• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IDW Transformers G1 Continuity Appreciation Thread
4 4

523 posts in this topic

There's a store near me with a lot of TF comics and variants.

With all of the variants, publishers, and sub-stories, it's hard to quickly determine the good ones. Which are the ones I should check for next time I'm there?

More than Meets the Eye #43 Texas Comic Con edition that was never distributed at the TCC.

MTMTE43_concvr.jpg

Spotlight Orion Pax RI

SpotlightOP_cvrRI.jpg

Drift #4 Central Canada Comic Con variant

Drift2.jpg

Transformers #22 RI (2009 ongoing series)

Transformersissue22-CoverR1.jpg

I'm sure there are others if anyone else can think of any.

By any odd chance, is the store Giant Robot Comics?

There's a store near me with a lot of TF comics and variants.

With all of the variants, publishers, and sub-stories, it's hard to quickly determine the good ones. Which are the ones I should check for next time I'm there?

More than Meets the Eye #43 Texas Comic Con edition that was never distributed at the TCC.

MTMTE43_concvr.jpg

Spotlight Orion Pax RI

SpotlightOP_cvrRI.jpg

Drift #4 Central Canada Comic Con variant

Drift2.jpg

Transformers #22 RI (2009 ongoing series)

Transformersissue22-CoverR1.jpg

I'm sure there are others if anyone else can think of any.

By any odd chance, is the store Giant Robot Comics?

Thanks; I'll check on those, but they seem extremely rare/specific -- especially the comic con ones.

Any "normal" variants worth > $50?

Went to another LCS and dug out some RI covers to check prices -- nothing good. And some Wreckers virgin covers.

And no, not that store.

Wreckers 1:10 Virgin Covers always look awesome.

Speaking of virgin covers, All Hail Megatron #1 1:25 virgin variant is indeed #2 behind Spotlight Metroplex and its wraparound cover.

We have a few people really scrambling for some of these RE. I'll stick to chasing one book.

Thanks; I'll check on those, but they seem extremely rare/specific -- especially the comic con ones.

Any "normal" variants worth > $50?

Went to another LCS and dug out some RI covers to check prices -- nothing good. And some Wreckers virgin covers.

And no, not that store.

Some are. As far as RI covers that you can flip for decent prices. I would go with the Spotlight Orion Pax RI, Spotlight Metroplex RI, More than Meets the Eye #1 RI-B, 12 RI, 19 RI, and 26 RI, Robots in Disguise #1 RI-B, 12 RI, and Till All Are One #1 RI-B seem to be the regular RIs that you can get the most for. #22 RI from the 2009 series is the pinnacle of TF books since that SOB is a pain in nuts to find.

TFCon

Anyone ever go to this? It's about a 5 hour drive but I don't know much about the show.

I've been going to the Toronto show for the last two years. This is the first year I'll be attending the U.S. show.

The first year I went to the Toronto show I was a bit pissed off due to the fact the show is not 100% transformers centered. This last July

The guests have always been kind and fun to talk to. Never had any issues collecting autographs or conducting interviews.

I would say, to generalize, the fans are kick at these shows. Having been to PAX and ECCC, the fans that go to TFCon are amazing, fun to talk to, and lots to learn from each other. Just limit your interaction with the staff.

Yoshi, would you say that the shows have a good amount of Transformers comics for sale? I know that the toys will be there, but I'm looking for some books. I know with the artists there, I should be able to find some.

Yoshi, would you say that the shows have a good amount of Transformers comics for sale? I know that the toys will be there, but I'm looking for some books. I know with the artists there, I should be able to find some.

The Canada shows have sucked for comics. Good for getting stuff signed or the random exclusive. Bad for finding much of anything. I've been told the U.S. shows are much better. I can't speak from experience though.

If I go, I can give a better report. It'll be a lot of driving for nothing. I'll think about it and I will let you all know. If I go, you all can send reasonable want lists to me.

Edited by mec3437

If I go, I can give a better report. It'll be a lot of driving for nothing. I'll think about it and I will let you all know. If I go, you all can send reasonable want lists to me.

If you go, stop by our both and say "Hi".

If you go, stop by our both and say "Hi".

I definitely will. I tried to buy a ticket, but the site to register is charging $30 for admission when the website says $20. I sent them a message asking which is correct. I don't need the early bird access. I'll pay at the door if I need to. I just don't want to drive 5 hours and I can't get in, but I also don't feel like overpaying either.

On a fun note, I was thinking of a sketch or something to get. I have a few blanks that I could bring. I was thinking on getting a connecting sketch between two artists. Something fun. I don't know if it's possible or the cost, but I think it's a fun idea. I was thinking some kind of play on the dogs playing poker. I could talk to Milne, Coller and Griffith about the logistics of it.

On a fun note, I was thinking of a sketch or something to get. I have a few blanks that I could bring. I was thinking on getting a connecting sketch between two artists. Something fun. I don't know if it's possible or the cost, but I think it's a fun idea. I was thinking some kind of play on the dogs playing poker. I could talk to Milne, Coller and Griffith about the logistics of it.

That's such an awesome idea!

My advice to you is what I do. Contact these artist ASAP. Let them know what you want. Let them know you'll pay in advance and mail the comic book out to them in advance of the show. This will allow them plenty of time to work on your cover commission.

This year (Chicago TFCOn) turned it to an unexpected, pretty big deal. At least in my opinion. Something I gave my word that I would not to talk about till the convention starts. But will be a good example of why in the future people should contact these artists ahead of time.

It's also not related to the ongoing IDW Transformers universe, but original G1. So I wont talk about it here after the convention. Hit me up privately if you'd like to know.

Jam sketches/commissions are great! I like what Yoshi said about contacting the artists before the con. I'll add if you have any rudimentary art skills, rough out what you'd like before hand, that way the artist has a solid idea what you want, and not try to understand what you want. I started a jam to recreate the scene of the deactivated Autobots from the classic Marvel Transformers #5. Worked out well until I had Jose Delbo add to it. It was either a language or concept issue that lead to Huffer not being in line with the rest (Not to mention the horrible round, not square truck cab/hood)

http://art.cafimg.com/images/Category_45039/subcat_92050/YPnGzvXe_1505161547181gpadd.jpg#.V-ROv5dNPic.link

Edited by JBrown

I sent Alex Milne a message through Deviantart. I just want to get a feel for the process. So, I pitched the idea to him. Hopefully, he responds in some way. I've really been keen on his G1 work. I think he's gotten better as the series has progressed. Definitely one of the top TF artists IMO.