• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck explains his Mile High pricing

906 posts in this topic

Looking at the numbers I've been charting off his site... it looks like Chuck actually put his money where his mouth is for once.... he DID make a price adjustment... a huge one.

Even on Silver and Gold RAW books.....

CGC stuff it looks like he left alone...., but the price cut on everything else is pretty huge...

He must read this thread!!!

Yeah, it is something. Previously Jaybuck mentioned an item on the website:

Chuck has an ASM 1 listed as "good" on his site. God only knows what the condition is, since there are no images etc. Listed at $11,760.00 Assuming you can use the 60% off codeword of the day that puts the purchase price at $4704+tax and shipping etc. Overstreet has ASM 1 in "good" at $1775. GPA has 2.0s at around $1950. Chucks after discount price is 2.65x higher then overstreet and 2.41x higher then GPA. This is of course assuming that the Good is actually good (and who knows, it may have a detached staple, large spine split, detached cover, large chip out etc which further drops the value of the book).

I just looked, and there is a ASM #1 in Good on the site, listed at $4200. With the codeword in effect at the moment, that's better than Guide price.

There's no codeword in effect - he basically discounted the prices by the previous codeword discount, turned off the codeword and is once again sitting back and letting the suckers roll in.

That ASM #1 is still stupidly overpriced at $4200.

Looking at the numbers I've been charting off his site... it looks like Chuck actually put his money where his mouth is for once.... he DID make a price adjustment... a huge one.

CGC stuff it looks like he left alone...., but the price cut on everything else is pretty huge...

Chuck has an ASM 1 listed as "good" on his site. God only knows what the condition is, since there are no images etc. Listed at $11,760.00 Assuming you can use the 60% off codeword of the day that puts the purchase price at $4704+tax and shipping etc. Overstreet has ASM 1 in "good" at $1775. GPA has 2.0s at around $1950. Chucks after discount price is 2.65x higher then overstreet and 2.41x higher then GPA. This is of course assuming that the Good is actually good (and who knows, it may have a detached staple, large spine split, detached cover, large chip out etc which further drops the value of the book).

I just looked, and there is a ASM #1 in Good on the site, listed at $4200. With the codeword in effect at the moment, that's better than Guide price.

There's no codeword in effect - he basically discounted the prices by the previous codeword discount, turned off the codeword and is once again sitting back and letting the suckers roll in.

Sorry, there was a short overlap in the codeword and reduced prices, but I missed that it had expired (I saw that it was expiring, but not the exact timing).

Sorry, there was a short overlap in the codeword and reduced prices, but I missed that it had expired (I saw that it was expiring, but not the exact timing).

He didn't have to turn off the codeword immediately - all the "new & improved" prices are marked in green:

Image%202015-04-18%20at%203.15.59%20PM.png

Which means that codeword discounts don't apply to these books even if a codeword sale is in effect.

I've got to hand it to him, though - there's nobody else in the business who's quite the carnival huckster that he is :thumbsup:

Chucks whole MO is based on his hugely inflated sense of entitlement. He feels entitled to say whatever he wants and charge whatever he wants to get what he wants. Just as he lowered his prices, he will raise them again, and woe be those who jump in there once the prices are back to their ridiculous multiples.

But Chuck won't del responsible for duping anyone, because his customers are privileged to get to buy from him at ANY price, to be a part of his greatness and for all he has meant to and done for the comics industry for so long.

just a weird guy

He didn't have to turn off the codeword immediately - all the "new & improved" prices are marked in green:

Image%202015-04-18%20at%203.15.59%20PM.png

Which means that codeword discounts don't apply to these books even if a codeword sale is in effect.

I've got to hand it to him, though - there's nobody else in the business who's quite the carnival huckster that he is :thumbsup:

This is not correct. Green prices are subject to the codeword discount. Only blue prices are not subject to discount. Discount applies to every comic book, except new comics, variants and CGC.

Chuck lowered the prices yesterday and you could have gotten those comics with 60% discount if you placed an order this morning, before Noon (Denver Time).

I was able to get my comic order in with the codeword.

I just finished reading the final pages of the Church collection from Chuck and I am was just blown away when I came across this part:

"Another question I am frequently asked, is whether I have had any further contact with the Church heirs. My last visit to Edgar Church's house was in late April of 1977, three months after the comics deal was concluded. Despite their earlier haste, the Church heirs had not succeeded in selling the house by that time, and kept calling me with more collectibles to buy. In total, I believe I made six, or seven, additional trips to the house. During the last trip, I purchased a few dozen posters they had found in the attic. To help (in a small way) compensate them for the incredible bargain I received in buying the comics, I paid them about double for the posters what I would have paid anyone else."

Wow, just wow. I take back everything I said about this deal being underhanded and immoral. He got over 18,000 near mint golden age comics for dirt cheap and his way of repaying the heirs was to pay 2x the value on a couple dozen posters. Wow, what a guy!! Just a class act all the way around. I'm legitimately inspired by this act of kindness of selflessness.

Welcome to the Boards, OrangeCrush.

Thanks! Much appreciated!

I just finished reading the final pages of the Church collection from Chuck and I am was just blown away when I came across this part:

"Another question I am frequently asked, is whether I have had any further contact with the Church heirs. My last visit to Edgar Church's house was in late April of 1977, three months after the comics deal was concluded. Despite their earlier haste, the Church heirs had not succeeded in selling the house by that time, and kept calling me with more collectibles to buy. In total, I believe I made six, or seven, additional trips to the house. During the last trip, I purchased a few dozen posters they had found in the attic. To help (in a small way) compensate them for the incredible bargain I received in buying the comics, I paid them about double for the posters what I would have paid anyone else."

Wow, just wow. I take back everything I said about this deal being underhanded and immoral. He got over 18,000 near mint golden age comics for dirt cheap and his way of repaying the heirs was to pay 2x the value on a couple dozen posters. Wow, what a guy!! Just a class act all the way around. I'm legitimately inspired by this act of kindness of selflessness.

Not to defend his purchase - which I don't think needs defending, he paid them what they asked - but I don't think you read the rest very carefully, because I believe in other parts of the tale he talks about paying more than he might have for other stuff because of the great deal on the first part.

Not to defend his purchase - which I don't think needs defending, he paid them what they asked - but I don't think you read the rest very carefully, because I believe in other parts of the tale he talks about paying more than he might have for other stuff because of the great deal on the first part.

When I tell people about my high school football career, we were always one win away from state and I was just a vote shy of all-state/American status. I get a little better each year that passes!

:D

:shrug:

Chucks whole MO is based on his hugely inflated sense of entitlement. He feels entitled to say whatever he wants and charge whatever he wants to get what he wants. Just as he lowered his prices, he will raise them again, and woe be those who jump in there once the prices are back to their ridiculous multiples.

But Chuck won't del responsible for duping anyone, because his customers are privileged to get to buy from him at ANY price, to be a part of his greatness and for all he has meant to and done for the comics industry for so long.

just a weird guy

AMEN..very well put

I may have read the account years ago so I don't remember the details - do I remember correctly that the books would have ended up in the trash if Chuck hadn't shown up to look at them?

Did the family set a price or did Chuck make an offer?

Has anyone ever documented what the collection would have been worth at the time that Chuck purchased the collection?

If so, what would have been a 'fair' price to pay for the collection?

I may have read the account years ago so I don't remember the details - do I remember correctly that the books would have ended up in the trash if Chuck hadn't shown up to look at them?

Has anyone ever documented what the collection would have been worth at the time that Chuck purchased the collection?

...I think Chuck overpaid. People were only supposed to offer a couple hundred bucks, tops, for old comics back then. They weren't even slabbed (shrug) GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I haven t done the math, (tho I think someone once posted a total value …?) but jeeez, he bought them at cover price -- ten cents a piece! Even at $2 a piece the total would have been 20x what he paid! 40 grand was pretty close to what the house must have sold for back then.

and regardless of whether the heirs just wanted the comics gone from the house. Chuck knew he was ripping them off. He could have made a decent pile of dough and STILL have cut them a much better deal.

AND I realize that 9 out of 10 of us here would have acted pretty similarly in his shoes having lucked into the motherlode… but probably 7 of the nine of us would NEVER go on to trumpet our greatness and business acumen as he has done about the "find". Definitely not say he did them a favor and overpaid for a few items after the fact.

I haven t done the math, (tho I think someone once posted a total value …?) but jeeez, he bought them at cover price -- ten cents a piece! Even at $2 a piece the total would have been 20x what he paid! 40 grand was pretty close to what the house must have sold for back then.

Just wondering, do you have a source for that? I've never seen anyone who said with any certainty how much he paid for it, just all sorts of wild guesses. I'd appreciate it if you can point me towards a credible source.

Thanks.

Just wondering, do you have a source for that? I've never seen anyone who said with any certainty how much he paid for it, just all sorts of wild guesses. I'd appreciate it if you can point me towards a credible source.

Thanks.

I don't have a proper cite myself to help substantiate my statement, but I recall reading the buy was $1800 for approximately 18,000 books. I'm pretty sure this info (valid or not) made the rounds in fanzine articles back in the 1980's.

/grain of salt

My further understanding is that Chuck did not get rich from the Church collection. He's quoted as being barley able to keep the lights on in his stores by the end of it all.This is capitalism folks. People may think he's a bad guy but bringing the Church collection to light just isn't his path to perdition.

Being a retailer, and an inept one at that is however real cause for criticism.

As far as the Church family goes; some people just are not comic book dealers. The family clearly didn't have the time,interest,desire or energy to devote to marketing the books themselves. That is exactly where a comic book dealer would come in.

It just sounds like there is a lot of hate for both capitalism and comic book sellers going on here.

...I think Chuck overpaid. People were only supposed to offer a couple hundred bucks, tops, for old comics back then. They weren't even slabbed (shrug) GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Even worse... all but the top copies were pressed! I know I wouldn't sully my collection with them.