• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Facilitating for comic shop events

13 posts in this topic

Huge amount of honesty here because I get asked to do random stores in Texas on almost a bi-weekly request...

Big thing about store signings, unless there is huge mega star creator(s) showing up, some gigantic Spider-Gwenish style book coming out for the store, or I live no more than 30 mins away from the store it really isn't worth it for me (many) witnesses. I've done eleven store signings around the area in two plus years because store owners, friends, and even a facilitator asked me to and all of them have turned out to be a bust. Don't get me wrong I love the free pizza, some soda, and chips, but these have yet to become profitable nor break even for at least my location. I use my gas for travel, depending on distance I'm putting my self up in a hotel, and unless I'm bringing tupperwear for the pizza I'm buying food, and so far the max I have done in total for the stores its been dismal as there is usually only four or five individuals at a store that actually want to pay the fees CGC charges for grading or even honestly care for it. That's considered a loss for a witness and not worth the time of doing them.

It's not what you want to hear but it is what it is and that's business.

I love comics and getting things signed, I love meeting multiple artists and actually spending time to talk to them, and gotta say I love repeating everything about CGC to multiple individuals who the moment you say that there is a $28 grading fee, a $5 invoice fee, and a $10 shipping charge for the first book after they get a free signature turn around and say thanks I don't think I can spend the money on it and walk away even after repeatedly telling them that a guy like Tim Duncan signing on your comic book is like a holy grail for many CGC fans who are willing to pay in the upwards of a few hundred dollars for that same book graded they got because they scored a lucky ticket just isn't fun.

Unlike what many believe, CGC isn't paying a witness to go to smaller shows especially if numbers are dismal at best. Stan Lee shows up at a store, yep I'll be there. Adam Hughes releases a Spider-Ham variant, sure why not. J. Scott Cambell draws a stick figure variant with boobs and the nose thing on a book, i'm there, but everyone else.... just not worth all of the added costs especially if a store isn't paying for me to be there.

I agree 100%.

I'm probably one of the few yahoos who'll facilitate for a shop, but within driving distance.

I was asked to do one just this weekend in DE, which is about a 90 min drive for me. Possibly a little more. But I've got the day free, and it IS Jim Steranko, so there's that.

But Big K is 100% on spot there----it's a lot of work with little reward, nobody is compensating you monetarily for time & gas.

Free pizza IS cool though. Let's call a spade a spade! :thumbsup:

**As an aside, I've found that the shops that are doing big sales at the same time as a signing bring lots of traffic.

****Also, for every rule, there is an exception. The biggest one of which is FCBD.

I've flown out to Maine on FCBD to do Turtle signings and/or been at Third Eye for their big events. FCBD is always fun no matter where your LCS is or where you're going.

Is there a minimum # of CGC SS books needed as well? I mean a number mandated by CGC?

If you have enough time, and you have people who are willing to spend some money, it is possible. The problem, as is most often the case in this phase of the hobby, is that many people just want to send books without proper prep or filling out of paperwork, and then nickel and dime their way through the process. These same people will be the most vocal when there are issues with grading or shipping, or unforeseen additional costs, like creator fees or funds for the store owner.

That is why most of these get done by a tight knit group of people who can trust one another, and know how the system works, as opposed to opening it up to the public and reaping the thankless storm that comes from doing just that.

For a witness to be paid normally, and I do leave that slightly open, minimum is 100 books total.

And as Rich stated there are exceptions. FCBD is a huge one and can get some to go far out of there way for books to be done which reminds me, Rich are you going to te TMNT with Laurd thing?

As for doing things in person rather than taking submissions here, it does become more of an issue when explaining fees and such. I've had to tell some it is the price and no this isn't something you haggle with. I also know that I love having the same guy email me on a daily basis for status changes on his books even when giving the timeframe and shooting him the link telling projected times. Also explaining those day are considered "business" days because some will calendar that stuff out. Biggest reason I don't like doing on site as opposed to mail ins.

I do like and am willing to travel for a few stores though in Tyler Texas (In-laws home) and they pay for the shippment as well as compensate, my LCS here in the Fort Hood area, and Bazinga Comics in San Antonio as well as Heroes and Fantasies. Those are pretty much the exception for travel for me. There's also a small Dallas show I like going to help out as they actually are fun to attend. But outside that I've really had to stop traveling unless the store compensates because I'm tired of the "we'll have tons of submissions" and when the days over I have closer to 10-20 books.

And as Rich stated there are exceptions. FCBD is a huge one and can get some to go far out of there way for books to be done which reminds me, Rich are you going to te TMNT with Laurd thing?

I do like and am willing to travel for a few stores though in Tyler Texas (In-laws home) and they pay for the shippment as well as compensate, my LCS here in the Fort Hood area, and Bazinga Comics in San Antonio as well as Heroes and Fantasies. Those are pretty much the exception for travel for me. There's also a small Dallas show I like going to help out as they actually are fun to attend. But outside that I've really had to stop traveling unless the store compensates because I'm tired of the "we'll have tons of submissions" and when the days over I have closer to 10-20 books.

Working on that one, big K. I think Laird is a distinct possibility.

If you like, on your part, keep me posted in regards to what might be happening on your end over at Bazinga or Heroes & Fantasies. They've had some good signings in the past! I'd be keen to participate in some fashion if they've got some nice guests!

Suppose to have Tim Duncan and another after how well the Mike Choi and him did. Place was a mad house and the only store signing that I walked away happy. JTyler Christopher was at Bazinga not long ago. Both stores are looking for monthly artists now. As they message me I will shoot you over details.

Suppose to have Tim Duncan and another after how well the Mike Choi and him did. Place was a mad house and the only store signing that I walked away happy. JTyler Christopher was at Bazinga not long ago. Both stores are looking for monthly artists now. As they message me I will shoot you over details.

Duncan, interesting hm

Duncan, interesting hm

+1