• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Passes for Conventions...?

27 posts in this topic

So I didn't want to on someone's thread that was posted but I'm trying to understand something. I see from time to time where people are asking to buy dealer passes to certain conventions. When I check, I see that the convention isn't sold out so other than possibly getting in early, what's the point of asking the boards to buy their dealer passes?

Am I missing something here?

No, just that.

If you get in early, you can make deals with other dealers before the doors open. Or you could be first in line if there's some kind of limited convention exclusive.

That's what I figured... just early access. I remember talking to a few friends that were dealers and talked about how some other dealers would pick the best from their shelves and demand a deal because they wanted the books.... ugh.

Might have to look into getting a dealers pass in the future for later conventions I guess.

At ANY show the early bird gets the worm. If a dealer brings a new collection, the dealers rape it before the rest of us shmoos ever see it...

"rape" is a strong word...

just say the dealers protect their market interests so that keys and sweet books don't sell too cheap to others.

;)

At ANY show the early bird gets the worm. If a dealer brings a new collection, the dealers rape it before the rest of us shmoos ever see it...

"rape" is a strong word...

just say the dealers protect their market interests so that keys and sweet books don't sell to cheap to others.

;)

OK, how about "pillage"?

Bottom line is dealers get those deals because they earn that right to do so by:

#1 - paying for booth space

and more importantly...

#2 - working their azz off!

So no need to paint them up as some kind of sneaky thief.

They earn that privilege, trust me.

Bottom line is dealers get those deals because they earn that right to do so by:

and more importantly...

I don't think the OP meant the dealers, who do work very hard for what they get. He means those who buy dealer passes to get the same benefits without the work.

and more importantly...

there is no room for logic and forward thinking here wally.

and more importantly...

I don't think the OP meant the dealers, who do work very hard for what they get. He means those who buy dealer passes to get the same benefits without the work.

Don't those people ALSO work hard for their money? that they use to buy these passes (giving money to dealers) AND buy those comics that money goes to those same HARD WORKING DEALERS). Don't they also have to spend time researching what they want and costs? Just because someone does something for a living doesn't make it any more or less honorable than someone who does it for fun or as a side job. If I pay for a premium opportunity, then take advantage of that opportunity, and everyone involved are adults who buy/sell at mutually agreed upon prices and everyone follows the rules, I don't think there's any problems.

Although subjectively I agree it kinda sucks when it seems like you've been scooped on stuff you or you're looking for. But I think of it more as bad luck then 'someone raped my comics'

I enjoy the access of a Dealer pass and always buy a few things from any Dealer kind enough to sell me a pass. I'm not a big fan of standing in line or getting the boot at closing time.

and more importantly...

Don't those people ALSO work hard for their money? that they use to buy these passes (giving money to dealers) AND buy those comics that money goes to those same HARD WORKING DEALERS). Don't they also have to spend time researching what they want and costs?

there is no room for logic and forward thinking here Revat.

and more importantly...

Don't those people ALSO work hard for their money? that they use to buy these passes (giving money to dealers) AND buy those comics that money goes to those same HARD WORKING DEALERS). Don't they also have to spend time researching what they want and costs?

are THOSE people Dealers? How did you not understand what his point was? Dealers get dealer passes to get in early to set up and do what else they will with there extra time. Im not a fan of non dealers or people not working booths getting them.

there is no logic in the thought that since dealers get them and get to collections first means you have that same privilege.

and more importantly...

are THOSE people Dealers? How did you not understand what his point was? Dealers get dealer passes to get in early to set up and do what else they will with there extra time. Im not a fan of non dealers or people not working booths getting them.

there is no logic in the thought that since dealers get them and get to collections first means you have that same privilege.

No logic other than that they paid their own hard earned money for the privilege, and the dealer(s) who worked so hard for the privilege are happy to take the money for the pass.

Also, there's very little restriction on who buys a dealer badge. You pay the money, you get the badge, no matter how hard you worked or how honorable you are.

and more importantly...

No logic other than that they paid their own hard earned money for the privilege, and the dealer(s) who worked so hard for the privilege are happy to take the money for the pass.

Also, there's very little restriction on who buys a dealer badge. You pay the money, you get the badge, no matter how hard you worked or how honorable you are.

You assume all dealers are selling passes for money. That is not the case, most use the extra passes they have for their top clients as a thank you in appreciation for their business.