• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck explains his Mile High pricing

906 posts in this topic

Your welcome to disagree, but it has nothing to do with how he found it or what he did with it afterward, nor the timeframe in which he found it. Its simply deals with not properly notifying the people that the collection was FAR more valuable than either party realized. In my opinion, the right thing to do would have been to tell them and work out something where the family got more money. Instead he drove off like a thief in the night. And again, your entitled to disagree. this is simply my opinion. I find the entire event completely disgusting and immoral.

I very much appreciate your tone and your comments. You are right, he should have mentioned something to the heirs about the comics in the closet. I wonder what the FMV of those comics was at that time (also considering that Chuck was not able to check all the comics, but only few of them) and what the heirs would have said. I recall that Chuck showed them the value of other comics on the Overstreet guide, but the heirs were not interested to those numbers and they just wanted to get rid of the comics.

Without considering Chuck's behavior at that time, the discovery of the collection was an incredible finding for the industry and it is still nowadays a fascinating story. I wonder if we will ever hear about other discoveries like this one. Is it possible that Mr. Chuch had been the only guy in the U.S. buying those comics and storing them so carefully?

If he showed them the OPG, and they declined a more detailed appraisal, then no harm no foul...... and over half of the collection, despite it's condition, was absolute drek and was unsellable for years. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

That's absolutely right.

Is there a amount that whole collection was ever appraised at in OSPG prices at the time?

As long as we have the sense of touch, people will want to touch things, to hold things, to connect to things...especially disposable things that can be treated carelessly, and not be destroyed in the process (unlike digital devices.)

I agree with you if we are talking desktop computers and laptops, but if we start talking about Ipads,smart phones or tablets. than the touch and connect part is there.

I know people who would go crazy without their mobile devices. Sad to say it has become an extension to most of them.

With that kind of commitment I could see comics on the Ipad or smart phone easily replacing the old-fashioned comic book.

I have children, and I `m looking at it from their perspective, and not my perspective.

Not to ramble or get off the topic.

10 years ago I thought watching a dvd on a standard TV was cool, while now it`s streaming on HDTV.

I have a hard time watching standard stuff now.

Same thing with reading comics on the iPad. It opened up a whole new world for me for reading comics. I have a hard time reading a comic book from the 70s or 80s now. Not storywise,but the format.The printing itself back, then was bad, and I never realized it. Also ads galore back then.

Things change.

Still I do see comic books having a better future, than most of the collectible hobbies.

Yeah, I have to agree. We could never imagine such a thing as we were raised on physical comics, but the kids being raised today are being raised on computers and tablets. I could very easily see this younger generation moving to digital comics. Again, I don't think physical comics will ever disappear completely, but I do believe that digital will become the primary medium for comics in the future. So much of this has to do with how your raised and again, kids today are raised on computer screens.

Up until a couple months ago, I subscribed to almost the entire Marvel and DC line of comics and I always got the combo pack when available as my 10 year old son actually prefers reading them on his iPad. In my opinion, its all how your raised and again kids today are being raised on computer screens.

If you have to justify and explain your pricing or business model, I'd say your doing it wrong. Personally Mr. Chuckles can explain all he wants but I will never buy what he's selling, regardless of the circumstances.

Your welcome to disagree, but it has nothing to do with how he found it or what he did with it afterward, nor the timeframe in which he found it. Its simply deals with not properly notifying the people that the collection was FAR more valuable than either party realized. In my opinion, the right thing to do would have been to tell them and work out something where the family got more money. Instead he drove off like a thief in the night. And again, your entitled to disagree. this is simply my opinion. I find the entire event completely disgusting and immoral.

I very much appreciate your tone and your comments. You are right, he should have mentioned something to the heirs about the comics in the closet. I wonder what the FMV of those comics was at that time (also considering that Chuck was not able to check all the comics, but only few of them) and what the heirs would have said. I recall that Chuck showed them the value of other comics on the Overstreet guide, but the heirs were not interested to those numbers and they just wanted to get rid of the comics.

Without considering Chuck's behavior at that time, the discovery of the collection was an incredible finding for the industry and it is still nowadays a fascinating story. I wonder if we will ever hear about other discoveries like this one. Is it possible that Mr. Chuch had been the only guy in the U.S. buying those comics and storing them so carefully?

If he showed them the OPG, and they declined a more detailed appraisal, then no harm no foul...... and over half of the collection, despite it's condition, was absolute drek and was unsellable for years. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

That's absolutely right.

Is there a amount that whole collection was ever appraised at in OSPG prices at the time?

You guys are harshing on Chuck too much. Sure he bought them way under guide. But it's not like he didn't turn around and sell them to his customers way under guide as well. :insane:

Hey OrangeCrush,

I'd appreciate it if you would PM me your eBay username so I can look up your transaction and see what it looks like from our side. Without any knowledge of the specific transaction, all I can tell you is that we do not block people from ordering from us just because they reported a purchase as damaged during shipping. When you're selling online you have to expect lost or damaged shipments some small percentage of the time, and take care of the customer when it happens. Blocking a customer who receives a damaged shipment is not our policy and does not make sense. I can only recall one person in our history we've blocked for reporting damaged shipments, and that was because he reported damage to every shipment he received, several in a row. Either he was lying to get money back, or he was telling the truth and had the world's most violent postman. If it was the latter, the shipping issues he reported were beyond our ability to control and we could not afford to keep delivering to him.

Best,

Conan

mycomicshop.com

I would be more than happy to do so and that instance you speak of was definitely not me as I only placed a single order with you. I sent the message concerning the damaged comics and BAM, I was banned, which prevented me from sending you any additional messages. I waited and never heard back from anyone. Again, I was forced to start a case on eBay as I could no longer even get in touch with you.

I am currently on my way out right now as I have to make my Saturday runs (my bakery runs out of all the good stuff by 11:30) and my wife has been nagging me for the las 15 minutes to get off the computer. I will send you that info as soon as I get back. Should be around 2pm this afternoon.

From Chuck's most recent newsletter:

I will start today's newsletter with the news that we just made a massive alteration in the algorithm that prices all of our back issue comics. As a direct result, our website sales exploded overnight by a fator of 5X normal. Simply put, we are receiving more orders for back issue comics this morning than at any other point in time for at least five years!

Source: http://milehighcomics.com/newsletter/041715retail.html

Also, their current 60% sale with codeword STARWARS! expires today, Saturday, at Noon (Denver Time).

He makes a similar claim every other week :gossip:

From Chuck's most recent newsletter:

I will start today's newsletter with the news that we just made a massive alteration in the algorithm that prices all of our back issue comics. As a direct result, our website sales exploded overnight by a fator of 5X normal. Simply put, we are receiving more orders for back issue comics this morning than at any other point in time for at least five years!

Source: http://milehighcomics.com/newsletter/041715retail.html

Also, their current 60% sale with codeword STARWARS! expires today, Saturday, at Noon (Denver Time).

Ouch! doh! Big words :facepalm: my head hurts lol

I suppose this would be good a time as any to say that I have bought oodles of readers from MyComicShop and never, ever had a problem with customer service. Way back in this thread I said that I had no problem with Mile High but I have bought from MCS 5 or 10 times more. Easy.

Someone mentioned something similar earlier, but I think it would be fascinating to hear how a collection as large as MCS has was amassed.

I am currently on my way out right now as I have to make my Saturday runs (my bakery runs out of all the good stuff by 11:30) and my wife has been nagging me for the las 15 minutes to get off the computer. I will send you that info as soon as I get back. Should be around 2pm this afternoon.

Welcome to the Boards, OrangeCrush.

Looking at the numbers I've been charting off his site... it looks like Chuck actually put his money where his mouth is for once.... he DID make a price adjustment... a huge one.

Even on Silver and Gold RAW books.....

CGC stuff it looks like he left alone...., but the price cut on everything else is pretty huge...

He must read this thread!!!

Looking at the numbers I've been charting off his site... it looks like Chuck actually put his money where his mouth is for once.... he DID make a price adjustment... a huge one.

CGC stuff it looks like he left alone...., but the price cut on everything else is pretty huge...

Really...?!?!?

Wow.

Something`s up.

I just came back from there, and the price cuts seem in line with Ebay.

Now watch everybody head over there to buy his "cool books" because of his now cool lower prices!

lol

Personally, I think if anything screws it up, it'll be the publisher's themselves.

this 1000%. I personally believe the whole variant craze is going to significantly hurt the comic industry down the line. Were now seeing issues that have upwards of 15+ different variants, with some being priced in the $75 to $100 range. Its absurd and its completely destroyed completionist collecting.

As most people are well aware, the 2 key things when it comes to overall value in the collectible markets are rarity and demand, but what happens when rarity itself becomes common place? Rare variants were pretty rare back in the day, but now they are everywhere. You have 1:10, 1:15, 1:25, 1:100, virgin covers, sketch covers, and now hand drawn covers. Rare isn't what it used to be and eventually the market is going to be absolutely flooded with them.

I was actually a big baseball card collector in my youth (I luckily sold a few years before the big crash), and I see a lot of similarities right now between the sports card market of the 80's and early 90's and comic collecting today. I hope I am wrong as I really enjoy comic collecting. I would hate to see a crash in this market. Unfortunately I believe that is exactly where we are headed, which is why my primary focus has shifted away from modern comics and more towards silver and bronze age.

As the younger generation grows older and becomes one of the diving forces of the comics market, financially speaking, I believe that digital comics will surpass printed comics in sales. I don't think printed comics will ever go away completely, but I do believe that digital will become the primary medium for the comic market.

Long term...Right on..Chucks prices have always been up and down.......

Something`s up.

I just came back from there, and the price cuts seem in line with Ebay.

Now watch everybody head over there to buy his "cool books" because of his now cool lower prices!

lol

The price of Barney Bear in VF dropped from over $90 down to $34. :o

Yeah, it is something. Previously Jaybuck mentioned an item on the website:

Chuck has an ASM 1 listed as "good" on his site. God only knows what the condition is, since there are no images etc. Listed at $11,760.00 Assuming you can use the 60% off codeword of the day that puts the purchase price at $4704+tax and shipping etc. Overstreet has ASM 1 in "good" at $1775. GPA has 2.0s at around $1950. Chucks after discount price is 2.65x higher then overstreet and 2.41x higher then GPA. This is of course assuming that the Good is actually good (and who knows, it may have a detached staple, large spine split, detached cover, large chip out etc which further drops the value of the book).

I just looked, and there is a ASM #1 in Good on the site, listed at $4200. With the codeword in effect at the moment, that's better than Guide price.