• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX in hot water?

107 posts in this topic

Yeah, I'm not a lawyer, but if there's proof of PGX giving sweetheart grades to people that the company has personal or business relationships with, couldn't that be considered tampering or conflict of interest? Like I said, I don't know anything, I'm just wondering aloud.

In the end, it's probably about like a scoring scandal in figure skating.....all subjective, hard to prove wrongdoing, etc.

Perhaps they could demonstrate dude graded books he then sold to show a pattern of deceit/incompetence

41e808I.png

Um, no talking about other grading companies, please. :preach:

joJ55ar.png

I believe that only refers to direct competition. PGX is a joke and shouldn't be considered competition.

I bought two PGX books and had CGC re-grade and slab them and they came back with a higher grade than PGX gave them.

Same here... sh don't try to convert the masses.

Is this where we pretend PGX isn't a complete scam just because you managed to pick up a couple of books they had undergraded? :popcorn:

My last PGX purchase was a 9.9 modern that had a 1" tear on the back cover :thumbsup:

Personally I would never, and will never send them a single book to grade. I treat a PGX book as a raw copy in my view. But I have seen people have / write with the mindset where any book in a PGX slab must be overgraded and restored. To me, that is a pretty poor outlook.

I treat a PGX book as a raw copy in my view.

I have to say, I do the same with CGC.

You don't know what you're getting until you crack a book out. I crack books out a lot, and I can tell you, it isn't a sure thing with CGC either.

If you can't grade for yourself, then I don't know what to tell you, except you'll probably be in for a rough ride in this hobby. Or maybe struggle by in happy ignorance.

The outer well of CGC hides many flaws, however, some times you can tell that a book is over-graded through the well. On a book that looks right, grade-wise, you'll never know if it is over-graded until you crack that outer well - that is when things become very apparent. And even then, you won't be positive until you cut the book out of the inner well.

Word to the wise - it is all just an opinion. Educate yourselves.

Have you ever read the PGX disclaimer? They don't guarantee the grade, acceptance, or even resto detection. They basically guarantee nothing other than a slab with a number.

I think what's at issue is the conflict of interest. If you click on the link within the link it appears the buyer believes he bought the book from a PGX employee. The non-disclosure of the relationship between seller and grader seems to be at the heart of the matter.

If the buyer purchased the book from a PGX employee than the buyer may have a winnable case, on the grounds of willful deception/conspiracy,grand larceny and other legal terminology...which I know little about....

However, my father is an attorney, who specializes in criminal defense.If there are no other lawyers on the board, I'll ask for his take which would prove to be very insightful.

I do remember that there were /are verified reports of people who purchased PGX graded books and had similiar experiences......and that the owner of PGX also was proven to have an eBay selling account, wherein he had many sales that were all PGX graded books, which reeks of slimyness and actually..............a ***class action suit*** may be possible, as well.

Calss action suit against PGX filed or not, the *verifiable* pattern of deceitful behavior, if the plaintiff were to dig thru this forum and contact the buyers who received similiar shakedowns from PGX, that would show (reinforce) a judge that the deception/nondisclosure involved with the FF 1 was not an outlier and that whenever ill gotten gains can possibly had, PGX has shown themselves to do just that.

I feel compelled to quote myself from the tax advice thread:

All right...., normally I'd have to pay double to watch 100 monkeys hump the same football, but here, it is for free :applause:

Carry on....,

You do not need to be a lawyer to see that this case will go nowhere. Grading is subjective. Aside from that there are defects in a comic book that CGC may be stricter on than say CBCS and PGX. On top of that, there are defects that CGC may be a little more forgiving on.

Dead wrong, you are missing the point....copy and paste FTW:

He would have to allege fraud which requires significantly more specifics before you can even get to discovery.

Like I said in my last post, my old man is an attorney.

I can ask for his input, next week....but there has to be a couple lawyers on the board who can also post their thoughts.

I'd really like to see PGX out of the business and convicted on criminal charges, they certainly deserve it.......

SO,TO ALL BOARDIE LAWYERS, KINDLY RALLY UP AND CONTRIBUTE TO THIS THREAD.

Your thoughts would be very appreciated, by not only the board but comic collectors/dealers, as a whole.

Have you ever read the PGX disclaimer? They don't guarantee the grade, acceptance, or even resto detection. They basically guarantee nothing other than a slab with a number.

So no different to CGC, then?

hm

Anyone seen this?

CGC is the leading comic book collector grading and slabbing service. Naturally, where there is a market originator and leder, there will be competition. Such as PGX, which has come under controversy in the past.

Well, here’s a new one. A comic creator is claiming he bought a Fantastic Four comic in PGX 7.5 slabbed condition for $10,000 but, with doubts about its status, had it regraded by, we presume, CGC, who knocked it down to a 5.0, a significant difference in condition and value.

And now, My News LA is reporting that Nash Tennant of Sherman Oaks is suing PGX Comics, alleging breach of contract, fraud, civil conspiracy and negligence. The lawsuit also states “The difference between a 7.5 comic book and a 5.0 comic book is extremely large.”

There are definitely CGC books that have deteriorated or been damaged since they were put in the holder, obviously it depends on what the books grade is based on, but how would one show that the book was stored properly and handled properly in regrading it, etc.

seems like an un-winnable lawsuit to me. Always buy the book, not the grade, regardless of what company letters are on the slab.

Also, another really important reason all companies should have free grading notes, that are extensive and detailed. Accountability is king, and the Monopoly being broken on CGC will hopefully keep pressuring them to be less greedy and more transparent.

Good luck. They clearly state it's the opinion of their graders. They could have made it a 10 and it wouldn't matter. It's the biggest flaw with third party grading.

I treat a PGX book as a raw copy in my view.

I have to say, I do the same with CGC.

You don't know what you're getting until you crack a book out. I crack books out a lot, and I can tell you, it isn't a sure thing with CGC either.

If you can't grade for yourself, then I don't know what to tell you, except you'll probably be in for a rough ride in this hobby. Or maybe struggle by in happy ignorance.

The outer well of CGC hides many flaws, however, some times you can tell that a book is over-graded through the well. On a book that looks right, grade-wise, you'll never know if it is over-graded until you crack that outer well - that is when things become very apparent. And even then, you won't be positive until you cut the book out of the inner well.

Word to the wise - it is all just an opinion. Educate yourselves.

This

I feel compelled to quote myself from the tax advice thread:

All right...., normally I'd have to pay double to watch 100 monkeys hump the same football, but here, it is for free :applause:

Carry on....,

monkey.gifmonkey.gifmonkey.gifmonkey.gifmonkey.gifmonkey.gifmonkey.gifmonkey.gifmonkey.gifmonkey.gif

monkey.gifmonkey.gifmonkey.gifmonkey.gifmonkey.gifmonkey.gifmonkey.gifmonkey.gifmonkey.gifmonkey.gif

actually - think this is the company photo of the PGX grading staff

Good, I hope it burns PGX to the ground. They are a joke, I want nothing to do with them, gives Oregon a bad name. I broke down and bought a PGX 9.8 of EoS #2 Land and planned to just sub it to CGC. It wasn't even a 9.4 it had so many spine ticks and color breaks. Luckily the seller was willing to do a return. #cgcorbust.

Jerome

Anyone seen this?

CGC is the leading comic book collector grading and slabbing service. Naturally, where there is a market originator and leder, there will be competition. Such as PGX, which has come under controversy in the past.

Well, here’s a new one. A comic creator is claiming he bought a Fantastic Four comic in PGX 7.5 slabbed condition for $10,000 but, with doubts about its status, had it regraded by, we presume, CGC, who knocked it down to a 5.0, a significant difference in condition and value.

And now, My News LA is reporting that Nash Tennant of Sherman Oaks is suing PGX Comics, alleging breach of contract, fraud, civil conspiracy and negligence. The lawsuit also states “The difference between a 7.5 comic book and a 5.0 comic book is extremely large.”

Freudian slip?