• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How does this happen?

31 posts in this topic

So doesn't that completely f-up the census? I find it hard to believe people doing this would return every label.

Absolutely, the integrity of the census is often suspect. Years ago CGC offered an incentive, albeit a measly 5.00, for a return of the original label. About the only thing you can count on in the census is the number of 9.8's. Those don't usually get submitted.

Book also looks like it was cleaned for the second submission, though it's still Universal. hm

l207.5_zpsrfjasx0o.jpeg

l208.5_zpsvd8hb5i1.jpeg

I'm trying to figure out what leads you to believe it was cleaned. The second scan looks like it is lighter than the first. Even the label is a lighter shade of blue. But all of the foxing still appears to be present. The pencil arrival date is still present.

That as the first thought that came to my mind as well.

Heritage did change the scanners they have used over the years (just go through their archives and see all the different types of scans they in there) and simply changing a scanner can make the book look very different.

It may be a terminology thing. In clothes cleaning, we think of "dry cleaning" as involving chemicals. Here I think most people use "dry cleaning" to mean techniques that don't involve chemicals or other "wet" cleaning.

I don't think CGC considers that kind of dry cleaning to be restoration. A "cleaned" designation on a purple label book means that it was subject to wet cleaning.

That's my understanding, at any rate.

It may be a terminology thing. In clothes cleaning, we think of "dry cleaning" as involving chemicals. Here I think most people use "dry cleaning" to mean techniques that don't involve chemicals or other "wet" cleaning.

I don't think CGC considers that kind of dry cleaning to be restoration. A "cleaned" designation on a purple label book means that it was subject to wet cleaning.

Ohhhh that would make sense. Thank u?

...the wet cleaning can also cause light color loss in places, minor loss of gloss, and/or slight shrinking of the cover. I've bought and deslabbed several and they are usually awesome books. It was one of the resto processes that quickly began to receive much higher multiples of FMV than other types of work..... your Cap 10 would fare much better in today's less anal and better educated marketplace. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

...the wet cleaning can also cause light color loss in places, minor loss of gloss, and/or slight shrinking of the cover. I've bought and deslabbed several and they are usually awesome books. It was one of the resto processes that quickly began to receive much higher multiples of FMV than other types of work..... your Cap 10 would fare much better in today's less anal and better educated marketplace. GOD BLESS..

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I couldn't agree with you more Jim! Spot on