• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Seller Issue...

257 posts in this topic

To the OP,

Part of what bothers me about this thread is how you conducted yourself. If I have this straight:

• You bought a book from a seller
  • You sent the book in to be graded
  • Before encapsulation, the book was shown as trimmed
  • You relayed the trimmed information to the seller and ultimately, he gave you a refund with what sounds like fairly little effort

And after this, you didn't leave a positive feedback? (shrug)

How is having to return something a positive experience?

Because people are human, don't always agree, and good faith efforts should be rewarded...?

:shrug:

To the OP,

Part of what bothers me about this thread is how you conducted yourself. If I have this straight:

• You relayed the trimmed information to the seller and ultimately, he gave you a refund with what sounds like fairly little effort

Because people are human, don't always agree, and good faith efforts should be rewarded...?

:shrug:

Yep.

I sold a set of Manifest Destiny books, 4-7, and while I am sure this isn't the case, the seller had an issue with the condition of the #6. Not a large money book, and the seller wanted either a partial refund or for me to replace the book. I couldn't do a replacement, and getting him to send the book back would cost more than it's worth, so I offered up a 1/4 value of the whole auction refund ($3) and told him to keep the book. He was very pleased, and after receiving the refund, left me a glowing positive FB on eBay.

I chalked it up to the price of doing business and am glad my FB is unmarred.

:)

-slym

I think the OP has made it clear the negative was because of the failure to mention CGC's opinion in the new listing, not his experience directly.

I'm on the fence about that.

I am not on the fence about offering up CGC's opinion on the book in the new listing. It is bad business not to do so. From the seller's email replies to other posters, he seems to be taking the stance that he doesn't quite believe the seller sent it to CGC.

I will offer this: the book is gorgeous, expensive, and desirable. Why isn't it in a CGC holder for sale? There's only one reason why. If it was my book, I would have sent it to CGC before selling it, and would have certainly sent it right after it was returned as possibly trimmed.

But that's just me. Go figure.

The seller is saying he doesn´t agree with CGC and raises reasonable doubt. Not much you can do in this situation + he can probably get that neg removed since you got refunded and all of this is based on an invoice screenshot.

Just because a seller refunds a buyer does not mean they can remove the buyer's negative feedback. If it's the buyer's opinion they had a negative experience there are very few criteria that will erase that negative.

True. But from EBay’s perspective, an invoice screenshot is hardly any proof that the book is trimmed and the seller can point that out. If the book was graded and was in a slab, there would be something more solid to rely on.

I don´t doubt the OP, but a screenshot doesn´t even prove that the invoice was for that particular book. It could be an invoice for another 107.

Geez people are going out of their way to think up what if's. LOOK at the book. It is trimmed. It is obviously trimmed too. No bottom overhang, no top overhang and the top is razor sharp. If there was overhang on the bottom it could be cover shift but on a silver Marvel there has to be one or the other.

I´m not discussing the trimming of the book. I wouldn’t presume to know trimming even with the book in hand, never mind from a scan. I´ll leave that issue to the experts here.

My point was regarding the Ebay transaction itself. The seller raised reasonable doubt about the trimming. Lacking a scan of this book in a purple slab with a trimmed notation, he can probably get the neg removed from the feedback.

If I was the seller I would send the book for grading before listing it again.

I wonder what would happen if this was actually a transaction from the board and the seller put it back up for sale with no comment about being trimmed.

lol And he said:

"I believe you have no rights to what CGC may or may have not said in the past about my raw books. So no past history will be listed next to them, even if CGC said they were restored.

Me and my expert here says books are suuper sweeeet! Buy em up! I'll make you a deal! :headbang:

"People don't trim cheap books!" :insane:

To the OP,

Put yourself in the seller's shoes. Let's say you sell a raw book described as unrestored. The buyer receives it and claims it has restoration and wants to return it. Whether you agree with the buyer's assessment or not, a good seller would accept the return and refund the money without hassle. Is that what you'd do? Sure, you'd likely be out shipping fees, but you did the right thing and you chalk it up to the cost of doing business.

But what if even though you offered a hassle free return and even ate the cost of shipping, you received a negative feedback. Does that sound fair to you? You did everything right. That's just punishing someone for good behavior.

Not ending up with an item doesn't automatically equal a bad experience. It's all about customer service. Don't punish good behavior with bad feedback.

I wasn't saying that having to return something is automatically a bad experience. I just don't really see it as a positive experience. I've had a few things I had to return or get a refund on. I don't think I left negative feedback for any of those. But I didn't leave positive feedback either. Usually in that case I don't leave any.

I think most people here would tend to side with the opinion that the top edge is trimmed.

That's not really the issue.

The buyer bought the book, sent it to CGC, got their OPINION and relayed that back to the seller.

The seller took the book back and issued a refund. He's under no obligation whatsoever to then add to his auction that a previous buyer returned it as he felt that due to a third party opinion the book is trimmed.

That he disclosed this opinion to another interested party anyway when he didn't have to speaks volumes.

CGC are not god, they provide an opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

The seller did as much as can be reasonably expected and did not warrant recovering a neg for it in the slightest.

No I'm not.

But I am saying that the seller was under no obligation to. Everyone on this board weights the opinion of CGC much higher than the greater collecting community.

CGC give an opinion. Nothing more. Agree or disagree with it.

I wasn't saying that having to return something is automatically a bad experience. I just don't really see it as a positive experience. I've had a few things I had to return or get a refund on. I don't think I left negative feedback for any of those. But I didn't leave positive feedback either. Usually in that case I don't leave any.

Why not neutral? It's an option.

Why not neutral? It's an option.

I have. In fact I made a thread about an issue a few weeks ago where I left a neutral.

No I'm not.

But I am saying that the seller was under no obligation to. Everyone on this board weights the opinion of CGC much higher than the greater collecting community.

Do you consider yourself to be under obligation to disclose the fact that cgc considers a book to be restored when you sell it?

No I'm not.

It's as if, in the process of trying to see the other side of the argument, it means that you will also be perceived by some as being guilty of the infraction. :facepalm:

So, you're saying that if you knew that cgc had determined that a book you owned was restored, you would sell it without disclosing that fact?

If I disagreed with their opinion, yes, of course.

+ 1 .......GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u