• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Countdown to the last Silver-Age DC...(How many are there?).

75 posts in this topic

Just posted these up at the Wanted to Buy Boards:

These few issues will complete my Silver-Age runs of these 4 titles. Hope some of you may help out.

FOX and CROW #68 Prefer Fine (6.0) or better

PETER PANDA #29 VG (4.0) or better on this one. Hard to get in any grade

BIG TOWN #40 VG (4.0) or better

GANG BUSTERS VG (4.0) or better

Threads been dead today...guess I babbled too much over the weekend... :blush:

Hey Danny,

How you been buddy? I lost your phone # several years back and always wanted to touch base with you.

Well...I hate to post a list of 600 books I need all at once thought it may be overwhelming. Actually I was just about to post a list of all the runs I need anywhere from 1 to 5 issues to complete. Be a good way to start I think. To try and just get those titles off my list.

A couple guys are helping me right now with the Romance books. They seem to have quite a few that I need.

I posted the list of DC runs because I thought people wanted to see a list of all the silver DCs..about 115 titles. And to get some opinions whether anythings missing or not.

Okay everyone,

Here's a list of my wants/needs to complete title runs with 5 or less issues to go. 11 titles from the silver-age. Most I will accept 4.0 vg or better. I like nice vg's no missing pieces...no tape. Fox and Crows and Horror stuff I favor more so like nicer copies when I can. thanks in advance for any help.

DC FUNNY ANIMALS

Fox and Crow #68 F (6.0) or better

Peter Panda #29 VG (4.0) or better

DC WESTERNS (these okay in vg (4.0) or better

All-Star Western #'s 99, 101, 104, 105, 114

Frontier Fighters #7

DC MYSTERY HORROR SCI-FI(prefer these better than 4.0 but will consider them if they look nice)

House of Secrets #'s 4, 13, 54

Strange Adventures #'s 75, 90, 128

DC ROMANCE

Young Love #'s 49, 55, 69 (prefer F 6.0 or better on these).

DC FUNNY TEENS & PERSONALITIES

Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis #'s 30, 35 (VG 4.0 or better on these okay)

Buzzy #73, 74 (vg 4.0 or better)

Date with Judy #64, 77 (vg 4.0 or better)

Sgt. Bilko's Pvt. Doberman #5, 6, 8, 11 (4.0 vg or better)

Start with these and then I'll follow in a few days with more of my wantlist to complete my 600 + book search for silver DC's.

Hi Keith,

Welcome back!

The list you posted is of the runs you are trying to complete, where is the list of issues you need?

Actually Danny I have 74 of the 115 titles completed. Just 41 to go. If I can get these 13 filled than that'll leave only 29 titles to complete my entire silver DC collection.

Of course I'll always be upgrading and completing other collections.

Just 41 to go. If I can get these 13 filled than that'll leave only 29 titles to complete my entire silver DC collection.

I'll ask the question that must be asked...

In your opinion, what are the toughest individual DC Silver Age issues to find in any grade?

Just 41 to go. If I can get these 13 filled than that'll leave only 29 titles to complete my entire silver DC collection.

In your opinion, what are the toughest individual DC Silver Age issues to find in any grade?

Now that is THE QUESTION... You'd think a collector as myself could readily answer that without hesitation...hmmmm First off...the list I just posted to complete these 13 titles obviously haven't been easy for me. But not like I've looked for those specific issues for years. They are just down to the last.

Basically the 1950's titles...especially the short runs 8 issues or less. Those can be quite the challenge. Although eventually they pop up at Ebay...try to find most any of those readily available that are not any better than a Poor, fair, or good to good +. That's the challenge...so I often settle for the low grades..but continue to look for nicer ones at fair prices. Just because they are up there at "Buy me Now" doesn't mean I'm so eager to press that button.

For example..

Frontier Fighters 1- 8.

Legends of Daniel Boone #1 - 8

These two Frontier titles while the first issues seem to actually be more common...the final issues...actually like the last half are scarcer it seems.

DoDo and the Frog 89 - 92 Where the final issues were a name change from the GA title "Funny Stuff" that mainly featured the characters. The last issue is the scarcest. I actually have two of them...finished the run years back.

Three Mouseketeers 1 - 26. #1 is not very common. Took me forever it seems to get a decent #26. And for some reason the #19 eluded me for quite some time. Again..run was completed years ago.

However...any of the above...just try to find high grade copies of any of that stuff. And if you can...be prepared to pay. :cry:

I finished most all my Superhero titles 20 years ago. Before Ebay and the internet basically. Talk about the long way.

However..those early Flash are tough. #110 and 112 took me a while. Think finally got them off of FeePay some years back. Scored a beautiful 106 some years back as well.

Rex the Wonder Dog is a tough one. I still need several of those. Just hate to pay for them. #1 is not common. The last issues actually come up quite a bit.

It really is hard for me to pin point the scarcest issues to locate. Funny...I can go for years trying to find that blasted Mouseketeers 19. And when I finally get one. A half a dozen others get sold at Ebay following in a short period of time. Go figure. I've had this happen many times. I finally get that book I've been searching for. ANd within a short while...I'm able to upgrade it.

And if I go to sell my undercopy..I'm all of a sudden competing with 3 other copies. :sumo:

My endeavor to complete a 5000 count book collection from the 1950's thru the 60's. I'm not a millionaire that can just pay anyone's asking price and get all high grade books. I started when I was 9 years old...I'm 53 now. I probably had 2000 of the silver DCs before I decided somewhere in the early 90's that I wanted to try and get them all. At that time I had know Idea I had 3000 more to go. It took years to figure out how many there are and that list I shared with you all may not be 100% accurate. Especially when we all do not agree on the exact begin and end of the silver-age as we've been discussing.

This is why I base my list off of the first issues to coincide with Showcase 4 October 1956. (Just has seemed to be the general consensus for many years and the overstreet usually flows with this point as well) And so I just simply cut it off at December 1969. (I'm still tossing around thoughts on this as I type and read posts from you guys) Even though we all agree that the silver-age does extend on into at least early 1970 and some may say 1971. And I even suggest that the DC horror titles that went gothic and went all horror stories may even begin the Bronze -age for those type of books as early as late 1968 for DC's and '69 or '70 for Marvels. But...that's favoring a specific genre. And many of us agree that not all titles and genres begin their silver-age...or any age for that matter at the exact same moment in time. So why not make it time specific and just cut it short of the madness and confusing and ensuing mayhem.

As many of you like to begin your silver-age collection to be about when the CCA stepped in to adorn their logo on the covers in 1955. (I actually agree with this as it seems most logical without a favoritism involved) While others argue with tek 225 the first Martian Manhunter. vs. Showcase 4. And I totally understand both viewpoints. Especially when the ages originally seemed to be more superhero oriented. This gives a timeline that is not based on a genre of heroes or horror or funny stuff, romance, etc. but an actual timeline that most all publishers may share. (my opinion)

Instead of arguing the first appearances of the new X-Men, GL 76, Swamp Thing House of Secrets #92 Some have stated Jonah Hex in All-Star Western #10 and so on. Or where the 15 cent issues end even. We are never all going to agree with this. I just simply cut the silver-age at December 1969 and be done with it. Afterall...I have most all the Bronze DCs anyhow.

I'm seriously thinking of revising my list for the Silver-age to begin with the first CCA issues. Makes more sense to me..and doesn't favor a characters first appearance...but rather as someone here stated earlier..a time that all comics were influenced by regulation.

Forgive me...I am not a writer...although strongly opinionated. Some of you are really quite eloquent it seems at explaining all of this with your opinions and extended vocabulary. And I really do appreciate the input.

As for defining the end of Bronze...beginning of Copper and so on. Good luck with that...I'm not touching it...I do not even care. lol

(oh...and it looks like my math was off as I was tiring out last night. 41 less 13 should have been 28 titles to go)

To add a bit more for scarce titles and specific issues:

Any of the DC westerns from the 50's are tough. All-Star, All American, Hopalong Cassidy. Though longer runs like 20 or 30 something issues. They are a bear to complete and I still need a few.

Try putting together a set of Gang Busters and Big Town, Mr. District Attorney.

I came up with this slogan years back as I was putting my runs together:

"Mr. DA Makes Big Town Gang Bust"

As for the later 60's Silver-age DC's. Tean Beam #1 and Teen Beat #2 are about the most scarce of the late 60's. Though I got my copies around 1982. You just do not see them very often at all.

The Pat Boone issues of the early 60's. #1 is more common. However #2 thru 5 are not too easily found. I have two sets of these. And as I recall...they do not have months on them..only the year. 1959 60 or 61. Can't recall for sure.

Just heard back from my consignor and we do have Pvt. Doberman 8 in the grade you want. I will send you a PM. (Also have Frontier Fighters 8 in FN, though that wasn't on your list. Just an example that I really like 50s DCs.)

Your DC FF 8 has gotta be nicer than my good.