• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the Next Comic Book Age?

38 posts in this topic

Maybe this has been discussed here before...but thought I would open up the question here.

What will the next comic age be? (The Digital Age??)

What will cause it to be called an "Age"??

Are we in the new age now...and it just hasn't been called a new Age yet??

Bottom line: When does (or did) the "Modern Age" end?

Me? I think you might be able to make a case for a "Digital Age"...but this "age" would be defined by format...not a comic character event. That seems wrong.

Thoughts?

I think you might be able to make a case for a "Digital Age"...but this "age" would be defined by format...not a comic character event. That seems wrong.

I think Paul Levitz used "Digital Age" to end his "75 years of DC comics" book and to talk about the future but I think you are right, it is defined by format and not an event or changes in storytelling...

What will the next comic age be? (The Digital Age??)

What will cause it to be called an "Age"??

Are we in the new age now...and it just hasn't been called a new Age yet??

Bottom line: When does (or did) the "Modern Age" end?

IMHO to stay in a logical continuity, "Modern" is now whatever it will be called tommorrow.

If copper age ended when Image was created (that's an example), did the new age end when Image (or other independant companies) was bought by major companies ?

Or when non super-hero stories appeared again (Walking Dead#1, that's an other example) ?

Well, it'll almost certainly be named after a metal, because that's how we roll.

And it'll be a metal with less intrinsic value than copper (gold>silver>bronze>copper>steel? iron? nickel? zinc? etc)

Now, when this age will be defined as to when it starts/ends is a whole other question.

And the then-current Modern Age will eventually be known as the Digital Age when a whole new age after the Steel/Iron/Nickel/Zinc/etc age is over and there's another added age, but those books prior to about 2008? 2010? -ish and earlier will absolutely never be part of any era called the Digital Age because it wasn't an era defined by the growth via digital comics.

But there will always be a "modern" age that extends to "books that came out last week or are coming out this coming Wednesday".

Chromium age or foil age are distinctly possible. Fall into the "metal types" category for the naming scheme & are very on-the-nose for the post-1992-ish thru 1997-ish industry trends.

I could get behind a new age circa 2003 or so -- whenever Walking Dead came out.

Why? Because after the dark days and miniscule print runs of 1998-2001, we began to see a huge increase in the diversity of popular comics beyond mere superheroes in tights. That, and genuine authors (of, you know, books) started writing mainstream superhero books.

The modern age of comics is cool. I went to a comic store last month and was amazed that probably only 50% of the titles were superheroes. And the half the patrons were (gasp!) women.

It definitely wasn't that way in 1992-94.

And yeah -- calling Spawn 1 a modern when it's 23 years old is a stretch.