• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ugliest Stan Lee SS ???

67 posts in this topic

Not once, or twice, but three times :facepalm:

IMHO I think the seller could get more for a modern book signed by Stan Lee if they chose a different book. Not a good return on the investment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/W-W-CGC-SS-9-8-BATMAN-SUPERMAN-1-1ST-PRINT-SIGNED-BY-STAN-LEE-MOVIE-DC-VS-/271862201132?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4c3ffb2c&nma=true&si=KnpI7v6HJ%252BsVZPtr3LV%252Fwiidh7o%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CGC-SS-9-8-BATMAN-SUPERMAN-1-1ST-FIRST-PRINT-SIGNED-BY-STAN-LEE-MOVIE-COMING-/271857161129?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4bf313a9&nma=true&si=KnpI7v6HJ%252BsVZPtr3LV%252Fwiidh7o%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CGC-SS-9-8-BATMAN-SUPERMAN-1-1ST-FIRST-PRINT-SIGNED-BY-STAN-LEE-MOVIE-COMING-/271845629432?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4b431df8&nma=true&si=KnpI7v6HJ%252BsVZPtr3LV%252Fwiidh7o%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

:facepalm: ...and the saddest thing is peeps are bidding on 'em! lol

Here is a 4th one still going from same seller :screwy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/W-W-CGC-SS-9-8-BATMAN-SUPERMAN-1-1ST-PRINT-SIGNED-BY-STAN-LEE-MOVIE-DC-VS-/371328677130?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5674e9f50a

I don't think it is a secret that books like these make me absolutely crazy. The mystery to me isn't why people get them done but rather why CGC allows them the CGC SS label. I was under the impression that the signer had to have some connection to the book being signed.

(shrug)

One would think that, but if that was true, then a lot of books signed by Stan shouldn't be allowed by CGC. E.g. What's Stan's connection to Deadpool or a lot of other modern books? The only thing I can think of, didn't Stan do those Stan presents DC books?

It's pretty clear that CGC has said "F it" as it relates to Stan Lee and having a "connection" to the books. I'm not sure that there was anything else other than that to do. With the volume of books being done for him, it is enough of a circus just to make sure they are properly witnessed and processed.

One would think that, but if that was true, then a lot of books signed by Stan shouldn't be allowed by CGC. E.g. What's Stan's connection to Deadpool or a lot of other modern books? The only thing I can think of, didn't Stan do those Stan presents DC books?

Sometime ago, I was told the reasoning behind stuff like Deadpool and Wolverine was that it was a Marvel book and he is the face of Marvel, so as tenuous as it is, it was sort of related.

It's pretty clear that CGC has said "F it" as it relates to Stan Lee and having a "connection" to the books. I'm not sure that there was anything else other than that to do. With the volume of books being done for him, it is enough of a circus just to make sure they are properly witnessed and processed.

I suppose.

There is also the throw away gag on Big Bang Theory about Sheldon having Stan Lee sign his latest Batman issue so it would be unique. It was borderline chuckle inducing but then every person_too_unaware_of_social_graces that saw it thought it would be funny to get one done. I thought it was funnier that as soon as Sheldon mentioned having it signed so that it would be unique, Raj said he would do the same thing. Just like everybody that is getting one done now.

:eyeroll:

At what point will Stan's sig be so devalued that it will be worthless? Definitely no scarcity of it, if anything the market is flooded and I doubt there are very few books that there aren't multiple signed copies of. As well, will future generations even care if a book has his sig or not? Will his sig eventually devalue the books he has signed?

At what point will Stan's sig be so devalued that it will be worthless? Definitely no scarcity of it, if anything the market is flooded and I doubt there are very few books that there aren't multiple signed copies of. As well, will future generations even care if a book has his sig or not? Will his sig eventually devalue the books he has signed?

People have been talking about it for years, and it hasn't happened yet. I don't see it happening, but I hope it does. I would love to get down on some devalued JIM 83, TOS 39, and AF15

I asked myself the same question like 3 years ago and I see the answer as it's already in decline. Initially, it used to be a rare thing, but now it's plastered every-which-way-from-sunday that I think the pendulum is going to swing the other way in that collectors will want books that don't have his sig. How much will that swing? LIkely not too much, but a shift none the less. Time will tell.

When Stan does pass, the market will be ABSOLUTELY so flooded with his sigs, that initially it won't sustain the higher standard it used to. Maybe once those initial issues are gobbled up (shrug)

Jerome

You are probably looking at a few years to make that initial adjustment though. The casual collectors will come out of the woodwork with all their non-cgc signatures from all these shows as well as all those CGC copies all the boardies are sitting on.

I'm sure the non comic book collectors with buy up copies of Stan Lee signed books when he does pass. Just like when the Obama ASM 583 books came out with multiple printings. The masses will be out in force to get a copy of a Marvel book with his sig.

I imagine we are seeing the low point, or close to it, right now. The closest parallel I can come up with would be Babe Ruth. He is an iconic player that is instantly recognizable. Baseball fans and non-fans at least know of him so his signature should be among the most valuable, right? Well...sort of. The man was incredibly generous. He signed darn near everything that was put in front of him. Sound familiar? I seriously doubt Stan's signature will ever reach the same value as Ruth's (the supply is much greater) but as long as there are comics, someone will want Stan's signature and the certified/verified sigs will always draw a premium.

I asked myself the same question like 3 years ago and I see the answer as it's already in decline. Initially, it used to be a rare thing, but now it's plastered every-which-way-from-sunday that I think the pendulum is going to swing the other way in that collectors will want books that don't have his sig. How much will that swing? LIkely not too much, but a shift none the less. Time will tell.

When Stan does pass, the market will be ABSOLUTELY so flooded with his sigs, that initially it won't sustain the higher standard it used to. Maybe once those initial issues are gobbled up (shrug)

Jerome

Stan could sign books every minute for the rest of his life and they would never become more plentiful than the 1990 Spider-man 1 and the other books in your own sig line. You just don't seem to like signed books, if you think the books will ever fetch a premium specifically because they lack a signature.

I just lucked into buying an original copy of his high school yearbook (vintage..not a reprint). I'm at the point where I would much rather value his signature on something like that than a book that he most likely had nothing to do with. This item at least is associated with his history

I just lucked into buying an original copy of his high school yearbook (vintage..not a reprint). I'm at the point where I would much rather value his signature on something like that than a book that he most likely had nothing to do with. This item at least is associated with his history

Or you could get one of the literally thousands of comics that he wrote signed.

Or you could get one of the literally thousands of comics that he wrote signed.

never heard of them. its either batman beyond convergence #3. OR high school year book. There's nothing else.