• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happened to More Fun #73?

194 posts in this topic

That's not an actual bid - there is a $6000 reserve on the book, and CLink has pushed the book up to one bid below the reserve (hence the asterisk next to the price).

I don't believe this is correct. I just bid on a "reserve not met" book in the same auction and my higher bid was reflected, but the reserve still was not met.

I'm not sure what is going on with this particular MF 77, but it appears that all Green Arrow MFs are experiencig a resurgence after long stagnation. The MF 74 in the CC auction just sold for 4.5X Guide.

But with Whiz #1, I think it's important that Captain Marvel was once the best selling character in comics, that he was featured prominently on the front cover and that the book hit newsstands in December of 1939.

Ok, hm... let me think about that. :shy:lol

Is there a book that is character-cover-challenged like MF 73 is, and came out in 1941 like MF 73 did, and that -- also due to rarity -- has experienced an even greater recent market run-up than MF 73 has so far?

hm

hm

:idea:

Ok, haha... fun and games aside, of course there is such a book. I am too lazy to dig out my old overstreets to accurately assess this book's historical place in the scheme of things, but in 2010, the big O had it at 1/5 the value of Bat 1, for whatever that may be worth.

Currently, the market says this book is in the same general price class as Bat 1 and Cap 1.

Of course I'm talking about Pep 22.

Is Archie as important as Joker + Catwoman?

Is Archie as important as Green Arrow + Aquaman?

Are there as many serious Archie collectors as there are Batman or Cap collectors?

Project forward 5 years. 10 years. What then?

Are current Pep 22 values more sustainable than current MF 73 values? Why or why not?

Archie Comics seem to be more popular with women than with men. The only way current Pep 22 prices become sustainable is if significantly women come to the hobby and are willing to spend big bucks on comics. It hasn't happened so far. There are a quite a few female comic readers out there, but so far as I can tell, there aren't many female collectors. Women don't seem to measure their self-worth in terms of their possessions the way men do, so I suspect that female collectors will be a lot less concerned about things like census rank, etc.

Paging Baltimore Lauren...

Have there been any other sales to match the 38K for a 3.5? It could end up being a major outlier now that more copies seem to be surfacing. Little doubt it's legitimately a multiple of guide book, but how many is the question.

I'll take some wild guesses.

The 3.0 has a restapled cover with tape up the spine - could limit the premium someone is willing to pay for it. 18K

The 5.5 looks nice. 40K

The 8.0 has a ragged lower right corner with a chip missing. Looks overgraded to me. 62K

Well, it looks like the 5.5 copy on ComicLink went for over $52.5K while the 8.0 copy from ComicConnect went for $99K.

Any idea who had the 3.0 copy and what the final sale price on it was, if it had sold already? ???

What I found appealing about this book is/was its "scarcity" that doesn't seem to be the case as of late and the census is picking up steam......still cool but not as cool IMO . I had MF 73 , AA 16 , and Pep 22in the scarcity class of it's own In terms of Mark's question you can add All Star 8 to the mix with Pep 22

Have there been any other sales to match the 38K for a 3.5? It could end up being a major outlier now that more copies seem to be surfacing.

Yes, I believe the most recent sale of the 9.4 Church copy of this particular issue also went for $38K on Heritage back in 2009.

The 9.4 Mile High copy must have been an outlier as all Church sales are right up there. lol:takeit:

But with Whiz #1, I think it's important that Captain Marvel was once the best selling character in comics, that he was featured prominently on the front cover and that the book hit newsstands in December of 1939.

Ok, hm... let me think about that. :shy:lol

Is there a book that is character-cover-challenged like MF 73 is, and came out in 1941 like MF 73 did, and that -- also due to rarity -- has experienced an even greater recent market run-up than MF 73 has so far?

hm

hm

:idea:

Ok, haha... fun and games aside, of course there is such a book. I am too lazy to dig out my old overstreets to accurately assess this book's historical place in the scheme of things, but in 2010, the big O had it at 1/5 the value of Bat 1, for whatever that may be worth.

Currently, the market says this book is in the same general price class as Bat 1 and Cap 1.

Of course I'm talking about Pep 22.

Is Archie as important as Joker + Catwoman?

Is Archie as important as Green Arrow + Aquaman?

Are there as many serious Archie collectors as there are Batman or Cap collectors?

Project forward 5 years. 10 years. What then?

Are current Pep 22 values more sustainable than current MF 73 values? Why or why not?

Archie Comics seem to be more popular with women than with men. The only way current Pep 22 prices become sustainable is if significantly women come to the hobby and are willing to spend big bucks on comics. It hasn't happened so far. There are a quite a few female comic readers out there, but so far as I can tell, there aren't many female collectors. Women don't seem to measure their self-worth in terms of their possessions the way men do, so I suspect that female collectors will be a lot less concerned about things like census rank, etc.

Paging Baltimore Lauren...

Re -- Archie Comics seem to be more popular with women than with men. The only way current Pep 22 prices become sustainable is if significantly women come to the hobby and are willing to spend big bucks on comics. It hasn't happened so far. There are a quite a few female comic readers out there, but so far as I can tell, there aren't many female collectors. Women don't seem to measure their self-worth in terms of their possessions the way men do, so I suspect that female collectors will be a lot less concerned about things like census rank, etc.

That presumes only females read or collect Archies, which simply isn't the case. Prior to the explosion of superheroes in film, most readers and collectors, male and female, started with Archie comics. The females, by and large, were simply less likely to keep reading comics and segue into superhero comics. That has changed, since the film explosion and now you see more fangirls than you did before, and they like Archie and superheroes.

As for the stuff about census rank, etc, yeah, those are things guys are more likely to be into. But you shouldn't presume that everybody cares about that stuff to the same extent that you and your buds do. Or that caring about those aspects of the hobby are the biggest factors in making something desirable and collectible.

Have there been any other sales to match the 38K for a 3.5? It could end up being a major outlier now that more copies seem to be surfacing. Little doubt it's legitimately a multiple of guide book, but how many is the question.

I'll take some wild guesses.

The 3.0 has a restapled cover with tape up the spine - could limit the premium someone is willing to pay for it. 18K

The 5.5 looks nice. 40K

The 8.0 has a ragged lower right corner with a chip missing. Looks overgraded to me. 62K

Well, it looks like the 5.5 copy on ComicLink went for over $52.5K while the 8.0 copy from ComicConnect went for $99K.

Any idea who had the 3.0 copy and what the final sale price on it was, if it had sold already? ???

Heritage sold the 3.0 for $23.9K., but the tape on the spine probably kept the price down. Comicconnect did sell a 5.0 for $74.5 back in March, so it appears there may be some softening from the peak prices we'd seen.

When taking into consideration eye-appeal, the relationship between the prices on the most recent three copies to be auctioned seems to be what one would expect, meaning nothing appears to be an outlier. I guess we'll have to wait for the next copies to come up to see if the book rebounds to it's peak, has settled or continues to soften. No doubt personal bias colors my opinion, but I have a hard time imaging this book sustains popularity as a major key. Unless Aquaman becomes DC's surprise hit franchise character ( as Iron Man was to Marvel), interest will not be sustainable.

DC has done a 75 year hardcover celebration book for only 4 characters thus far: (in this order)

1. Supes

2. Bats

3. Joker

4. Robin

I don't see this happening for Aquaman and/.or Green Arrow (yes you could argue the continuity aspect), and they haven't done it for The Flash but I wouldn't be surprised to see one next

month for The Green Lantern

Props to The Boy Wonder for keeping with this company.

Looks like another More Fun Comics #73 is up for auction at CLINK for their Summer auction. I am very curious to see the answer to the sustainability of this book. Many of the boardies question it. Soon we will have several stats to to study over multiple grades.

Looks like another More Fun Comics #73 is up for auction at CLINK for their Summer auction. I am very curious to see the answer to the sustainability of this book. Many of the boardies question it. Soon we will have several stats to to study over multiple grades.

What is the grade and PQ on this latest CL copy?

A link for the lazy ones such as me would always help. :headbang:

What is the grade and PQ on this latest CL copy?

A link for the lazy ones such as me would always help. :headbang:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dauctions%26title%3Dmore%2Bfun%2B%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1068308&id=1068308

I wonder if any of this MF #73 upswing will carry over to Leading Comics #1? Leading Comics #1 is the 2nd appearance of Green Arrow & Speedy & their 1st cover! hm