• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Cons vs Small Cons

41 posts in this topic

More and more, the bigger cons seem like a hassle. They are usually more expensive, require longer travel time and are stupid crowded.

I'd rather shop a smaller show and buy bigger books online. The drawback of the smaller show is that usually the creators don't do them.

I find myself doing more and more online shopping than at any time in the past. Takes alot of the expense and hassle out of the big shows, but then again, I get to run from Greggy.

For buying small cons for sure. For socializing and networking and spending time with friends I only get to see half a dozen times a year, large cons.

Jim

This for sure.

I don't give a half damn about people selling swords, or teeshirts, or tchotchkes, or toys, or exotic chocolate and candied almonds, I'm there to look at comics and art.

Advantage small cons

But my nationwide network of friends and acquaintances don't show up at a one day show in Detroit or Grand Rapids, they show up at the Big Deals.

Advantage large cons

I make sure I get to several of both every year.

Which do you prefer? (shrug)

eighth-notes.png

Big cons...small cons...you know I've had my share.

When my woman left home with another book, that's when I started to care.....

Seventeen, I fell in love with a book sweet as could be.

Which do you prefer? (shrug)

eighth-notes.png

Big cons...small cons...you know I've had my share.

When my woman left home with another book, that's when I started to care.....

Seventeen, I fell in love with a book sweet as could be.

Only took a couple of days 'til it was sold by me

For buying small cons for sure. For socializing and networking and spending time with friends I only get to see half a dozen times a year, large cons.

Jim

This for sure.

I don't give a half damn about people selling swords, or teeshirts, or tchotchkes, or toys, or exotic chocolate and candied almonds, I'm there to look at comics and art.

Advantage small cons

But my nationwide network of friends and acquaintances don't show up at a one day show in Detroit or Grand Rapids, they show up at the Big Deals.

Advantage large cons

Small Cons by far-

Less competition (buying and selling)

Less crowded

The vast majority of dealers are actually selling (gasp!) comic books.

No silly cosplay

No lines

Short drive

Free parking

Only negative for me is lack of big book availability.

Hi Catrick,

I will be set up in GR on Saturday. Stop by.

Jim

This for sure.

Advantage small cons

Advantage large cons

You have friends?

Jim

This for sure.

Advantage small cons

Advantage large cons

tchotchkes heh

I only go to cons to sign books, so for me the medium/smaller cons make sense when CGC/facilitators are present.. A big con for signing is a nightmare.. stand in long lines for sigs or try get a witness when you run into sergio aragones in the bathroom, not gonna happen in a big con..

Also, sometimes it depends on the day.. I went to Heroes last year and it was a zoo in there, lines, and tons of people.. But on Sunday morn, I guess cause everyone went to church, it was dead and no lines for the artists.. I literally got all the sigs I wanted just by cruising nonchalantly from one table to the next within an hour

I only go to cons to sign books, so for me the medium/smaller cons make sense when CGC/facilitators are present.. A big con for signing is a nightmare.. stand in long lines for sigs or try get a witness when you run into sergio aragones in the bathroom, not gonna happen in a big con..

Also, sometimes it depends on the day.. I went to Heroes last year and it was a zoo in there, lines, and tons of people.. But on Sunday morn, I guess cause everyone went to church, it was dead and no lines for the artists.. I literally got all the sigs I wanted just by cruising nonchalantly from one table to the next within an hour

Charlotte is definitely deep in the bible belt so its not surprising that there is nobody there on a Sunday morning. They didn't even have cheerleaders when I went to see a pro basketball game (Hornets vs the Bulls when Jordan was playing).

Jim

This for sure.

Advantage small cons

Advantage large cons

You have friends?

(Catrick considers patting greggy on the shoulder and handing him a cookie, decides not to because greggy didn't call him a dork)

Jim

This for sure.

Advantage small cons

Advantage large cons

Small Cons by far-

Less competition (buying and selling)

Less crowded

The vast majority of dealers are actually selling (gasp!) comic books.

No silly cosplay

No lines

Short drive

Free parking

Only negative for me is lack of big book availability.

Hi Catrick,

I will be set up in GR on Saturday. Stop by.

Saturday, you say? Hmm....Could be, could be.

My big con is Friday at WW Chicago

My little is Mighty Con or (less frequently) Burnham Bowl

I love em both for different reasons, but if I had to pick one... it would be the big one!

Big con has more keys & a better shot at underground comix.