• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is The SDCC A True Bucket List Item?

25 posts in this topic

It was when I was a younger man. Similar to Mardi Gras - its now too packed and crazy for me.
You spoke my words exactly - get out of my head.

It was when I was a younger man. Similar to Mardi Gras - its now too packed and crazy for me.
You spoke my words exactly - get out of my head.

But look at all the room in here. You could fit ten people in all this empty space lol

Was stationed at Camp Pendleton (well next to it at Assault Craft Unit 5) near Oceanside from 2000-2003 so made it down to San Diego those years, so it is checked off of my bucket list. :-D

Is it on yours? (shrug)

It's an experience unlike any other in American comics and something you will not ever duplicate any where else.

If you can make the trip I'd highly recommend it. If not, there are always other cons for comics.

This trip is not just about comics, it's about the entire package - comics, the weather, the history behind the event, the location, the attitude, the spectacle, the buzz.

Is it on yours? (shrug)

It's an experience unlike any other in American comics and something you will not ever duplicate any where else.

If you can make the trip I'd highly recommend it. If not, there are always other cons for comics.

This trip is not just about comics, it's about the entire package - comics, the weather, the history behind the event, the location, the attitude, the spectacle, the buzz.

Speaking of package - how do you get all the books you buy back home. I'm assuming I'd have a huge stack of books by the end of the weekend which would probably be larger then a carry on bag. Do people ship their books back home to avoid paying for the extra airplane bag charge? Always wonder how people get large purchases home from Cons like Seattle or San Diego.

Being in NY I have somehow only managed to go out west once. It was at San Diego but for a business thing. I made sure to visit the gaslight district and the zoo while I was there. If I get to head out west again it will be to visit the Grand Canyon. With NYCC in my backyard, I am okay couch touring it for SDCC.

Been there, done that- back when it was a comic show.

It's different now. The entire city becomes the con.

There's still lots of comics, there's just lots of everything else as well.

Is it on yours? (shrug)

Speaking of package - how do you get all the books you buy back home. I'm assuming I'd have a huge stack of books by the end of the weekend which would probably be larger then a carry on bag. Do people ship their books back home to avoid paying for the extra airplane bag charge? Always wonder how people get large purchases home from Cons like Seattle or San Diego.

yes, shipping is the way to go.

Yep, it's on my list. If I have a list I guess. I went so far as to get a Sunday ticket this year and enter the parking lot lottery and thought I had a sweet deal where I was going to be heading to California for work for a week and then that changed so maybe next year.

Being an east coaster as well I figure I will only do this show once, maybe Emerald once and maybe one of the Arizona cons once and then stick to the cheaper travel.

Even though SDCC has every major national dealer in attendance, plus having the best back issue vintage material every year mixed with comic book infused pop culture, but yea it really isn't about comic books anymore. :eyeroll:

If you bring your wantlist to SDCC and don't buy anything than that is your problem because the material is there year after year. So stop your non-sense!

Some of comments regarding SDCC makes some of you guys look very uneducated.

Most of the so called "all about comics" cons are usually filled with $1.00 book dealers and if by chance they have big books they are usually both over graded and overpriced.

Baltimore Comic Con is the exception but that is about it. I can understand why a lot of people are not fans of most Wizard Worlds cons, but shows like C2E2, SDCC, and NYCC are making our hobby grow.

I mean it sucks to go to a show and see the magnitude of how our hobby is branching out to other media markets. Who wants to see that? meh

Is it on yours? (shrug)

Been there, done that- back when it was a comic show.

It's different now. The entire city becomes the con.

There's still lots of comics, there's just lots of everything else as well.

+100

Completely agree.

No other show like it.

Is it on yours? (shrug)

Couldn't agree more. It's a 12000 mile round trip for me, but I've been a few times and always had the best ot times. San Diego by itself is gorgeous and a pleasure just to visit.