• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How does this happen?

31 posts in this topic

Got some grades the other day from CGC and was looking around to see what other books had sold for in the past - just out of curiosity. When I went to HA, I noticed 2 sales of one -- Laugh 20. As I looked closer I realized they are the same Crippen copy, and I'm confused by the difference in the book over the course of 3 years. Just thought I'd get some other opinions on this.

In 2006, this book was graded 7.5 with White pages. In 2009 the same book graded 8.5 with Cream to Off-White. I realize pages can get worse over time but that's a far fall in my opinion in just 3 years. Book also looks like it was cleaned for the second submission, though it's still Universal. hm

l207.5_zpsrfjasx0o.jpeg

l208.5_zpsvd8hb5i1.jpeg

Anything is possible in the world of CGC.

even in the world of cgc, you can't get a triple play with only one man on.

That's only because Steve Borock doesn't work there any more.

Barring atrocious storage conditions, that drop does seem odd, especially since the consensus is that page quality ratings have gotten more lax over time. Maybe that's a myth.

Maybe the pages started out OW but got a pressing humidity bump back in '06, but then by '09 the acidification triggered by the heat of pressing had turned the pages C/OW.

Anything is possible in the world of CGC.

even in the world of cgc, you can't get a triple play with only one man on.

That's only because Steve Borock doesn't work there any more.

Barring atrocious storage conditions, that drop does seem odd, especially since the consensus is that page quality ratings have gotten more lax over time. Maybe that's a myth.

Maybe the pages started out OW but got a pressing humidity bump back in '06, but then by '09 the acidification triggered by the heat of pressing had turned the pages C/OW.

Thanks Jimbo. That's what I was really wondering about. I know if you submit the same book 5 times you might get a different combo of results from grade to PQ, but I was really thrown by the page quality change. And, if it did reside in a slab for a few years before being cracked, cleaned and re-subbed, it would make me rethink the safety of storing books in a CGC slab.

I know if you submit the same book 5 times you might get a different combo of results from grade to PQ, but I was really thrown by the page quality change. And, if it did reside in a slab for a few years before being cracked, cleaned and re-subbed, it would make me rethink the safety of storing books in a CGC slab.

As a page quality junkie, the page quality change definitely concerns me. However, I don't think any paper deterioration happened because of the CGC slab per se. I would say it was an environmental situation. It's hard to believe it would go from White to CR/OW but 3 years in a warm humid environment like a garage, storage unit, or even a closet may be enough ? You can leave a newspaper on a table and in a month it will be turning yellow. Just saying.

I'm more shocked that a Crippen got white pages to begin with. I expect it was a QA;QC error on the initial grading with the subsequent grading being more accurate. I looked through my spreadsheet and only found three out of more than 200 Crippens that were white pagers. More than 80% were OW or C/OW.

I'm more shocked that a Crippen got white pages to begin with. I expect it was a QA;QC error on the initial grading with the subsequent grading being more accurate. I looked through my spreadsheet and only found three out of more than 200 Crippens that were white pagers. More than 80% were OW or C/OW.

...I was going to mention this also. I've had several raw ones and deslabbed a couple. They often have foxing, which seems to have less impact now than before (see the Billy Wright books....) GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

...I was going to mention this also. I've had several raw ones and deslabbed a couple. They often have foxing, which seems to have less impact now than before (see the Billy Wright books....) GOD BLESS...

If I'm remembering correctly, the first group brought to market by Metro (bought from the contractor) had good page quality. The second group sold later by the Crippen family had shaky PQ because of poor storage.

If I'm remembering correctly, the first group brought to market by Metro (bought from the contractor) had good page quality. The second group sold later by the Crippen family had shaky PQ because of poor storage.

...Excellent point..... I keep forgetting about the first group... GOD BLESS...

Book also looks like it was cleaned for the second submission, though it's still Universal. hm

l207.5_zpsrfjasx0o.jpeg

l208.5_zpsvd8hb5i1.jpeg

I'm trying to figure out what leads you to believe it was cleaned. The second scan looks like it is lighter than the first. Even the label is a lighter shade of blue. But all of the foxing still appears to be present. The pencil arrival date is still present.

You're right, I have no idea. Was just an initial thought. I guess I just thought something had to justify the full point. Cause if there is that little consistency and accountability at CGC when grading a book they've already graded I'm not sure if I should keep cracking and subbing every grade I don't like till I get my way, or if I should just start creating my own labels.

I'm not sure if I should keep cracking and subbing every grade I don't like till I get my way...

That's definitely what some people do. That's why there are far more gift-graded books out there than tightly-graded books. Few people resubmit the gift-graded ones.