• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cashing in

62 posts in this topic

Is it just me or does anyone else think it's really distasteful of people cashing in on Artists who have passed away. I have noticed an influx of new books come up for auction and sale. Is that what the hobby is about, people waiting for artists who are getting on to get signatures and sketches to flog them off at a higher price, once the word has passed there no longer with us? What's going to happen when and hopefully no time soon that Stan Lee passes. Are we going to see the same version but on a much grander scale? I like to think that this hobby is alot more different than others as there is a form of respect for the artists who take the time to sign our books and draw our sketches. Not instantly at the hour we hear them pass throw there books online for thousands of dollars more. Sorry for my rant but kinda bugs me is all.

Breaking news: People can be .

Seriously though, I'm with you. It's not very tasteful, but some folks like to strike while the iron is hot, so to speak. I like to think that people "cashing in" are in some very trying circumstances of their own, and maybe that extra cash from milking a recent death can get them over the hump of making their mortgage payment this month.

It's really the only way I'm able to maintain faith in humanity sometimes.

Or, you can just read the donation thread for Stormsurge. That's a good alternative. :)

I agree that this is a bit crass, but its something you see in any collectable area, including fine art (such as paintings).

Once something is no longer available, the perceived scarcity jumps (along with value) more often than not.

Breaking news: People can be .

Seriously though, I'm with you. It's not very tasteful, but some folks like to strike while the iron is hot, so to speak. I like to think that people "cashing in" are in some very trying circumstances of their own, and maybe that extra cash from milking a recent death can get them over the hump of making their mortgage payment this month.

It's really the only way I'm able to maintain faith in humanity sometimes.

Or, you can just read the donation thread for Stormsurge. That's a good alternative. :)

Yeah I have and it's great to see people who have massive hearts in this community. But what about the people who you know actively don't need the cash and are doing it for there own tasteless reasons. It deffinatly shines different light on them.

I agree that this is a bit crass, but its something you see in any collectable area, including fine art (such as paintings).

Once something is no longer available, the perceived scarcity jumps (along with value) more often than not.

I can understand that but I don't understand why someone would want to sell something so valuable as to have a piece of art or signature from someone who is no longer with us. doesn't that make the value of that to the "owner" so much more?

I can understand that but I don't understand why someone would want to sell something so valuable as to have a piece of art or signature from someone who is no longer with us. doesn't that make the value of that to the "owner" so much more?

It does to me.

I have already decided that I will eventually sell off every collectible I own because I want to give my family the cash, rather then burden them with collectibles they won't want. Having said that, one of the last things I sell will likely be my Joe Kubert SS copy of Sgt Rock 422 :cloud9:

The instant I die I expect Ebay to be flooded with HB memorabilia, such as signed printouts from the Water Cooler of my most memorable debates and put-downs, CGC certified stills from my YouTube appearances, soggy harmonicas with a fine patina of mouth gunk, and so on, at absurd BIN prices.

You're assuming that the owner wants what they own more than the money that it will bring. What if somebody inherited it? What if it's a dealer that is trying to make a living? What if somebody bought it at a thrift shop for 10 bucks because they knew it was worth more than that?

You never know what the circumstances are really, but I totally understand your point. It's crass and insensitive, but that's the way of the world.

The instant I die I expect Ebay to be flooded with HB memorabilia, such as signed printouts from the Water Cooler of my most memorable debates and put-downs, CGC certified stills from my YouTube appearances, soggy harmonicas with a fine patina of mouth gunk, and so on, at absurd BIN prices.

Sweet! If I send you a Bible, will you sign it?

Any insensitivity (and it really doesn't bother me) is on the buyer. If someone's waving £50 notes at me because they heard Elton John just died and I've got a couple of old vinyl LPs of his, you bet I'm taking their money. I don't see how it would be more dignified to say "No, I cannot sell Elton LPs while in mourning. Come back next month" (by which time the buyer will have forgotten they even want one).

If their loved ones look on Ebay all their going to find is listings extolling the awesomeness of the deceased, so if anything it might be kind of... nice!

Sweet! If I send you a Bible, will you sign it?

Yes. Yes I would. Maybe even do a sketch. Do they come in blank sketch variants?