• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sensation Comics #1

97 posts in this topic

You didn't notice it was huge?

I'm really confused

So you did notice the size difference?

ok lemme explain i guess

i was assuming it was the regular size book and a collector was asking for advice.

once it came out it was the reprint i wondered why a collector would be fooled-i thought he had snapped the pic and had seen the book.

then it came out he hadn't seen the book.

as facts came in i revised my posts.

Again Kav, this is a disservice to the boards.

Someone asked an honest question, and without any idea what you were looking at, you threw out a value. Roughly $2995-4995 over what Gator estimated it's value.

Can't you see the issue?

Ps I did not 'throw out a value'. I clearly stated it was a guess. If someone spent 5K based on someone else's guess, ignoring any other comments, their problems extend far beyond my posting.

This is a community. No one person has all the answers and is never wrong. Holding me alone to that standard based on your grudge against me is just stupid and petty.

Now that I'm aware you were joking it all makes total sense. Thank god for that new sig line.

Pretty much, lol. He doesn't want to let it go, wants me to "prove" to him that it's not original. He must have lost some money on it... won't listen to reason. I'm done trying to convey the message to him.

I have 'em both, so...

003_zps7hjjy5bj.jpg

I like seeing those side by side like that. And yes, that's a gorgeous copy!

As for the FFE Treasury, (I might not be remembering this correctly) I think someone tried to 'artistically age' some of those maybe a couple of years ago and then stuck them in an old suitcase.

Again, that might not be entirely correct but maybe someone has the story or pics...

Pretty much, lol. He doesn't want to let it go, wants me to "prove" to him that it's not original. He must have lost some money on it... won't listen to reason. I'm done trying to convey the message to him.

I have 'em both, so...

003_zps7hjjy5bj.jpg

Did you remove the Famous Firsts cover, or did you wrap it back behind the "original" cover?

I've been presented with the unique opportunity to purchase this comic, but don't know what a fair offer for it would be. I'm planning on getting it graded if purchased and don't have much to go on besides this one photo. Keeping in mind that value is subjective, I was hoping I could get some opinions as to what YOU would pay for it based solely on this photo. Thank you very much!

image.jpg

Hey, Pirate Lou! Can you tell us any more about the backstory of the guy trying to sell it to you? Is he a local you're exchanging emails with? Did you ask him where he got it? I am curious if he is the scammer, or if he is somebody who got scammed. I always am sorry to hear these stories, but they do make good cautionary tales.

The first time I became aware of the Famous First scams was when somebody was trying to sell an Action Comics #1 on eBay perhaps 10 years ago. This person had the cover-removed Famous First oversize version of Action Comics #1 (which was very beat up) casually laid out on a floor along with a bunch of old coins and other "old stuff" which he said he had inherited from his grandfather. The seller was very cleverly trying to make it look like an inheritance or attic find type situation, and he wrote things like, "I don't know the value of these items and I don't know much about them," etc.

Wire-transfer the only accepted payment, of course. Bids had gone up into the low thousands. I knew something was fishy even though I hadn't seen the scam before, and quickly found the Overstreet notation where they mention alongside the Action Comics #1 value: "WARNING: People have tried to sell the replica Famous First Edition as the original Action Comics..." etc.

I started emailing the eBay seller asking him to measure the comic, and he hemmed and hawed but eventually gave a partial dimensions (he stated the width but made it vague enough that his answer could be interpreted as the height). I said, "That's the Famous First Edition, you need to tell people what it is, otherwise you are misleading them," and the seller revealed he was a scammer and displayed the criminal mindset when he replied, "I don't care, because if people try to buy this from me thinking they can sell it for a profit, instead of me getting the profit, they are the ones who are in the wrong." Or something like that.

It's interesting the rationalizations that people use in order to cheat other people. These sorts of rationalizations are at the root of most criminal behavior -- providing the scammer with a way to deny to himself that he's the bad guy.

One other thing: Though it has been said many times before, DC really screwed up when they issued these Famous Firsts without making some sort of obvious, tell-tale notation on the cover to make it clear the comic is a reprint. I would think that by the mid-1970s they would have been aware enough of the collectibles market to know (if they had any imagination) that people could use the confusion as the basis for scamming.

Many scams rely on greed. If someone walked up to me with a 100 dollar bill and said 'here have a free 100 dollars' I would say no thanks and keep walking.

I've been presented with the unique opportunity to purchase this comic, but don't know what a fair offer for it would be. I'm planning on getting it graded if purchased and don't have much to go on besides this one photo. Keeping in mind that value is subjective, I was hoping I could get some opinions as to what YOU would pay for it based solely on this photo. Thank you very much!

image.jpg

One other thing: Though it has been said many times before, DC really screwed up when they issued these Famous Firsts without making some sort of obvious, tell-tale notation on the cover to make it clear the comic is a reprint. I would think that by the mid-1970s they would have been aware enough of the collectibles market to know (if they had any imagination) that people could use the confusion as the basis for scamming.

I bought a few of these when they hit the stands. At the time it was considered so ridiculously large that there was no possibility of being mistaken for the original.

It's books like this that put some fun into the hobby. No different than GRR's and the countless Action 1 reprints.

I have quite of few of these oversized issues. Most are unread copies, but here's a few pics of the outer covers.

sensation%20covers%20001.jpg

Inner cover of the Sensation, plus the date.

sensation%20covers%20003.jpg

sensation%20covers%20004.jpg

Same with the Action #1 - outer cover

sensation%20covers%20007.jpg

Inner cover and 1974 date- being gently opened and not creasing the cover.

sensation%20covers%20008.jpg

More of them. All are over sized issues and not easy to mistake for originals.

sensation%20covers%20006.jpg