• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do the details on the label affect your buying decision?

19 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Many, many, many of you buy the book and not the grade. Perfect!

BUT does the detail on the label mess with your head?

For example, you might be chasing a specific book and you find it in an acceptable grade, with fantastic colours popping off the cover and presenting really well in the slab.

Given you buy the book, but not the grade, this seems to be perfect.

But then you face the label...

If you don't ever plan on re-selling the book, or cracking it out, does the label matter? If it presents beautifully would you buy the book if the label was green and the detail said "cover detached at bottom staple" or something similar?

PQ is another interesting one. Sometimes you'll find an amazing looking book that is a CROW.

What about missing label data - such as a 1st app (think: Wytches #1) or data errors, such as stating "Batman #15" when it is really "Detective Comics #15".

Does it mess with your head? Or do you have certain criteria - such as... "I'll never buy a green label" or "I'll never buy a CR/OW" etc etc....

No hidden agenda, just wondering on how you roll...

If the label has a mistake on it, couldn't you just contact CGC to have them fix it at no charge?

I mean something serious like a IH #181 missing "1st appearance of Wolverine".

This does not include a New X-Men #115 missing "1st appearance of Negasonic Teenage Warhead".

This does not include a New X-Men #115 missing "1st appearance of Negasonic Teenage Warhead".

Firstly, lol.

If the label has a mistake on it, couldn't you just contact CGC to have them fix it at no charge?

Yeah - probably. They'd probably be very gracious about it too... It would SUCK for me, because I would expect to be paying the shipping each way... but for someone closer, this would be a non-issue.

Missing label data (such as first appearance notations, etc) doesn't mean anything to me. As you say, buy the book not the label. That Hulk 181 doesn't suddenly NOT have Wolverine on the cover, just because CGC neglected to include it on the label of a particular copy.

I would get an erroneous label corrected, but only because I like to enter my books in the Registry and it goes by what the label says, not what the book is. This actually happened to me when they slabbed an Another Universe Exclusive as a Second Print. It's still the same comic inside the slab, but the fact that I couldn't register it correctly irritated me. I sent it back for a free reslab, but lost out on postage.

Other things like page quality and defects actually matter more to me than what the label says too. I may not buy a book with a detached staple, but that's because I'm afraid the book may suffer further damage and not because of the label note.

Whether or not you put your books in the registry I would always recommend getting a label corrected if it lists the wrong book on the label. How do you know you have the correct book?

I had an order with CGC where the four books I submitted had swapped information with each other. It was no big deal as they were all my books. However what would happen if your book was swapped with another persons order?

Suddenly your ASM 200 which you know is at least a 9.4 is swapped with the label of someone else's ASM 20 which was a 6.0.

Firstly, lol.

Yeah - probably. They'd probably be very gracious about it too... It would SUCK for me, because I would expect to be paying the shipping each way... but for someone closer, this would be a non-issue.

I wouldn't say non-issue because, although it's cheaper within the U.S. you still have to pay for it. A reholder, for example may only be $15 (or whatever it is exactly) but when you add in the shipping, it's not quite that cheap

Hey all,

Many, many, many of you buy the book and not the grade. Perfect!

BUT does the detail on the label mess with your head?

For example, you might be chasing a specific book and you find it in an acceptable grade, with fantastic colours popping off the cover and presenting really well in the slab.

Given you buy the book, but not the grade, this seems to be perfect.

But then you face the label...

If you don't ever plan on re-selling the book, or cracking it out, does the label matter? If it presents beautifully would you buy the book if the label was green and the detail said "cover detached at bottom staple" or something similar?

PQ is another interesting one. Sometimes you'll find an amazing looking book that is a CROW.

What about missing label data - such as a 1st app (think: Wytches #1) or data errors, such as stating "Batman #15" when it is really "Detective Comics #15".

Does it mess with your head? Or do you have certain criteria - such as... "I'll never buy a green label" or "I'll never buy a CR/OW" etc etc....

No hidden agenda, just wondering on how you roll...

Happy B-Day (Again) Buddy!

Generally speaking, I would rather a lower grade blue label than a higher grade green or purple label. I think with patience you can find some really nicely presenting lower grade blue copies and sometimes the extra $5 for the graders notes can help you make a judgment call too.

In the example you give though, I'd rather a fully intact, structurally secure copy than one that looks pretty but is being held together by one staple...

As for PQ, I know there can be differences of opinion and there have been reported 'variances' of PQ so I just generally keep Off White as my general 'lowest threshold'. I'd definitely consider CROW on a key book and helped with affordability. I wouldn't even look at Tan though.

Incorrect data would be annoying but I wouldn't let that stop me from buying a book. I know and generally speaking, collectors will know the significance of the book w/o certain label data.

I do completely get what you are saying though, if I'm buying a book, ideally the label data should be accurate and it would 'bug' me seeing that on the label...

I'm a bit cautious about GA books listed as having tape on the inside cover, as this could mean that the cover was re-attached by putting tape over the inside staple holes and pushing the staples back through. This in itself is not a deal killer for me, but I'd like to know what exactly has been taped without having to crack the slab.

I've found CGCs PQ ratings to be inconsistent at times, for example pages I would have considered Cream coming back as OW/W, so when I see "tan pages" on a book, I'm a bit skittish, as I'm wondering if they aren't closer to brown, especially if the exposed edges are already there.

I'm also taken aback by "brittle page" listings on 4.0 and above books.

Buying any GCG book online, I read the label notes and look at the scan/photo carefully, as the price I'm willing to pay is not just based on the number grade and label color, but on eye appeal, nature of the flaws and whether or not I think the book was overgraded or undergraded.

For me CGC slabbing is an informational tool and not a desired end result for books. Generally, my only reason for not cracking a book out is if I plan on reselling.

A thing I know for sure: I would not buy an ASM #122 with

"Death" of the Green Goblin

on the label. ;)

Aside from this, I would not care, as if I buy some slabs it’s to deslab them when they have to remain in my collection, and I will make my own labels, just in case. :)

PQ used to not matter to me until I saw first hand what 'BRITTLE' pages look and feel like.

Now I can't go there... I would also strongly hesitate on LIGHT TAN to OFF-WHITE pages as well even though I still have a couple of those in my collection.

As for the rest of the label and notes... if given the choice between an error label and a non-error label, I would pay slightly higher for the non-error.

I've owned books with absolutely no information on the CGC label (artist, writer, cover, key notes... etc.) and would've much rather had a slab with all the information filled out.

And with tape, I try to avoid any tape on the FC but would consider a small amount of tape on the BC or interior.

I like this comment...

I'm a bit cautious about GA books listed as having tape on the inside cover, as this could mean that the cover was re-attached by putting tape over the inside staple holes and pushing the staples back through. This in itself is not a deal killer for me, but I'd like to know what exactly has been taped without having to crack the slab.

Here's a book that I almost bought because I thought the cover was gorgeous despite the PQ.

It's still a great looking book that I wouldn't mind owning but if those pages are indeed brittle (through and through)... sadly, it's at the end of it's life.

:(

RAD2B95A20141016_143224_zpsae1bq9fx.jpg

And Happy Birthday! :)