• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is Star Wars #68 expensive compared to 67 and 69?

43 posts in this topic

I believe the reason this book is valuable is because the cover shows a Mandalorian that most of the comic book world assumes its Boba Fett. They believe this is, as stated above, a "reintro" of Boba Fett. Surprisingly enough, its not Boba Fett on the cover or in the issue at all.

The character is actually a different Mandalorian named Fenn Shysa.

This link could probably give more of an in depth explaination. Hope this helps.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_68:_The_Search_Begins#app_characters

Where does the Marvel Super Special 16 fit into this?

... or the oversized Special Edition that was treasury sized? Or the smaller paperback edition?

I believe the reason this book is valuable is because the cover shows a Mandalorian that most of the comic book world assumes its Boba Fett. They believe this is, as stated above, a "reintro" of Boba Fett. Surprisingly enough, its not Boba Fett on the cover or in the issue at all.

This link could probably give more of an in depth explaination. Hope this helps.

lol(worship)

That's awesome! It's amazing what you can learn by actually reading the comic books themselves. Of course, that's hard to do when they're being gobbled up and passed around by ignorant speculators faster than bunkhouse flapjacks...

lol(worship)

That's awesome! It's amazing what you can learn by actually reading the comic books themselves. Of course, that's hard to do when they're being gobbled up and passed around by ignorant speculators faster than bunkhouse flapjacks...

Does this mean that if more people learn of this that this book will start to plummet?

I find it kind of ridiculous to tell the truth. The first appearance is in ESB or if you have a card back with the mails way.

For example, I would rather own a production cel from Batman the Animated Series featuring Harley Quinn's first appearance rather than Batman Adventures 12 in a 9.8.

Actually I would rather have a good cel from that episode of Batman Adventures too. Do those ever pop up?

Occasionally but they are few and far between. Many people do not recognize what they are and also keep in mind that these cels were sold at the Warner Brothers stores back in the 90's. Some people have these sitting on their walls without realizing the actual importance of what they have. I currently have two production cels remaining from Batman the Animated Series that I have brought with me from place to place and always have hanging on my wall. I still have some Disney stuff too but from shorts or the TV series and nothing from the full length animated movies.

To tell the truth, you would never know I collect any stuff because everything is boxed up and away with the exception of a few cels and a page of Romita Jr Spider-man art. I had worked with selling Disney animation when I was in college. We had made friends with the WB guys and we would clue each other in as to what was going to hit the floor before it actually hit the floor. I wish I had snagged a Harley... but who knew?

My Batmans...

BAS-PA-CatandtheClawP2.jpg

BAS-PA-ChristmaswiththeJoker.jpg

There is evidence that the cover art IS Boba Fett due to the inclusion of the wookie pelts on his person. Fenn Shysa does not have those. There is another Mandalorian that does, but he doesn't appear in the comics until issue 69.

... or the oversized Special Edition that was treasury sized? Or the smaller paperback edition?

I think the treasuries and paperbacks are reprints. Not sure about the MSS 16.

When I think of the animation artwork collection I used to have I just get very angry. I managed a WBSS gallery for over 4 years and specialized more in the DC aspect more than the Looney Tunes.

Buzz, those are some great pieces you have there. Wonderful stuff!

When I think of the animation artwork collection I used to have I just get very angry. I managed a WBSS gallery for over 4 years and specialized more in the DC aspect more than the Looney Tunes.

Buzz, those are some great pieces you have there. Wonderful stuff!

Thanks - so you know the stuff that never made it to the floor. There was stuff that WB employees had dibs on first. Then they would call up the Disney guys to take a look and THEN whatever was left was available to the public.

I can only imagine what was cherry picked on the regional or district level.

I became friends with the distributors at the Gallery HQ out in California. There was one for the litho stuff, one for the limited edition cels and then I was really good in with the guy who went to the WBA warehouse to pick the production cels for release in the gallery. When I'd have my gallery receptions I'd really get the primo stuff. That was, by far, the most fun job I've ever had. I even sold a couple of the airbrushed title cards..."Christmas With the Joker" and "Harlequinnade."

I used to have some killer OPCs, but sadly they are long gone along with all my lithos, limiteds, maquettes and plates. I believe I have actual photos of a couple of them (no digital camera for me back then). I'll have to see where they are.

I actually know where a few of my pieces are. Terry Austin bought some of them from me. One of these days I'll have to ask him if I can buy them back...assuming I ever am able to collect big ticket stuff. Here's hoping! :)

Ha - My Joker is from that episode Christmas with the Joker. I sold a bunch of things off but nothing I regret.

This was the last thing I picked up from Heritage...

Pencils from Mickey's Rival

Mickey Mouse Production Drawing Animation Art (Walt Disney, 1936)

lf.jpg

I think the treasuries and paperbacks are reprints. Not sure about the MSS 16.

The paperback is regarded as the first printing of The Empire Strikes Back adaptation:

http://swcomiccollector.blogspot.com/2014/12/first-appearance-boba-fett.html

MSS #16 and the Treasury were both on sale for many months before Star Wars #42 went on sale in September 1980.

lol(worship)

I think the cover is suppose to be Boba Fett, but it still doesn't change the fact Fett only appears in a single panel on a two page spread inside the comic:

http://swcomiccollector.blogspot.com/2015/03/retro-marvel-star-wars-68-versus-star.html

I find it kind of ridiculous to tell the truth. The first appearance is in ESB or if you have a card back with the mails way.

For example, I would rather own a production cel from Batman the Animated Series featuring Harley Quinn's first appearance rather than Batman Adventures 12 in a 9.8.

Actually, for Boba Fett's first appearance, you need to buy a bootlegged copy of The Star Wars Holiday Special or a production cell from the cartoon that featured Boba Fett in that show. It predates all other appearances of Boba Fett including his appearance on the action figure cardbacks.

lol(worship)

Does this mean that if more people learn of this that this book will start to plummet?

It is doubtful. It does have an appearance by Boba Fett albeit a small one. The cover is Boba Fett and Fett does appear in a single panel on a two page spread inside the comic.

Actually, for Boba Fett's first appearance, you need to buy a bootlegged copy of The Star Wars Holiday Special or a production cell from the cartoon that featured Boba Fett in that show. It predates all other appearances of Boba Fett including his appearance on the action figure cardbacks.

Here's another variable to consider:

The first appearance of Boba Fett is an interesting case. The very first time he was seen in a piece of sequential art is different than his first appearance in comic books. He first appeared in Russ Manning's syndicated newspaper strips, which appeared prior to the theatrical release of Episode V.

Source: http://comicbookdb.com/character.php?ID=744

Here's another variable to consider:

The first appearance of Boba Fett is an interesting case. The very first time he was seen in a piece of sequential art is different than his first appearance in comic books. He first appeared in Russ Manning's syndicated newspaper strips, which appeared prior to the theatrical release of Episode V.

Source: http://comicbookdb.com/character.php?ID=744

The comic strip featuring Boba Fett, The Frozen World of Ota, started on June 17, 1980. Boba Fett first appeared in this strip on June 19, 1980:

http://dailysw.blogspot.com/search/label/The%20Frozen%20World%20of%20Ota

So, Marvel Comics Illustrated Version of the Empire Strikes Back was available before the strip. And most likely so were Marvel Super Special #16 and the treasury-sized Marvel Special Edition #2: The Empire Strikes Back. But, definitely not Star Wars #42.

The reason everyone thinks Star Wars #42 came first is because Overstreet for years has listed those other publications as being reprints of Star Wars #39 - 44. Unfortunately, Overstreet is wrong. Marvel wanted a variety of formats of The Empire Strikes Back for sale when the movie came out.

The reason everyone thinks Star Wars #42 came first is because Overstreet for years has listed those other publications as being reprints of Star Wars #39 - 44. Unfortunately, Overstreet is wrong. Marvel wanted a variety of formats of The Empire Strikes Back for sale when the movie came out.

I think you're mistaken on that.

Overstreet treats the the adaptations in Marvel Super Special as the first printings; the multi-issue comic size movie adaptations are listed as reprints of the corresponding MSS issues.

The listing for Marvel Star Wars issues 39-44 has the notation "The Empire Strikes Back-r by Al Wiiliams in all" - the r designating that those issues are reprints.

Likewise, the listing for Krull 1,2 notes "Adaptation of film; r/Marvel Super Special". Same is true for Buckaroo Banzai, Conan the Destroyer, Sheena, Star Trek 1-3, etc. Though not the case for Annie for some reason.... hm

I'm pretty sure that's not a recent change either. While I only have my Guides from the last decade, I'm pretty sure that's always been the case.

I think the mistaken perception that #42 is the first appearance has more to do with willfull ignorance rather than a mislabeling on Overstreet's part - a large number of collectors would simply prefer that his 1st appearance be in comic book format rather than a magazine or paperback. CGC doesn't even note #42 as a first appearance, so it's not even really comparable to the Hulk #271 debate.

I think you're mistaken on that.

Overstreet treats the the adaptations in Marvel Super Special as the first printings; the multi-issue comic size movie adaptations are listed as reprints of the corresponding MSS issues.

The listing for Marvel Star Wars issues 39-44 has the notation "The Empire Strikes Back-r by Al Wiiliams in all" - the r designating that those issues are reprints.

Likewise, the listing for Krull 1,2 notes "Adaptation of film; r/Marvel Super Special". Same is true for Buckaroo Banzai, Conan the Destroyer, Sheena, Star Trek 1-3, etc. Though not the case for Annie for some reason.... hm

I'm pretty sure that's not a recent change either. While I only have my Guides from the last decade, I'm pretty sure that's always been the case.

I think the mistaken perception that #42 is the first appearance has more to do with willfull ignorance rather than a mislabeling on Overstreet's part - a large number of collectors would simply prefer that his 1st appearance be in comic book format rather than a magazine or paperback. CGC doesn't even note #42 as a first appearance, so it's not even really comparable to the Hulk #271 debate.

I just looked at several Overstreet guides going back to the early 1990s. You are correct about the notation, so I stand corrected. I like dealing in facts, so I appreciate your correcting me on that.

I've mentioned this before. If you look at all the foreign printings of the Empire Strikes Back adaptation, the U.S. Star Wars #42 is probably not even in the first 10 printings of that material.

Ultimately, this probably comes down to what an individual collector considers a comic. I include the various formats (magazines, paperbacks, trades, etc.) as comics whereas others do not. I was not even aware there were some collectors who didn't consider a magazine like Marvel Preview or paperbacks like the Archie digests as comics until I joined these boards.

Is there a comprehensive list somewhere of all the SW comics Marvel published in the 70's-80's? There are treasuries, comics, mini-series, paperbacks, etc. Does a list exist?

Thanks!

Ultimately, this probably comes down to what an individual collector considers a comic. I include the various formats (magazines, paperbacks, trades, etc.) as comics whereas others do not. I was not even aware there were some collectors who didn't consider a magazine like Marvel Preview or paperbacks like the Archie digests as comics until I joined these boards.

I'm with you on that. When I hit the comic rack and magazine stand as a kid, I was just as excited at finding an issue of Marvel Super Special or Savage Sword of Conan as I was with any of the new comics on the spinner rack.

Other than the inconvenience of collecter storage, I've never understood the prejudice against diffrent formats; I loved them all.