• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Regrettable sales you made recently i.e. what sale makes you feel like a toolbox

66 posts in this topic

NOt to much that I regret it, but I regret how I handled the sale i.e. I could have gotten $1500 for itThe buyer used the "there's another guy around the corner with the same book in 9.8 for $1400...can you beat that?"

Oldest trick in the book, and I even complimented him on employing said trick after he paid me.

Anyway, I sold 2 raw copies of BA 12 in 9.4 to 9.6,around a year ago, before the Suicide Squad news came around.Got $200 for each.So yeah, I regret those...just like I would a sale at $175, but the CGC 9.8 sale should have gotten me 1500, without having to throw in the French beater # 12 I also had.Guess it's all a moot point anyway, though....but damn, knowing that the actress portraying Harley Quinn in the SS movie has signed onto a 5 movie deal to play Harley....ugh.

Just saying, for a book like that, to shave off a $100 (I told the guy I had it at $2000, but was doing 20% off, as part of the show's promo for early buyers) and throw in a freebie just sucks.

About your NM 98, at least you have a excuse...the sale was made *before* the price jumped....and anyway, IIRC, don't you have around a dozen copies of that book?

You'll make up that slack, and plenty more, when you start selling the rest, a couple months before the Deadpool flick is released and the price for 9.8's rebunds back up to $1000-$1500 a shot.

You regret a $1400 BA #12 sale...?

How about a $175 BA #12 sale?

Or how about a $650 sale of a CGC 9.8 SS New Mutants #98, three weeks before they were $1300?

Regret nothing. If you made profit, you win.

Except I regret one thing.

I bought this piece of artwork from John Totleben in 1987. I sold it on eBay in 1999. I regret it every single day.

Swamp Thing 53 pg 40.jpg

At least now it is on CAF so I can look at it again.

When I could buy them for $20 a page from Collector's Comics on Long Island, I would give away Captain America OA Zeck pages as birthday gifts to my comic collecting friends.

I never saved one for myself.

I bought this piece of artwork from John Totleben in 1987. I sold it on eBay in 1999. I regret it every single day.

Swamp Thing 53 pg 40.jpg

+1 no regrets if you made a profit. But when you first start out dealing, it does hurt to know that you could have made an extra $100 on a sale.

When I could buy them for $20 a page from Collector's Comics on Long Island, I would give away Captain America OA Zeck pages as birthday gifts to my comic collecting friends.

I never saved one for myself.

:cry::tonofbricks:

Now there's a stinger.

The BA in the OP, not so much. (tsk)

If you sell, you're bound to have some regrets somewhere down the line. Luckily, I don't sell much, but some of the stuff I've sold, I've regretted. Deeply.

Just don't sell anything. If you do, don't look back or it may cause some sleepless nights.

I know a guy trying to sell a 9.8 ba 12 for 1350 obo...he can't seem to move it...1400 sounds super strong...can't imagine anyone regretting that (shrug)

Would you mind sending me a PM with the seller's contact info (name/email/forum handle,if applicable) ?

If you sell, you're bound to have some regrets somewhere down the line. Luckily, I don't sell much, but some of the stuff I've sold, I've regretted. Deeply.

Just don't sell anything. If you do, don't look back or it may cause some sleepless nights.

Space is limited and it is good to trim in order to punctuate the remainder.

Space is limited and it is good to trim in order to punctuate the remainder.

+1

So I just did my first show in close to 20 years (Toronto ComicCon). I haven't gone to many shows in the past 10 years and I've stopped doing eBay a long time ago. When I priced my books, I went by recent eBay sales and padded the number a little bit.

The bulk of my bigger dollar sales went to dealers. I'm sure they'll be able to flip a lot of the books for much higher but hey, it's all part of the business. Did I make sales that I immediately regretted? Yup. The big one was Brave and Bold 25. It was somewhere between a 3.0 and 4.0. It's the books that you probably will never own again that are the ones you regret.

Certainly there are books that everyone has underpriced that sell that will cause regret, but on the flipside, I'm sure there are many more times where you have purchased books for a great price that have made you a tidy profit.

But yeah, another +1 to donut about regretting nothing when you've made a profit. I can understand his pain on the Totleben original artwork. That issue along with Annual 2 were my favorite Swamp Thing issues.

As an aside - there were some certain sales that made me scratch my head. I sold all 4 copies of Dazzler #1 for $4-8. Am I missing something here? eBay sales on this book aren't great, and there's still lots of these to go around.

Swamp Thing 53 pg 40.jpg

I remember that.

:cloud9:

Well I sold ASM 9 in 1979 for $10 to buy a textbook-I kept all my other spideys so if I had managed to hang onto that one it would have been nice.

I sold 17 of my 20 EOSV #2 for cover :cry:

Not to me. My LCS didn't think I would want one so I am still without one. Eventually the price will calm on that book. It is sad when I can pick up 5.5-6.5 copies of ASM 31, the first appearance of Gwen for less than people are asking for EOSV #2 in 9.8.

Oh... I can and I did....

I sold 17 of my 20 EOSV #2 for cover :cry:

Not to me. My LCS didn't think I would want one so I am still without one. Eventually the price will calm on that book. It is sad when I can pick up 5.5-6.5 copies of ASM 31, the first appearance of Gwen for less than people are asking for EOSV #2 in 9.8.

That makes no sense to me either, same with respectable copies of #121.

I sold Batman Adventures 12 CGC 9.8 white on the boards abut a year ago for $270. Talk about leaving money on the table...

Then there was Hulk 180 about a year ago from a WTB - mid-grade, $50. More money on the table...

Or the Thor 165-166 CGC 9.0 and 9.2 at below Overstreet about a year or so ago...mo' money mo' money, just not mine...

I'll start by saying that I'm a dealer/collector and at times, I tend to make impulsive sales at cons.The sort of sales I know that I will regret, even whilst I am closing the deal, but do so regardless.

I'll start off with a couple sales I made at Carbo's Big Apple Con a couple weeks back.

Batman Adventures 12 CGC 9.8 white pages - $1400 (but at least it was cash,not on a card)