• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Regrading

17 posts in this topic

How many of you have gotten CGC books regraded?

I've purchased a couple of books and I swear they look like they should be a grade higher.

I've read on here many times how CGC grading seems to have soften over the years. If you've gotten issues regraded, were you satisfied with the outcome?

CGC grading is cyclical - they were super soft on high-grade books around 2010, but have tightened up considerably since then. I'm personally hoping it stays this way - tight, consistent grading is good for the hobby :wishluck:

But, to answer your question, yeah, I've resubbed books where I just didn't agree with the grade. In a couple of cases, the book went up to where I thought it should be, in most cases the grade stayed the same.

One thing you should consider, though, is that the slab can mask defects - meaning that a book which looks undergraded in a slab can easily turn out to be accurately-graded once you crack it out.

CGC grading is cyclical - they were super soft on high-grade books around 2010, but have tightened up considerably since then. I'm personally hoping it stays this way - tight, consistent grading is good for the hobby :wishluck:

But, to answer your question, yeah, I've resubbed books where I just didn't agree with the grade. In a couple of cases, the book went up to where I thought it should be, in most cases the grade stayed the same.

One thing you should consider, though, is that the slab can mask defects - meaning that a book which looks undergraded in a slab can easily turn out to be accurately-graded once you crack it out.

+1

Thanks for the replies. Hmmm much to consider, I'll have to think it over.

One last question. When considering to purchase a book does off white to white pages compared to off white pages make a difference to you if it's the same grade?

Does it affect the price at all? Or is that being too picky?

Another dumb question:

I don't have a giant cutting device and don't trust myself with the interior sleeve and a regular pair of scissors.

If I have some comics to get re-graded on-site, can I just hand over the slabs or should I at least take them out of the slab and down to the inner sleeve?

Or will they not take them at all like that?

Another dumb question:

I don't have a giant cutting device and don't trust myself with the interior sleeve and a regular pair of scissors.

If I have some comics to get re-graded on-site, can I just hand over the slabs or should I at least take them out of the slab and down to the inner sleeve?

You can just hand them over and have CGC deslab them for you. (thumbs u

Service staff will remove them and then Mylar and submit the books to the graders.

Another dumb question:

Service staff will remove them and then Mylar and submit the books to the graders.

Cool; good to know.

Though I bet handing over a CGC slab to CGC to re-grade probably gets the conspiracy theorists going.

Are they de-slabbed right at the booth as you hand them over or later, behind the scenes?

Another dumb question:

Cool; good to know.

Though I bet handing over a CGC slab to CGC to re-grade probably gets the conspiracy theorists going.

Are they de-slabbed right at the booth as you hand them over or later, behind the scenes?

I think they deslab them back at the office, remove the old label from the census and then resub for grading. There would be no need to deslab at a show to create additional work unless it was going in for onsite grading.

The import thing here is that the graders don't see the old label, so there really is no conspiracy.

I know about the graders vs. in-takers and "secrecy"; just stirring it up.

My question for the slabs was specifically for on-site, since I'm near a city that has that. Guess it shouldn't matter at the end of the day where/when it is done.

Thanks for the replies. Hmmm much to consider, I'll have to think it over.

One last question. When considering to purchase a book does off white to white pages compared to off white pages make a difference to you if it's the same grade?

Yes.

Does it affect the price at all?

Yes.

Or is that being too picky?

Not at all. Better book, better value, better price.

Another dumb question:

For almost any book you can name that is heavily traded, there is essentially never any consistent or quantifiable difference in prices realized based on the "PQ" on the label. If it turns you on to see "white pages" on the label, then by all means, buy that book. Just don't pay anything "extra" for it, because odds are, the next guy won't either.

-J.