• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it normal for dealers/retailers to not ship a comic to you...

76 posts in this topic

...for being an international buyer? I'm new here guys and I''m not sure if this is the place to ask but I tried buying a several hundred dollar comic from mycomicshop.com and every time I went to checkout I got an error and it got removed saying they can't ship it outside the U.S.

I called them to find out why and the rep said its because the publisher (Avatar) that the comic is from is known for nudity and there is a chance for the package to be opened up at the border. Now nobody wants that to happen, so is there any way for me to get around this? I just want the comic! :cry:

The way around might be to paypal someone trustworthy in the U.S., or one of Canadian transvestites who live along the border and have a U.S. address, and have them buy it for you, then reship to you.

Unfortunately you may not get your item. I liken this to trying to import a Masterpiece Transformers Megatron figure to the U.S. that does NOT have the orange gun plug attached to the barrel of the gun. BBTS was adamant that all packages would have this in place to avoid seizure of product. If the product was seized they are on the hook for compensation.

I would imagine that this is the same with MCS

...for being an international buyer? I'm new here guys and I''m not sure if this is the place to ask but I tried buying a several hundred dollar comic from mycomicshop.com and every time I went to checkout I got an error and it got removed saying they can't ship it outside the U.S.

I called them to find out why and the rep said its because the publisher (Avatar) that the comic is from is known for nudity and there is a chance for the package to be opened up at the border. Now nobody wants that to happen, so is there any way for me to get around this? I just want the comic! :cry:

You can't ship items with nudity across the border???

That's a new one on me.

Aren't Playboy and Hustler published in the US and distributed worldwide?

That's a new one on me.

The comic in question is : Goon (1999 1st Series) Avatar Press. Apparently they can't ship it to Canada!

Recognizing irony is not your strong suit I take it....
:roflmao:

lol

Those that know me know irony it is one of my strong points. You see, my dear kav, irony is not your spécialité de la maison. Yours is retconning. (tsk)

Hey POV,what the hell is retconning mean?

That's a new one on me.

The comic in question is : Goon (1999 1st Series) Avatar Press. Apparently they can't ship it to Canada!

Huh. That's interesting for that book. Canada customs does prevent certain "content" from crossing the border though. I haven't see a Previews in a few years but there were certainly books labelled as "Not Available in Canada" due to content but I don't recall Avatar books being part of those restrictions (of course I can't recall what publishers were...) The Lone Star guys must've had something stopped before and that would be a massive hassle for them.

One option - long and complicated - buy a reprint, send to customs, ask for a review. IIRC, some entrepreneurial retailer did that for Alan Moore's Lost Girls and it passed and the Goon...ain't Lost Girls lol.

lol

Those that know me know irony it is one of my strong points. You see, my dear kav, irony is not your spécialité de la maison. Yours is retconning. (tsk)

Well, to quote the Oxford English Dictionary - retcon is a piece of new information that imposes a different interpretation on previously described events, typically used to facilitate a dramatic plot shift or account for an inconsistency.

It is not uncommon in comics. HOS 92, TTA 27 etc.

lol

Well, to quote the Oxford English Dictionary - retcon is a piece of new information that imposes a different interpretation on previously described events, typically used to facilitate a dramatic plot shift or account for an inconsistency.

It is not uncommon in comics. HOS 92, TTA 27 etc.

Like if Batman suddenly found out Robin was a girl and the clues were there all along-bras in the Batcave etc