• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happened to More Fun #73?

194 posts in this topic

The robin to nightwing dynamic, from a comic importance perspective , definitely place the character above aquaman or green arrow (also from a popularity and sales perspective). I believe nightwing is now slated to get his own series as well. Only someone blinded by personal preference would place Robin/nightwing behind ga or aquaman in the grand scheme of the dc universe

Again , aquaman has enjoyed some critical success over the past few years due to the handling in the new 52 relaunch, but he (along with green arrow) are currently very much still second tier heroes in terms of popularity, story lines, sales, merchandising, etc.

Heck, from that perspective one could argue that the joker is more relevant/important to the Dc universe than either

Strictly from a popularity or even importance aspect, the majority of polls and past solicitations rank dc characters (not just heroes) in the following order:

Superman

Batman

Wonder Woman

Green lantern

Flash

Robin/night wing

Joker

Shazam

Green arrow

Aquaman

What happened to More Fun #73? It was a victim of hype and went way out of reach to probably 95% of most comic collectors. Green Arrow is an interesting concept but I find him kinda boring and predictable. Aquaman is better but also pretty predictable as well. More Fun is one of my favorite DCS titles because you also get Dr. Fate and my favorite The Spectre who by that time had a stupid sidekick and lost his "bite" kind of like The Batman after Tec #38. I could spend that money in a lot better way picking up earlier issues or other great books...

I've always felt the book was "undervalued"... heck, I owned 7 copies at one time a few years ago...I would buy every copy that came to market...problem was, it seemed I was the 'only" one buying them... I finally sold all of them, the last being right before last year's heritage outlier sale...c'est la vie, timing is everything (I did keep a 4.0 in my collection)

the book would sit in my convention booths and just gather dust... it wasn't until the Arrow show and recent "hype" that they really started to move...a few early folks way overpaid, prices are correcting down, but it is still a great GA book to have...it just won't remain top tier due to lack of cover design/desirability and the cyclical nature of supply and demand

Are we only talking GA characters here ? I would also put some more recent characters ahead as well. Cyborg, for example.

-J.

not just GA characters, but my guess is there are very few if any "current" characters that have the overall importance (some would argue a Harley Quinn is the 2nd most popular DC character right now, behind batman, and from a sales and merchandise standpoint, that would be correct...but we have to look at the big picture)...

I would say it like this...

is " enter character" more important in DC lore than "enter character"...

not sure anyone would agree that "cyborg" is more important than "aquaman" (in the grand scheme)

further, cyborg doesn't have the history or sales or merchandising support that a green arrow and aquaman does...as least not imo... but "most important" DC characters has to have some defining elements from which to establish the comparison criteria...

Are we only talking GA characters here ? I would also put some more recent characters ahead as well. Cyborg, for example.

-J.

not just GA characters, but my guess is there are very few if any "current" characters that have the overall importance (some would argue a Harley Quinn is the 2nd most popular DC character right now, behind batman, and from a sales and merchandise standpoint, that would be correct...but we have to look at the big picture)...

I would say it like this...

is " enter character" more important in DC lore than "enter character"...

not sure anyone would agree that "cyborg" is more important than "aquaman" (in the grand scheme)

further, cyborg doesn't have the history or sales or merchandising support that a green arrow and aquaman does...as least not imo... but "most important" DC characters has to have some defining elements from which to establish the comparison criteria...

What about John Stewart ? (shrug)

-J.

I wouldn't put john stewart near the top either...longevity certainly plays a "big" role... the history of the character has to count for something...

the sales, the popularity, the merchandising, the media exposure, the effect the character has had and does have on the dc universe... all of these (and other criteria) have to play into the myriad of reasons one character is "higher" than another...

we can't just take a single slice and point to it...has to be a culmination of "all"

we have to define "importance in the dc universe" to arrive at a good, sound comprehensive list

Good discussion. Like I said, where Robin ranks is debatable. I won't knock someone for putting him up there. But that's it. No other hero.

I could never put that little pipsqueak above Green Arrow....and certainly not above Aquaman. And historically, no way he's anywhere near Captain Marvel. Shazam sucks. But Captain Marvel was dominant in the Golden Age.

As for MF 73....and all these Top 8 characters....I think that the gap has to close at some point. In 5 years....in 20 years....but I can't see Superman and Batman, despite their greatness, staying 10X more valuable than all the rest. 3X...5X??....but not 10X.

I honestly thought Lex Luthor would have entered the discussion by now, or even brainiac, both I would rank above GA or Aquaman in terms of importance to the DC universe. :shrug:

Does the MA Harley Quinn character have any type of connection (either direct or indirect) to the GA Harlequin character from the later part of Green Lantern's run in All-American Comics? ???

Does the MA Harley Quinn character have any type of connection (either direct or indirect) to the GA Harlequin character from the later part of Green Lantern's run in All-American Comics? ???

nope, not that I am aware of

I honestly thought Lex Luthor would have entered the discussion by now, or even brainiac, both I would rank above GA or Aquaman in terms of importance to the DC universe. :shrug:
he's right around that 9-12 ranking to most folks...

he's right around that 9-12 ranking to most folks...

As the first Golden Age arch villain to be introduced and continued dominance in the DCU, Luthor is easily a Top Ten overall character, but Big Moov specified "heroes" if I'm not mistaken.

-J.

As for MF 73....and all these Top 8 characters....I think that the gap has to close at some point. In 5 years....in 20 years....but I can't see Superman and Batman, despite their greatness, staying 10X more valuable than all the rest. 3X...5X??....but not 10X.

Why not, there are probably at least 10 times as many Batman and even Superman fans as there are Aquaman or Green Arrow fans, especially when it comes to collecting Golden Age books. Action #1 and Detective #27 are in a class by themselves when it comes to collectable comics. Any one remotely interested in Superheroes will understand instinctively that the first appearances of Superman and Batman are highly desirable and are likely worth a lot of money. Wave a MF #73 in front of them and tell them it's the first appearance of Aquaman and Green Arrow and watch their eyes glaze over. Granted, the book was long under appreciated, mainly due to the lack of cover appearance, and probably should be more valued than the first Hourman or Dr. Fate.

Why not, there are probably at least 10 times as many Batman and even Superman fans as there are Aquaman or Green Arrow fans, especially when it comes to collecting Golden Age books. Action #1 and Detective #27 are in a class by themselves when it comes to collectable comics. Any one remotely interested in Superheroes will understand instinctively that the first appearances of Superman and Batman are highly desirable and are likely worth a lot of money. Wave a MF #73 in front of them and tell them it's the first appearance of Aquaman and Green Arrow and watch their eyes glaze over. Granted, the book was long under appreciated, mainly due to the lack of cover appearance, and probably should be more valued than the first Hourman or Dr. Fate.

I would think 10x is an understatement. And the biggest difference between those two (and maybe Wonder Woman) is that they have been the big 2 (3) for almost the entire time DC has been around. There is no question that Aquaman and Green Arrow are bigger and more important to DC than Hourman and Dr. Fate now. But they were no where near as popular in the Golden Age. Who the top 10 DC heroes are has changed many times in the last 75 years. Who the big two are has never changed.