• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has CGC started using larger cases?

29 posts in this topic

my OCD would kill me :eek:

Same here. I hate this thing lol

+1

It's the making of nightmares...the dreaded floating GA book! :eek:

I think I have a bit of that OCD as well. My Sensation 1 sits in one of those magazine holders, and I think it's annoyed me since the first day I put my hands on it. It really doesn't have much of a spine roll, though the fact that the cover was printed a bit off center makes it look that way. The interior pages do stick out just a bit from the front cover, so I imagine that's the reason for the cautious approach to place in a magazine holder.

I think it could sit in a regular GA holder with no problems, but am terrified to find out. Even shipping it out to CGC makes me cringe (and would prove costly with insurance, etc). I'm not planning to sell right now, but would the magazine holder turn off possible bidders or negatively affect hammer price in the future? I can certainly live with the annoying oversize holder, but I wish I could display it along with the rest of my "comic sized" slabbed books.

Sen1_No_Grade_zpsa0jrwhc3.png

I would be more than happy to take it off your hands if the case becomes too cumbersome :whistle:

I'm just messing. I doubt any buyer who's taking the books seriously would pass simply because of the case. Buy the book, not the slab. BUT, I agree that if there's a world where it can be in the smaller case, it should.

I must admit, my run of Harley Quinn 2000 series has a few of those thicker boxlike slabs for absolutly no good reason but to tick my OCD levels through the roof :censored:

If you're referring to the ones that aren't magazine shaped but simply thicker, I've been confused as to why certain books go in them. I've had very thick books squeeze into regulars slabs and then normal, decently thin books go into the thicker ones. Weird hm

I must admit, my run of Harley Quinn 2000 series has a few of those thicker boxlike slabs for absolutly no good reason but to tick my OCD levels through the roof :censored:

If you're referring to the ones that aren't magazine shaped but simply thicker, I've been confused as to why certain books go in them. I've had very thick books squeeze into regulars slabs and then normal, decently thin books go into the thicker ones. Weird hm

Exactly. Comic size, but deeper. Useless for a modern.

The last copy of the Harley Quinn One-Shot #nn was in the thicker case. It's a square bound book of course.

Many speculate its when they run out of regular size cases to keep things moving.

The last copy of the Harley Quinn One-Shot #nn was in the thicker case. It's a square bound book of course.

We are talking about your average thin floppy modern comic book thrown into a deep holder for no reason. I'm not sure but I think my perfect (square) bound Harleys are in the thinner welled holders. I'd have to double check.

my OCD would kill me :eek:

Same here. I hate this thing lol

+1

It's the making of nightmares...the dreaded floating GA book! :eek:

I think I have a bit of that OCD as well. My Sensation 1 sits in one of those magazine holders, and I think it's annoyed me since the first day I put my hands on it. It really doesn't have much of a spine roll, though the fact that the cover was printed a bit off center makes it look that way. The interior pages do stick out just a bit from the front cover, so I imagine that's the reason for the cautious approach to place in a magazine holder.

I think it could sit in a regular GA holder with no problems, but am terrified to find out. Even shipping it out to CGC makes me cringe (and would prove costly with insurance, etc). I'm not planning to sell right now, but would the magazine holder turn off possible bidders or negatively affect hammer price in the future? I can certainly live with the annoying oversize holder, but I wish I could display it along with the rest of my "comic sized" slabbed books.

Sen1_No_Grade_zpsa0jrwhc3.png

I would be very surprised if this were to happen, particularly for an important book. A book being in a magazine-sized holder wouldn't bother me -- I have a fair number of them -- and I can't recall ever hearing anyone mention that they were passing on buying or bidding on a book because of the size of the holder it was in.

I would be very surprised if this were to happen, particularly for an important book. A book being in a magazine-sized holder wouldn't bother me -- I have a fair number of them -- and I can't recall ever hearing anyone mention that they were passing on buying or bidding on a book because of the size of the holder it was in.

Thanks. Yeah, I guess common sense says that it's the book you're buying, not the holder. The size of the slab should be meaningless to a buyer (though it sure does annoy me as an owner :) ).

I was more thinking that a larger holder may cause a perception that the book is more flawed than it really is. In some cases, the large holder is used out of necessity (large spine roll adding width to book, significant mis-cut, simply oversized). But I don't think the oversized slab was really necessary with this one. I agree though, it's the book that's important, not the holder. And I'm over the moon with this one no matter the size of the slab!