• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trimming? Bad cutting?

12 posts in this topic

Check out this Fight Comics: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67&item=6508226511&rd=1

and when you're done checking out the tied-up Tiger Girl, look at the width of the book at the top and at the bottom? Does it seem not square? Is this trimmed? Or a production flaw inherent in GA or Fiction House books?

I ask because I bought a similar-looking Jumbo 100 from my LCS and now a few days later, I see a similarly shaped book. (I returned the Jumbo to my LCS and they gave me my money back without question because I hadn't noticed the flaw until I got home. You can't get that kind of customer service on eBay!)

Check out this Fight Comics: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67&item=6508226511&rd=1

and when you're done checking out the tied-up Tiger Girl, look at the width of the book at the top and at the bottom? Does it seem not square? Is this trimmed? Or a production flaw inherent in GA or Fiction House books?

You can't REALLY tell unless the book is in hand, but that could definitely be a production issue.

Many, Many, Many books are not rectangular.

I have plenty of Silver-Age High Grade pedigree copies that are wider at the top then the bottom.

I don't like it, and it concerns me when I'mI buying a book unslabbed, but it is rather common.

Many, Many, Many books are not rectangular.

I have plenty of Silver-Age High Grade pedigree copies that are wider at the top then the bottom.

I don't like it, and it concerns me when I'mI buying a book unslabbed, but it is rather common.

There's a Wonder Comics #3 in the next Heritage auction like that...much wider on top than on bottom. Kinda ruins a book for me.

Very hard to say what the deal is here.

Everything said above is true. Could be a production issue, could be the camera angle, and you really can't be sure if a book has been trimmed without a serious physical inspection (and even then it can sometimes be hard).

I will say that there is some cover image loss down the righthand side by comparison to the one other example of this book I could track down. It's especially noticeable in the "tiger glove" of the guy in the foreground:

Fight #50 at comics.org

That of course doesn't mean that the ebay copy was trimmed. It could have been wrapped and cut a little differently- off-square or otherwise. The consistency of the wrapping and cutting of comics was really sketchy back then. If you're obsessed with QP, you might want to stay away from this book whether it's trimmed or not.

As far as detecting trimming in general- I'm generally less suspicious of trimming on books that aren't square than those that are perfectly square, esp. with GA issues. GA books with perfect QP are very hard to find. Mis-cut copies are common.

The QP on this book appears to be quite abyssmal. The one I bought from the local LCS was at least a quarter inch thinner at the bottom than the top. I've looked at lots of FH books, (not as many as some here though) and never seen anything like that. Thus my questions. I prefer my books to be mostly square as opposed to trapezoidal.

Most fiction house comics have, as Beyonder would say, "bad QP".

Yeah, the more i look into my slabs the more i notice how many books are not perfectly square....