• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Come on now, who *tought* this guy how to grade ?

34 posts in this topic

hm , my mistake. Apparently, used socks are stinky hot.

http://www.dailydot.com/culture/used-socks-sold-ebay/

With the help of his girlfriend, TeamYMD auctioned off a pair of used Hanes ankle socks with the back story that they were worn by a “hot college jock,” he said in an email interview with the Daily Dot.

The pair sold for $12.50.

“I really couldn't believe it,” TeamYMD said in the interview. “My girlfriend was pretty amazed as well. It kind of just snowballed form there.”

Over the next 2-3 years, he sold hundreds of pairs of used socks and earned about $10,000, he said.

Late Sunday night, TeamYMD did a a Reddit IAmA where he answered questions about his used sock empire. The post was insanely popular, collecting more than 1,800 comments and 3,200 upvotes.

TeamYMD sold dress socks, new socks, and random socks he picked up at the Salvation Army. For some buyers, the dirtier the socks, the better, TeamYMD said.

“I mess you not, I found a pair of soccer cleats thrown away in a garbage can outside my colleges soccer field in the dead of winter, frozen in ice,” he wrote on Reddit. “I brought them inside, slipped them on, made up some good story about how they’re ‘super smelly after a rough soccer game I just had’ and took pics and sold them for around $50.”

Selling the socks took some finesse. TeamYMD posted photos of him wearing the socks “pulled tight so you can see my toes through it,” he wrote on Reddit.

It wasn’t just about selling socks, it was about selling a story. And that story was mostly for men with foot fetishes, he wrote on Reddit.

Used socks? Who the hell sells used socks on ebay?

Big market for used socks and underwear on the internet. I read an article on Deadspin about it. Apparently a decent roi can be had if you take the time to follow the individual instructions of your clientele.

Used socks? Who the hell sells used socks on ebay?

Big market for used socks and underwear on the internet. I read an article on Deadspin about it. Apparently a decent roi can be had if you take the time to follow the individual instructions of your clientele.

I liked the disclaimer - "the photos in this add are for illustrative purposes only no adult content is implied at all" lol

No, no, you have it all wrong! He's grading them 9/2, 9/4, and 9/6!

In other words, 4.5, 2.25, and 1.5!

:D

Pssst....if everyone could please tone down the 476 large pics in their sigs, it would help us read threads without having to scroll left and right constantly.

:wishluck:

This has to be the best ebay message I've ever had, regarding in this case a Silver Surfer # 1 I have up :

Surfer 1

which I dare say some people may say is graded rather loosely, but not according to this genius -

"I'm a comic grader I don't no who graded you comic grade 3 Stevie wonder from the looks of the cover I've not seen the back or inside but its grade is more than 3 I could grade it in 10 mins i graded an iron man first edition issue 1 for a guy up to a grade 7/5 or 8 a dealer said grade 6 you don't need more than 10 mins to grade a comic if you no what your looking for Im 30 years collecting comics a top grader tought me I'm the best these so called pros no nothing grade 9/2 9/4 9/6 theres no such thing had to message you if its 9/2 9/4 9/6 rust me its a 9 grade no comic is ever a grade 10"

Just awesome stuff, and many thanks to him for alerting me to his insanity, thus allowing me to block him without the heartache of actually having to deal with him.

Check out his sales - rather scary stuff...

for Sale

How on Earth does he have a girlfriend anyway ?

Hard to translate, but doesn't this guy think your book is better than a 3.0?