• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wood fake on the Bay

8 posts in this topic

Some kid traced a Wally Wood Dynamo cover and this guy is trying to sell it as a pre-lim. His other Wood sketch looks quite plausible so I don't want to call him out as a deliberate crook just yet -- anybody familiar with this seller?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wally-Wood-Original-pencil-art-for-a-preliminary-Cover-to-Dynamo-4-/151609328825?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item234c9ec4b9

Like I said, one of them, the one with the jet, looks authentic. On second look at the Dynamo cover, It's actually only the train that looks traced, so maybe it's Wood himself tracing a source photo, and then sketching in the rest? Why would he put in things like the CCA stamp though?

I take it all back! I saw the traced train and jumped to a conclusion. Comparing it to the actual cover, it's totally different and absolutely looks like Wood working out the composition with a photo reference, and in a lot of detail. Actually a pretty interesting piece.

Those are cool pages. Not to be too pedantic, but those aren't jets in the one. That's a 'Flying Tiger" P-40 and a Japanese prop plane (probably meant to be an A6M 'Zero.' And while the pages are heavily yellowed, I don't see evidence of mildew. If cleaned, deacidified, and lightened a bit by a conservator, these might be awesome pieces.

Those are cool pages. Not to be too pedantic, but those aren't jets in the one. That's a 'Flying Tiger" P-40 and a Japanese prop plane (probably meant to be an A6M 'Zero.' And while the pages are heavily yellowed, I don't see evidence of mildew. If cleaned, deacidified, and lightened a bit by a conservator, these might be awesome pieces.

Clearly I need to brush up on my aviation terms!