• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happened to More Fun #73?

194 posts in this topic

I wonder if any of this MF #73 upswing will carry over to Leading Comics #1? Leading Comics #1 is the 2nd appearance of Green Arrow & Speedy & their 1st cover! hm
my guess is "no" lol

I wonder if any of this MF #73 upswing will carry over to Leading Comics #1? Leading Comics #1 is the 2nd appearance of Green Arrow & Speedy & their 1st cover! hm

Also a book I have been tracking for a bit of time as I would like to get it, after the first stupid selling price of the MF73 I almost quickly liquidated some books in fear it might. It has seen an extra sale here or there, but price wise I don't think it has had much more than a "typical" inflation type adjustment.

The last copy was a better looking on IMO. Doesn't break 45k this time.

It isn't a bad looking copy. My guess is $32K.

I could think of a handful of better key books to buy with that kind of $

I agree, but it's hot right now. It's weird to think about how recently it was that you could get a nice mid-grade copy Tec 31 or even Tec 27 for that amount of money.

The last copy was a better looking on IMO. Doesn't break 45k this time.

It isn't a bad looking copy. My guess is $32K.

I could think of a handful of better key books to buy with that kind of $

I agree but I still think that this will fetch big bucks. There appears to be tons of dollars/buyers these days that only seem to focus on key books. These books will likely be flipped many times in the years to come.

One of the huge pluses for MF73 was how often it appeared on the market in comparison to an Action 1, Detective 1, or Batman 1. I wonder if purchasing it to quickly flip or regular appearances in the market will effect the price in a negative way.

I don't think regular appearances in the market have had a negative impact on Action 1, Detective 1, or Batman 1. So the same might also be said for MF73.

And as for Leading Comics 1 getting a jump, we may be getting the real answer to question of which character is really driving the upswing in the cost of MF73.

I think Aquaman as opposed to Green Arrow may be the driver of the cost. The evidence of which is the increase in cost for Aquaman books and the question of minimal impact in cost (If at all) for Leading Comics 1.

that said...the person that paid 74K for a so-so 5.0 could have had a much more eye appealing 5.5 for 20K less with some patience... this copy might even fetch less (as more and more folks fill their "want" lists)...

the 8.0 at 99K was a strong price relatively speaking, but I believe much weaker than some thought (I mean, hey, if a 5.0 can get 74K, how can an 8.0 only muster 33% more (shrug) )

Your logic is sound. I think the closest comparison to MF73 was a couple of years ago on CLink when a CGC 5.0 Tec140 went for 8K. The market exploded on that book then settled. But, settled at a higher new normal. A couple more sales and the Aquaman movie will be the deciding factor.

I think the current evidence is leaning toward Aquaman being the primary cost driver for the book in spite of Arrow's success.

the 8.0 at 99K was a strong price relatively speaking, but I believe much weaker than some thought (I mean, hey, if a 5.0 can get 74K, how can an 8.0 only muster 33% more (shrug) )

I don't follow all this that closely, but have gotten the impression with GA books ( key and otherwise) that there is a lot of price volatility when one gets past the mid-grades. The difficulty in lining up comparative sales close in date, less emphasis on a minimum grade over eye-appeal than compared with later eras, and the overall higher prices for any grade when it comes to desirable books appear to make coming up with stable price ratios based on grade much harder than with SA books and later.

How reliable is the assumption approximating guide ratios that an 8.0 book is worth roughly double a 6.0, and that a 9.0 is worth close to twice what an 8.0 is?

Doesn't make it any less true. Time will tell.

A photo of Jason as Aquaman =/= probably the most watch hero show on tv.

Posting a "theory" doesn't make anything true. The only thing that makes it true is posting proof.

Lack of evidence isn't evidence of absence.

You have a point there iceman399. It is kind of difficult to look at Arrow and Aquaman separately considering that they have been kind of married since MF73 and AdvCom 250 but we do have some evidence that might get us a little closer to the real truth in regards to which character is driving force for the increase in cost for MF73 Aquaman or Arrow. Such as:

Arrow TV show premiers 10/12/12

MF73 Unrestored sales for 2011 - 2013

(Evidenced below is the impact of MF73 sales based on pre-show knowledge and during the rise of the most watched hero show on TV)

CGC 5.5 7K 12/11/12

CGC 5.5 8K 2/27/13

CGC 4.5 4K 8/7/11

CGC 4.0 3K 5/16/13

CGC 3.0 3K 12/08/12

Then: Aquaman movie announced 8/13/14

BAM

MF73 Unrestored sales for 2014 - 2015

(Evidenced below is the impact of MF73 sales based on pre-movie knowledge and the casting of Aquaman)

CGC 8.0 99K 6/05/15

CGC 5.5 52K 6/10/15

CGC 5.0 74K 3/30/15

CGC 3.5 38K 11/20/14

CGC 3.0 23K 5/28/15

How do you account for these nose bleed results in regards to a comparison of which character is the driving force for the price increases when you compare TV/Movie marketing release/awareness and MF73 price impact increases?

What your looking at is almost the perfect storm for numerical data only, there are no sales after the first few months of the TV show being out and gaining public knowledge of this relatively unknown "superhero" until 18 months later. After 18 months speculation on movies and tv became huge, we saw big increases in several books:

Action 1 goes for 3.2

Hulk 1 in high grade goes bonkers causing a full price swing

Marvel's Avengers 1 rockets the movie world

Marvel announces a whack of other movies

DC does the same.

MFC in a 3.5 DESTROYS all logic in price and now the market says holy and a bunch more come to market and we now see the down swing of it.

Finally...who has been the butt of all DC jokes as the lamest "main" superhero for years? He pees where he lives. I wish we knew who bought all the MFC's over the past few years as I would make a good wager they bought it for the first Arrow over first Aquaman.

I owned 7 diff mf 73 from 2006 to 2014...never bought one "solely" bc of aquaman but because it was a dual origin of both characters...

I was one of the purchasers that I listed and I bought it for Aquaman. Although, I always knew who Green Arrow was I thought the power of the investment was with Aquaman. I bought the book before the movie was announced because of Aquaman's name recognition. In advertising being recognized for good or bad is better than the sin of being forgotten.

And in regards to the 18 month wait you referenced, you are dismissing all the sales that came directly after the TV show aired. The show release and the sales didn't happen that long ago. These events occurred within this current investment phase of inflated prices being immediately linked to TV/Movie premiers. So you shouldn't dismiss the sales listed because of when they occurred as long as they happened after the airing of Arrow.

CGC 5.5 7K 12/11/12, CGC 5.5 8K 2/27/13, CGC 4.0 3K 5/16/13, CGC 3.0 3K 12/08/12

And you still haven't provided your evidence of why Arrow should be considered more of a driver for the MF73 price increase over Aquaman. Saying he is lame is not evidence.