• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New restored AF#15 CGC 9.0 Slight (P) on ComicLink

16 posts in this topic

Obviously the "two small pieces added to the cover" are on the bottom of the book, hence scan on only the upper portion.. Too bad because it might be worth getting it unrestored if the pieces are on the edges. Also, what kind of insufficiently_thoughtful_person seller does a tape pull on such an expensive book. tonofbricks.gif $30K is alittle screwy.gif

Obviously the "two small pieces added to the cover" are on the bottom of the book, hence scan on only the upper portion.. Too bad because it might be worth getting it unrestored if the pieces are on the edges. Also, what kind of insufficiently_thoughtful_person seller does a tape pull on such an expensive book. tonofbricks.gif $30K is alittle screwy.gif

No, I think they are along the top edge where the tape caught the book. You can see what I think are the pieces replaced along the top edge, and the color touch.

Didn't the owner of the book post about it here once? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It does look familar. Would you unrestore this baby? Those pieces look pretty big. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I wouldn't have the resto removed because I don't mind restoration as long as it is disclosed. But for $30K? That book is going to sit for a LONG time. Unrestored 8.0s (which would be a generous grade for that book with a tape pull) go for around $12K, and a Slight (P) 9.6 with one tiny 1/16th inch piece added, a 1/16th inch tear seal, and two or three hits of CT (in other words, less work than this book has had) sold for $16,000 last year and is worth about $20-25K now. Unrestored 8.5s are worth about $25K and an unrestored 9.0 sold last summer for $48K.

I think that at $12K, this book MIGHT sell. Maybe. But I wouldn't be the buyer, and I am in the market for a book like this (9.0+ Slight (P) AF#15). I would pay no more than $8-9K for this book. If this is the same book that sold in August 2003, the seller paid a little over $5K for it.

I don't think that's the same book.

I remember the tape pull being much larger and obvious. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It is the exact same book.

Here is the old thread about it.

The first time he auctioned it with a reserve, it looks like the bidding got up to just under $32,000 and didn't hit reserve. He then relisted it at $19,000 and did not get a single bid. That first auction had to be BS bidding because neither of the two bidders who bid more than $19,000 in the first auction placed a single bid in the second auction, and the book went unsold.

I remember the tape pull being much larger and obvious. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The first time he auctioned it with a reserve, it looks like the bidding got up to just under $32,000 and didn't hit reserve. He then relisted it at $19,000 and did not get a single bid. That first auction had to be BS bidding because neither of the two bidders who bid more than $19,000 in the first auction placed a single bid in the second auction, and the book went unsold.

You are correct.

I thought the tape pull was more of a square shape.

My memory is failing. hail.gif

ah yes, i remember it all now.

while i'm not astounded at the grade of 9.0, i am curious.

wouldn't the piece replaced/color touched areas that don't have an excellent color match or look like a thumbnail crease, now be considered minor defects??

and wouldn't that number 6 (which i suppose would get typically overlooked as an arrival date of some sort) now be a defect as it seems pretty obvious that an attempt was made to remove it? the surrounding area is a lighter shade of grey than the rest of the cover.

when you add on the slight staple distress and tiny color flake on the upper staple and about 6 color breaking spine creases on the top half of the cover alone - a 9.0 seems quite generous IMHO..........

and a sale price of $30K is insane 893whatthe.gif as FFB points out, there were NO bids the last time out at a $19K starting price. (i agree that the big "6" is a significant visual drawback.)

hey, i wish the dude luck but suspect it's gonna be a long wait just to crack the $20K barrier on that book........and maybe that's the strategy, afterall..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

ah yes, i remember it all now.

while i'm not astounded at the grade of 9.0, i am curious.

wouldn't the piece replaced/color touched areas that don't have an excellent color match or look like a thumbnail crease, now be considered minor defects??

and wouldn't that number 6 (which i suppose would get typically overlooked as an arrival date of some sort) now be a defect as it seems pretty obvious that an attempt was made to remove it? the surrounding area is a lighter shade of grey than the rest of the cover.

when you add on the slight staple distress and tiny color flake on the upper staple and about 6 color breaking spine creases on the top half of the cover alone - a 9.0 seems quite generous IMHO..........

and a sale price of $30K is insane 893whatthe.gif as FFB points out, there were NO bids the last time out at a $19K starting price. (i agree that the big "6" is a significant visual drawback.)

hey, i wish the dude luck but suspect it's gonna be a long wait just to crack the $20K barrier on that book........and maybe that's the strategy, afterall..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It is impossible to bid less than $15,000 on it on ComicLink right now, so the book will probably sit there without bids forever. 27_laughing.gif

Crack pipe pricing such as this is a huge turnoff. It really sucks when people put ridiculous, stupid high prices on books via Comiclink and other sites, just hoping that some sucker will come along and pull the trigger. This is a fairly extreme example, but nosebleed BIN's have become all too commonplace. 893censored-thumb.gif

If anyone wants to buy my Strange Tales 101 for a million-jillion dollars, PM me! screwy.gif

and can I make time payments?

Only if there is a $8000 re-stocking fee if you can't make the full number of payments. gossip.gif

makepoint.gif

That sounds fair! tonofbricks.gif