• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 March Madness Comic Grading Tournament - Round of 4

39 posts in this topic

Man, I've been following along at home after being knocked out in the first round (WITH THE HIGHEST LOSING SCORE - #bitter,me? :insane: )... but all I can say is that this round would've seriously embarrassed me.

Not.even.close. on 3 of the 4. I'm in awe of these guys. (worship)

Untitled-1_zpsxjxpoheh.jpg

Guess you'll be putting on the dress anyway Toro, great run and round..those were tough...you always put me to shame in Nik's old contest :frustrated:

and I was surprised to see the RACK get taken out by Drew.. :o ...great job to all and see you next round ya crazy canuck :whee:

Here were my late night rambles.....

Tough books

ASM 300: Final Grade 7.5

lots of spine tics and thumbprints, and a spot at the bottom center....want to say anywhere from 7.5 to 8.5...leaning towards the 7.5.....could be even lower???

CAP 117: Final Grade 8.5

great copy with general rub wear, minor tics and edge conditions, but generally very pleasing structurally. Feathering wear probably from pressed thumb creases at the upper edge. ranged from 7.5-9.0 but really think it's an 8.5 (maybe lower?)

Showcase 34: Final Grade 4.0

thinking even lower towards a 3.5, but has a nice presenting image even though the spine appears to have ct removed along the entire length and then there's the obvious piece missing and tear on the back. Don't really see it higher grade than a VG but it does present nicely.

XMEN 266: Final Grade 9.2

Ranged this one from 9.2-9.4 but really don't think there's enough general qualities to call it a NM.

Feeling like this round I could be way way off :lol:

:o

:whee:

That ASM completely flummoxed me. My first negative score. I realize now that the front right edge was a mess and it must have been what dragged the score down so far.

But luckily I made it up on the other three, and Mike was JUST far enough off to let me slip through.

Great game, Mike, and well played through the entire competition.

Toro & comicdey: I'd be honoured to play against either of you. (worship)

But since it can only be one of you, I'll see comicdey in the Finals thread.

You've got to hand it to Blowie and all the books he made available for this contest.

:applause:

And with that double-overtime earlier in the week I was wondering if he'd have enough books for the final.

Great contest, and congrats to the finalists!

Oh, the pain of it all. :cry: I choked this round. :sick: This was tons of fun. I really appreciate everyone who participated and put this thing together.

I think next year we need more grading trash talk. Like -

"You grade so badly, all your PGX books failed the prescreen."

"You grade so badly, you gave Lady GaGa a 9.8."

"You grade so badly, you were pleased with your order from Mile High Comics."

"You grade so badly, you buy raw silver age from eBay."

and so forth.

Before the books came out I almost PMd Comicdey to see if he wanted to make a side bet. Then the books for this round came out and no way in heck would I do a side bet with those books.

Good Luck guys I can only imagine what the final books are going to look like. :insane: