Corn Flakes commercials. Sprinkle in MU tidbits here and there with references and you are brainwashing a new generation to think of MARVEL.

You forgot Nellie the Night Nurse and Homer the Happy Ghost (tsk)

Nellie wasn't the Night Nurse; that was Linda Carter (not Wonder Woman). IIRC the Night Nurse will be in the new Daredevil series put out by Netflix as well.

With so many Marvel movies in recent years I was wondering if any thought has ever been given to any of the great Marvel western characters? I for one was (and still am) a big fan of Kid Colt Outlaw. I know Rawhide Kid and Two-Gun Kid were also, for many years a big part of the Marvel Universe. With the Jonah Hex movie (which I know was *spoon*) and the more recent Lone Ranger movie (also *spoon*), it seems like Marvel would defiantly have a leg up as their characters are far superior, plus this is an untapped area for Marvel. A kick azz --script is the key. One with action, humor, and a good plot (not one used a thousand times before). Think of the cool villains, like Iron Mask, the Rattler, and Red Raven. They could have cool gadgets ala Wild Wild West. And maybe even tie in with the modern Marvel Universe somehow, example: at the end of the movie they all enter an old gold mine and discover the tesseract!!!

A great idea would be to have all 3 characters in one movie, "The Mighty Marvel Western" where Kid Colt, Rawhide Kid, and Two-Gun Kid would team up. Many successful westerns have done this, think Silverado, Tombstone, Young Guns, etc. A brief story on each character and why they became who they are could start the movie, "Blaine Colt framed for a murder he did not commit" and the movie is off and running. With this type of format sequels would be easy as there are countless bad guys, and I think, if done right, "The Mighty Marvel Western" could be a huge success. Heck I even know the actors: Charlie Hunnam for Kid Colt, Channing Tatum for Rawhide Kid, and Shia LaBeouf for Two Gun Kid. Are you telling me that wouldn’t be a hit? With the ladies too? And lets not forget, Stan Lee as the piano player in the saloon.

Jonah Hex is probably the most interesting and one of the better known fictional western characters from comics, and the Lone Ranger the best known in any medium. That opportunities to make good movies with either were completely blown makes it doubtful that Marvel Studios will be going in that direction.

Marvel has lost their collective arses on western and western/sci fi movies like John Carter and the Lone Ranger. I could be wrong but I'm doubting that they are dying to jump back into the genre.

Marvel has lost their collective arses on western and western/sci fi movies like John Carter and the Lone Ranger. I could be wrong but I'm doubting that they are dying to jump back into the genre.

They lost their arses (as they should have) because the movies SUCKED!!! If Hollyweird could actually make a good movie, the people would come......

Marvel's only problem will be how the public views the DC/Warner offerings. If they are lame and dull that could harm marvel because people will have superhero overkill and interest will wane. Marvel actually has to want DC to be successful so the public stays thirsty.

Last time I saw there was like almost 30 superhero movies scheduled between now and 2019/2020. I'm not sure we need that many. It reminds me of when a publisher has a hit title and then drops 10 spinoff books based upon it. That never really ends well.

There is no doubt that superhero movies will peak and decline from the current prevalence. But its surprising to me that more people havent come to realize yet, that Marvel has moved beyond both the genre, and the rest of the people making such movies.

Marvel's media prevalence and shared universe is permanent now, and the most shocking part of that struck me last year when I realized it will out live me lol. Marvels shared universe was a paradigm shift, and some people might successfully build a similar thing, some will fail, etc.

But to think Marvel's movies,tv, internet, media universe is going to go away because of "superhero movie fatigue", is liking saying amazon or ebay were going to go away because the dotcom bubble burst.

There is no doubt that superhero movies will peak and decline from the current prevalence. But its surprising to me that more people havent come to realize yet, that Marvel has moved beyond both the genre, and the rest of the people making such movies.

Marvel's media prevalence and shared universe is permanent now, and the most shocking part of that struck me last year when I realized it will out live me lol. Marvels shared universe was a paradigm shift, and some people might successfully build a similar thing, some will fail, etc.

But to think Marvel's movies,tv, internet, media universe is going to go away because of "superhero movie fatigue", is liking saying amazon or ebay were going to go away because the dotcom bubble burst.

Well said :applause:

Well said :applause:

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. I think they do a good job of milking their lines... Superheroes are their 'boys' answer to princesses - please don't take offense, just stating their good at milking everyone...

That said, it wouldn't suprise me if there is a lul due to making room for other properties. Just read on RPF that Starwars is planning on another 9 movies (think that's 12 in total). There is an overlap and due to much of the rest of hollyweird throwing money at special effects over scripts, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney isnt hedging its long term bets. I'm actually surprised to see a lot of talk in communities like this around 'over saturation' - not just the speculation but at the desire to see more superhero for superhero's sake

To me the cost of making these superheroes movie/TV series is a big factor for the longevity of this new phenomenon. Majority of these new movies require high cost of special effect/technologies. In addition to a good story writing, today audience demand technology/CGI more than ever. With an average box office number or a so so TV rating, it could spell disaster to the series. Not to mention, how many of these new TV series will be free on the major networks. Many will be available exclusively through cable TV and subscription only. Call me too pessimistic but with a depression in the horizon, we are talking about 4 years from now, I think food and living expenses are more prioritize than going to the movie and cable TV.

To me the cost of making these superheroes movie/TV series is a big factor for the longevity of this new phenomenon. Majority of these new movies require high cost of special effect/technologies. In addition to a good story writing, today audience demand technology/CGI more than ever. With an average box office number or a so so TV rating, it could spell disaster to the series. Not to mention, how many of these new TV series will be free on the major networks. Many will be available exclusively through cable TV and subscription only. Call me too pessimistic but with a depression in the horizon, we are talking about 4 years from now, I think food and living expenses are more prioritize than going to the movie and cable TV.

Agree with some of what you're saying here but consumers tends to lean on pop culture durning downturns.

http://www.ushistory.org/us/48e.asp

If there is another depression on the horizon, we'll likely not see a drop in people going to movies... It's the escapism.

Like I said, the cost of these movies are nothing compare to past movies. In addition, looking into the release schedule, the redundant of these high cost superheroes movies will make it impossible for studios to recoup the cost during the crisis. Just remember, preparing for these projects cost time and money, 2-4 years financial commitment by studios at minimum. So with the calculation, with phase 3 end in 2019, phase 4 will end in 3-5 years after that. That's too far ahead to discount there won't be a downturn in the economy. Under a depression, for an average income family, you can pick 1 movie per month at most, not every other week, plus it is not just the cost of the movie ticket but other expenses that come with it. How much is it to go to a movie now? $20-$30 per person? Are you going alone or with family?

@AnhDepTrai here's my economy bubble rant:

I was waiting for 2008 to happen since 2002/2003, you are preaching to the choir. 2008 was never solved, the can was kicked by ending free markets, and printing the largest amount of money out of thin air ever. I think we are still headed for the second great depression, and when it comes it will be beyond what anyone is preparing for/expecting.

But.....use the other GD as a model. If this one, once they cant hide it anymore, is worse you are looking at:

25-40% unemployment

75-90% of stock market decline

Even in that horror show of a worse case scenario, jsut like last time:

60-75% of people are employed.

Those with assets and not debts, do very well.

Luxury items saw a boom time during the depression, as money no longer going into financials chased things like fancy cars, wine, and art.

Movie studios still kept producing lots of films

Obviously everything is relative. Will wages and ticket prices be the same? No. But companies with large reliable income streams (Disney), will continue to make money, and produce their films. Maybe the budgets wont be as high, or the effects as big. But the movies will still be made, and the people will still have their bread and circuses.....