• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

KAMALA KHAN
1 1

879 posts in this topic

To everyone screaming "who wants a preview comic?" the Ms Marvel story that appears in ANMN "Garden State of Mind" is an original story that you can't get anywhere else.
I am fine with it and agree its first full. preview or not... CM #17 2nd has merit as well and is KEY. pre-dates the point one. The 4 books all have merit ! I just don't like it when someone is putting down an apparent Key instead of recognizing it !

The second print is a "Design" cover.

It almost seems like an ad that has been placed on the cover, since it doesn't really correlate to what is happening inside the book.

The ANMN has a fun story inside, where she talks, is in costume, announces her name and wrestles with a fridge at the dump.

True ! but first EVER cover appearance.. first ever appearance as Ms marvel.. Its tricky ! Why does marvel play with our heads...

To everyone screaming "who wants a preview comic?" the Ms Marvel story that appears in ANMN "Garden State of Mind" is an original story that you can't get anywhere else.

It's actually collected along with Ms. Marvel Issues #1-5 in the first Trade Paperback.

As a digital comic also but talking single issues.

I am fine with it and agree its first full. preview or not... CM #17 2nd has merit as well and is KEY. pre-dates the point one. The 4 books all have merit ! I just don't like it when someone is putting down an apparent Key instead of recognizing it !

I've only seen a couple put down CM 17 2nd print and it is silly to put down any book but I've seen way more take a dump on ANMN. Maybe because of how much they spent on it maybe because how much they want to sell it for but they do not sound like fans of the character. Either way all 4 have merit and personal favorite is Ms Marvel #1

It's actually collected along with Ms. Marvel Issues #1-5 in the first Trade Paperback.

As a digital comic also but talking single issues.

I've only seen a couple put down CM 17 2nd print and it is silly to put down any book but I've seen way more take a dump on ANMN. Maybe because of how much they spent on it maybe because how much they want to sell it for but they do not sound like fans of the character. Either way all 4 have merit and personal favorite is Ms Marvel #1

I have CM 17 2nd print, ANMN 1 and Ms. Marvel 1. I'm a fan of the character and I read the series digitally. I think she's got a bright future in Marvel's plans... she's already an Inhuman and now an Avenger. I think it will be fun to see how she handles being an Avenger while in school and avoiding being perma-grounded by her parents. I think CM 17 2nd print is the book to own and what I have seen is folks knocking it down as they hype ANMN 1 as the new hotness.

This debate sounds pretty much hollow as it’s not clear if we are talking of what is more "desirable" as a book and what is the actual first Ms. Marvel story.

The Point One is clearly the first story (I have not read it, but it has been confirmed) while the second print of Captain Marvel #17 may be desirable and scarcer but it doesn’t change the fact it’s not the first story and of course proper appearance.

This does not mean the #17 should be less valuable, it just means most people do not care about such details, but want to have the story, and as much as one might like the cover variants, it’s something additional.

And please, it’s Kamala Khan, not Kamala Kahn. :P

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Spelling errors noted. Either way I do agree that Kamala is a throwback to the original marvel days of real creation and I hope they keep her on that path. Real fun to read and I am a fan.

I believe beauty has of course its subjective facets, but it is an objective thing, and I am also not sure if you were saying this as related to collecting: what I mean is simply that you are reasoning as a "traditional collector" (if there is such a thing) while even the most passionate Ms. Marvel reader could not care so much about having a second print of a Captain Marvel issue featuring Carol Danvers (and badly drawn too) just because of a (albeit nice) cover. That was my simple point. :hi:

Also, I just read Ms. Marvel #14 and I couldn’t agree more: I loved it, I hope Wilson will keep developing her with the same consistency. :)

The modern "young collector" mostly buys trades and digital anyway. I've seen them post their collections on reddit and other places it's shelves of trades and omnibuses (omnibi?). It's hard to imagine a more serious young collector foregoing the book of their favorite character in favor of a nice Forever People. And when I was a young collector I wanted THE book, the desirable one. I don't think either has narrowed its appeal to a specific "collector," it's the speculator/collector that is determining the future appreciation of all these books, as it always is. The "sensible" young person was probably going to trade-wait anyway.

I don't doubt that the price of CM 17 2nd will stay strong because speculators will keep moving copies amongst themselves - if a young collector (mostly with limited income) wants to go at it, more power to them. When I was a young collector, I also wanted THE book. I'm just glad that my common sense prevailed and I'm able to enjoy this hobby stress free.

CM 17 2nd is definitely a desirable book but why overpay when you can get a nice first full appearance in ANMN at a much affordable price? Maybe I'm just naive to think that collecting in a sustainable manner is very much alive.

What copies?. And in case you have not read hulk 180 it's a one page ...panel cameo with a word bubble.. It's a good analogy. Your common sense is clearly not common.

My head hurts. I'm out... ;)

The modern "young collector" mostly buys trades and digital anyway. I've seen them post their collections on reddit and other places it's shelves of trades and omnibuses (omnibi?). It's hard to imagine a more serious young collector foregoing the book of their favorite character in favor of a nice Forever People. And when I was a young collector I wanted THE book, the desirable one. I don't think either has narrowed its appeal to a specific "collector," it's the speculator/collector that is determining the future appreciation of all these books, as it always is. The "sensible" young person was probably going to trade-wait anyway.

I don't doubt that the price of CM 17 2nd will stay strong because speculators will keep moving copies amongst themselves - if a young collector (mostly with limited income) wants to go at it, more power to them. When I was a young collector, I also wanted THE book. I'm just glad that my common sense prevailed and I'm able to enjoy this hobby stress free.

CM 17 2nd is definitely a desirable book but why overpay when you can get a nice first full appearance in ANMN at a much affordable price? Maybe I'm just naive to think that collecting in a sustainable manner is very much alive.

What copies?. And in case you have not read hulk 180 it's a one page ...panel cameo with a word bubble.. It's a good analogy. Your common sense is clearly not common.

My head hurts. I'm out... ;)

Yeah me too I'm happy to know the label is where it is and I'll leave any other subjective arguments of what's a 'better book' to the rest.

IMO, CM14 ≥ ANMN1 > CM17/2nd

First named appearance in costume as Ms. Marvel and on the cover has gravitas, at least close to or equal to first unnamed cameo appearance.

2c

CM17 2nd print Cgc notes:

Ms Marvel (Kamala Khan) Cover

Pre-dates Ms Marvel #1 (4/14)

This is not, not will it ever be, listed as a 1st full appearance of Kamala Khan, that will be ANMN #1

It will still be one of , if not the, Key Ms Marvel books. Now a days, I look at anything beyond 1st print cover A of everything, to be a 2nd print / reprint. Collectibility and rarity make most top books now, convention variants= 2nd prints. East of west RRP = reprint. Saga RRP = reprint, and so on.

That CM172nd print is a sick book. The "RRP" of Ms Marvel books, IMO.

FYI: Voldemort labels it as of now "first appearance of Grace Valentine. Last issue. doh!

I also love that people call them Voldemort, but I have been pretty pleased in all aspects of dealings with the evil ones, so far.

In Valiant's Archer & Armstrong, the Sect regards Armstrong similarly, calling him He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named. I think it makes for sense to call the new, respectable company Armstrong, and the one run out of someone's garage Voldemort.

I just realized Cpt Marvel 17 2nd prints go for $250+.

Wow.

Yep. I'd like to see that bubble burst as ANMP1 is actually the first app.

Why the hate, man? There's room for both. :baiting:

BTW - Captain Marvel 17 (2nd print) cameo in book, first full costume on cover of book, release date according to Marvel: December 11, 2013

Was it really that far back?

Some time ago, I decided that I was going to start collecting Carol Danvers appearances. I think with the increased attention to her the last few years, especially with the name change to the name that a pretty significant trademark for Marvel, that within a decade or so she'll be viewed as Marvel's Wonder Woman. So when the Phase 3 movie lineup was announced, I realized that I shouldn't wait on picking things up. (I had already secured several copies of Marvel Super-Heroes 13 and Ms Marvel 1 in high grade.) I hit the back issue bins for some recent books the next day. I was a little disappointed at the time that I had to settle for some reprints for certain issues.

w4czoCo.jpg

Usually they raise back issues by only a quarter. I got ripped.

Phase 3 announcement was in October. That means the issue was there for 10 months. Still in decent condition.

Semantics. I think it was clear the point was it's not an excerpt from an upcoming book.

First named appearance in costume as Ms. Marvel and on the cover has gravitas, at least close to or equal to first unnamed cameo appearance.

2c

I think you mean:

CM14 < ANMN1 < CM17/2nd

Not in my opinion - I know CM17/2 is $corching right now, but as far as significance... I just don't get it.

Unless I'm mistaken or missing something - it's not Unnamed-Person's first appearance, not even in cameo (that's CM14).

It's not the first time the name "Kamala Khan" ever appeared in comics and while in costume too (that's ANMN1).

I just don't get all the hoopla about "Unnamed-Person's first appearance on a cover". (shrug)

But to each his own... collect what you enjoy and enjoy what you collect! :cool:

2c

I think you mean:

CM14 < ANMN1 < CM17/2nd

Not in my opinion - I know CM17/2 is $corching right now, but as far as significance... I just don't get it.

Unless I'm mistaken or missing something - it's not Unnamed-Person's first appearance, not even in cameo (that's CM14).

It's not the first time the name "Kamala Khan" ever appeared in comics and while in costume too (that's ANMN1).

I just don't get all the hoopla about "Unnamed-Person's first appearance on a cover". (shrug)

But to each his own... collect what you enjoy and enjoy what you collect! :cool:

I was misinterpreting one of your comments. I think this is going to be one of those situations where there is no relevant analogy to point to. But even if there was, I agree with "buy what you want." Of course, lots of collectors let what they want be influenced heavily by the market.

2c

I think you mean:

CM14 < ANMN1 < CM17/2nd

Captain marvel 17 2nd predates ANMN as well.. That's why you don't get it.

I went with the shotgun method on her before prices went up. Bought 4x Point One, 6x 17 2nd, 3 MM 1, 2 MM1 1:100... Couldn't miss lol.

on 17's general significance.. Isn't it like this? Un-named cameo =14 Kamal Khan's name is first mentioned in 17?