• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has CGC started using larger cases?

29 posts in this topic

I'm guessing it's because it's a low-grade book with a large spine roll... too wide because of it to fit in a regular golden-age sleeve. It looks like they moved it up to the magazine size because of it.

I've had to do this with some raw books in my shop... books broadened out because of spine rolls having to go into super-gold or magazine sleeves.

The Flash Comics is in a magazine-size slab - CGC was most likely worried about it getting damaged in the regular comic book slab, so they put it in the larger slab. It happens from time to time.

What this guy said.

The Flash Comics is in a magazine-size slab - CGC was most likely worried about it getting damaged in the regular comic book slab, so they put it in the larger slab. It happens from time to time.

Its a .5! lol

Ugh, picky but I hate this big case.

In my experience, the widest a book can be at it's widest point is 7.5 inches (maybe 7 5/8) and still get into the normal slab. I have one that just barely squeaked under that measurement and I was worried it was going to be put in one of those kites but thankfully it wasn't. But I don't think you could go any wider, as it really fills the slab.

I've a Walt Disney Comics and Stories #20 that is sitting in one of those. I am most likely sending it to be pressed, have the spine roll fixed and regraded so I can finally put it with the rest of my books.

yep, have a superman 21 cgc 7.0 in one of those. :sorry:

Be honest it's a pain in the when a comic book is put in a magazine size slab.

I have an American Air Forces #1 that's flat as a board thanks to Joey and it still ended up in a magazine case.

ADF79A71-49D3-4E3A-88A0-2F4ED984CE08.jpg

I have a number of GA books that are in magazine cases. Into the early 1950s, some publishers experimented with larger than normal books.

Odd thing is that I've seen this book in regular comic holders and it fit just fine. Maybe CGC was worried about overhang and put it in a magazine holder to play it safe?

1486565.jpg

If that particular issue has even the slightest spine roll it goes magazine size

my OCD would kill me :eek:

Same here. I hate this thing lol

+1

It's the making of nightmares...the dreaded floating GA book! :eek:

That's a really nice looking copy of All Star 4, by the way.

That's a really nice looking copy of All Star 4, by the way.

Thanks! It's one of my favorites. I thought it would grade higher but I guess page quality brought it down.

I was looking at books on metro earlier and saw some spine roll and was thinking oh no, it could end up in that large case! :eek:

my OCD would kill me :eek:

Same here. I hate this thing lol

+1

It's the making of nightmares...the dreaded floating GA book! :eek:

I think I have a bit of that OCD as well. My Sensation 1 sits in one of those magazine holders, and I think it's annoyed me since the first day I put my hands on it. It really doesn't have much of a spine roll, though the fact that the cover was printed a bit off center makes it look that way. The interior pages do stick out just a bit from the front cover, so I imagine that's the reason for the cautious approach to place in a magazine holder.

I think it could sit in a regular GA holder with no problems, but am terrified to find out. Even shipping it out to CGC makes me cringe (and would prove costly with insurance, etc). I'm not planning to sell right now, but would the magazine holder turn off possible bidders or negatively affect hammer price in the future? I can certainly live with the annoying oversize holder, but I wish I could display it along with the rest of my "comic sized" slabbed books.

Sen1_No_Grade_zpsa0jrwhc3.png