• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it normal for dealers/retailers to not ship a comic to you...

76 posts in this topic

Oh my,don't tell so and so,he will get offended and get the entire everything locked.
55555555555555555555.gif

For Poverty I will refrain from guessing in the future. He was polite and mature about it not just slinging insults like Hado and Shatroch so I will accede to his wishes.

Insulting people is rarely a good way to bring people around to your point of view. It's a disservice to the boards.

I appreciate your response. I try to be polite and offer some reasons rather than going nuts and cursing and such. Sometimes I fail. It is a failing, I suppose.

I would hate to discover someone had lost money due to one of my posts. Your even handed explanation got through to me where the more confrontational approach failed.

(P.S. Thanks for teaching me a new word in "retcon.")

Retcon is interesting in the world of comics. As the publishers began introducing new characters, new ideas - heck even new Universes and Continuities, sometimes things have to change to incorporate a new storyline or situation. Sometimes the work is long enough ago that a writer either forgot or was unaware of a particular situation and introduced a contradictory situation. And that contradictory situation has to be either explained away as a fantasy issue or incorporated into the story line going forward.

I was first exposed to the concept on these boards probably around 2003. Swamp Thing is a nice example. HOS 92 has Alex Olson as the scientist changed by an explosion into Swampie. Swamp Thing #1 replaces Olson with Alec Holland. Along comes Alan Moore who rewrites the origin so a chemical explosion animates the vegetation itself (no human needed).

Such as the retcon.

The Hulk was retconned from a normal sounding guy to a 'character with the IQ of a radish

I thought "retcon" was just short for retroactive continuity?

It is! (thumbs u

But we comic/sci-fi/pulp fiction types can be fast and loose with strict definitions. One might almost say we retconned the term retcon!

But if you think too hard about that you can get caught in a loop and... :insane:

I thought "retcon" was just short for retroactive continuity?

It is! (thumbs u

But we comic/sci-fi/pulp fiction types can be fast and loose with strict definitions. One might almost say we retconned the term retcon!

But if you think too hard about that you can get caught in a loop and... :insane:

I'm a little loopy. (:

For Poverty I will refrain from guessing in the future. He was polite and mature about it not just slinging insults like Hado and Shatroch so I will accede to his wishes.

Insulting people is rarely a good way to bring people around to your point of view. It's a disservice to the boards.

I appreciate your response. I try to be polite and offer some reasons rather than going nuts and cursing and such. Sometimes I fail. It is a failing, I suppose.

I don't remember cursing, or going nuts, but thank you for eloquently portraying the message I was trying to convey in the Sensation 1 thread. :D

My failing is being insulting and immature while being called a chubby hall monitor.

For those of you interested in reading about retcons a blogger named Brian Cronin over at Comic Book Resources has a running list of over 100 instances where plots were overturned/ignored/retconned by various writers. It's pretty fascinating.

(Apologies if the whole "what's a retcon" question was in humor. I'm still feeling out the rhythm of this board.)

Retcon is interesting in the world of comics. As the publishers began introducing new characters, new ideas - heck even new Universes and Continuities, sometimes things have to change to incorporate a new storyline or situation. Sometimes the work is long enough ago that a writer either forgot or was unaware of a particular situation and introduced a contradictory situation. And that contradictory situation has to be either explained away as a fantasy issue or incorporated into the story line going forward.

I was first exposed to the concept on these boards probably around 2003. Swamp Thing is a nice example. HOS 92 has Alex Olson as the scientist changed by an explosion into Swampie. Swamp Thing #1 replaces Olson with Alec Holland. Along comes Alan Moore who rewrites the origin so a chemical explosion animates the vegetation itself (no human needed).

Such as the retcon.

I know this is splitting hairs, but didn't the actual recon - incorporating an old story into new continuity - of HOS #92 take place in Swamp Thing #33?

By disassociating Swamp Thing from a human body, #21 certainly lays the groundwork for the retcon. But I thought that #33, which reprints HOS #92, is the one that explained that there have been numerous manifestations of Swamp Thing in the past and Alex Olsen was one of them?

I agree with this. Hopefully we'll see an improvement in your posts.

Such as the retcon.

I know this is splitting hairs, but didn't the actual recon - incorporating an old story into new continuity - of HOS #92 take place in Swamp Thing #33?

By disassociating Swamp Thing from a human body, #21 certainly lays the groundwork for the retcon. But I thought that #33, which reprints HOS #92, is the one that explained that there have been numerous manifestations of Swamp Thing in the past and Alex Olsen was one of them?

An interesting thing is that retcons themselves are retconnable.

An interesting thing is that retcons themselves are retconnable.

Mark Evanier had an interesting POV column on this years back, "Comics That Really Didn't Happen" -- later republished in his first collection, Comic Books and Other Necessities of Life.

He argued that fans, in many cases, decide for themselves what is cannon and ignore the sections of a hero's mythos that rings false to their understanding of the character.

His last two lines in the article: "A great super-hero can survive anything. Even an inappropriate storyline."