• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Countdown to the last Silver-Age DC...(How many are there?).

75 posts in this topic

Hi all, it's been a little over 5 years since I've signed in to the CGC Boards. Got extremely busy with work and just dropped out of sight from all you fellow collectors. I was an avid participant in Silver's "365 thread" showing 20 to 30 or more books a day and then got so busy with work I did not have time to photograph anymore and just lost all interest. Made a lot of good friends and bought, sold & traded with several of you guys and then...I was gone. No more time to participate...however I did continue my collecting as time allowed. Been collecting for over 40 years.

My main focus was owning every single silver-age DC...all genres...Heroes, Horror...Sci-Fi, War...Romance...Funny Animals and personalities. I am very close to completing this goal. Best I can figure there are approximately 5000 unique books (give or take a handful) out of about 116 or 117 titles that comprise the silver-age of DC's from October 1956 to December 1969. I have only about 500 or so to go. Some local collectors recently told me to get back onto the boards and see if collectors here may could help me finish the task.

I mainly need help in the Romance and War titles but still need a few personalities...such as Jerry Lewis, Bob Hope, Dobie Gillis, Sarge Bilko, etc.

I finished all the Super-hero and Adventure titles years ago. Still need a few House of Mystery, Strange Adventures and My Greatest Adventure. Not many...just a few of each. Need about 140 Romance books out of like 700. and about 200 of the War titles. Also need about 4 more All-Star Westerns and a few Hopalong Cassidys. A few Rex the Wonder Dogs..a few Tomahawks. Just getting to the point where the books I need I just cant find at Ebay (or the buy it now prices are way too high for me) or elsewhere so I was wondering if you guys may help.

I do try to keep condition at an average 6.0 minimum when possible, 1950's at least nice looking vg's and later 60s I try for VF or higher. I quit buying low grade space holders till I got the better copy years ago (unless I just pick some up with other books in collections or something). Hard to find issues I sometimes settle for a lower grade if it looks decent. I am also constantly upgrading what I have. I oftentimes get more enjoyment out of upgrading a low grade book than getting one I do not have.

Oh...I only need a Fox and Crow #68 and a Peter Panda #29 to have all the DC Silver and Bronze Funny Animals...just 2 books.

I have money to spend and I also have about 4000 silver-Age books for sale or trade. To start off with I am interested in buying collections of DC Romance and War comics. Even if I already have many of them. If you have a collection you'd like to sell...please drop me a line.

I've also been trying to complete my Golden-Age Superman's...I need only 6 books to have them all from #1 to #30 (many high grade issues). And 5 more all the way to #50. From there to 100 about 20 issues. So I guess that's about 31 issues to go. I've posted in the GA threads looking to buy a Superman #1.

Anyhow I'm going to try and stay with you guys this time and hope I may contribute something from all my collecting experiences over the years.

So...do any of you have an exact count on just how many Silver-DC's there are? For the most part does everyone agree on October 1956 till December 1969? or does it go to 1971? Is it still a debate or have we finally settled on that? I have all of those as well so I got the bases covered. :grin:

Any suggestions on how I may find the books I need to finish? Or should I post my wantlist on this thread? Any help would be much appreciated. thanks in advance and sorry about the long read.

If you guys are interested I'll keep a progress report going on this thread as I close in on the countdown to the last silver-age DC to complete my collection.

Would you guys like to see the lists I've compiled of the titles and isues #'s of all the Silver DC's? Or is there already such a list out there? Please chime in and let me know your thoughts.

Keith

Show the list!

Best of luck on closing in on your goal, it sounds like a formidable task. I'd say your dates are a solid reflection of DC's Silver. One can quibble as to whether all DC books suddenly became SA the same month Showcase 4 came out, and I always thought of 1970 as the transition year into Bronze, but for hard start and end dates for a collection, Oct. 56 to Dec. 69 sound logical to me.

Show the list!

Best of luck on closing in on your goal, it sounds like a formidable task. I'd say your dates are a solid reflection of DC's Silver. One can quibble as to whether all DC books suddenly became SA the same month Showcase 4 came out, and I always thought of 1970 as the transition year into Bronze, but for hard start and end dates for a collection, Oct. 56 to Dec. 69 sound logical to me.

......I would certainly love to see your list.....and I would think it would have it's merits outside the WTB thread (although I would place it there, also). I'm curious to see just what has eluded an avid collector for 40 years. Your date ranges seem workable, though I might personally shorten or lengthen certain titles if the "feel: was right. I always felt the cut off between SA and BA was one of the simplest, as the tone and theme changes were dramatic. It's easy to recognize books like GL/GA 76, Conan 1, and ASM 96 as being distinctly different than what went before. Your choice of a specific date is probably the best starting point from an objective standpoint. There was a good thread a while back..... maybe instituted by Silver (?) that endeavored to reach a consensus as to when each title ended in the SA, thematically speaking.... I would have no idea how deeply buried it might be at this point, however. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Awesome...thanks for the encouragement. I'd like to see your list of definitive complete silver/bronze Marvels. Or....point me to your old thread so I may check it out. I love all comics from the golden thru the bronze age actually. Just be impossible to have them all. Started seriously collecting the DCs when I was 9 about 44 years ago...focusing on the Superman family titles and favorite super-heroes and horror stuff. Only about 20 years ago did I decide to go for a complete silver/bronze run of them.

Great thread! I did a tread like this for Marvel.....it helped me a lot to find the last comics I needed to complete what I had left. Posting your want list in this thread would help you a lot. Good luck finishing! :applause:

OP could learn from your thread....it was entertaining AND effective.... your addition of the ongoing want list in your sig line was helpful for us "helpful" boardies. GOD BLESS....

Show the list!

......I would certainly love to see your list.....and I would think it would have it's merits outside the WTB thread (although I would place it there, also). I'm curious to see just what has eluded an avid collector for 40 years. Your date ranges seem workable, though I might personally shorten or lengthen certain titles if the "feel: was right. I always felt the cut off between SA and BA was one of the simplest, as the tone and theme changes were dramatic. It's easy to recognize books like GL/GA 76, Conan 1, and ASM 96 as being distinctly different than what went before. Your choice of a specific date is probably the best starting point from an objective standpoint. There was a good thread a while back..... maybe instituted by Silver (?) that endeavored to reach a consensus as to when each title ended in the SA, thematically speaking.... I would have no idea how deeply buried it might be at this point, however. GOD BLESS...

I need to check that out

Great post, Seadevils!!!

Incredible mission and ambition. Hard to believe you are now so close. :o Good for you. Wish you the very best with completing your goal. (worship)

Of course, people here will help you, myself included.

Do post your lists. And you've gotten good advice from the other posters.

My very best to you! :D

Show the list!

I do go outside the parameters of the Oct 1956 to

Show the list!

Darn it guys...I keep trying to respond to Jimbos post and I can't recall which button to hit where it copies his message for which to reply. Think I got it now.

I do go outside the parameters of my list beginning Oct 1956 to Jan 1969. Especially on the short runs that began and ended shortly before 1956 and after 1969. For instance...Frontier Fighters...6 of the 8 issue run are before Oct 1956 only the final 2 make the list. But I went for all 8 of them. Just seemed right. Jackie Gleason and the Honeymooners. #1 falls before and the last 11 are after Oct 1956. So I include the #1. However...in my official count...I just include the issues that coincide w Showcase 4 and end in December 1969.

I would love to open up a discussion again on determining just exactly when each title enters and exits the silver-age...as well as the Bronze-Age. Again there are 115 to 117 titles all together including the Annuals. I basically have all the Bronze DC's...Every title from Jan 1970 to the late 1980's which includes Copper.

Show the list!

On the super hero stuff you could go back to 1955 with Tec 225.

I look forward to seeing updates in this thread.

Show the list!

......I tend to at least consider the beginning of the SA to coincide with the CCA books......the censorship that ensued was very instrumental in the birth of the SA...... plus it partially encompasses the Atlas "Hero Revival" that exists in a kind of limbo...... those would have possibly been more successful had Atlas recognized the value of what I call Rogues Gallery Marketing.....an element that D.C. recognized and exploited to great effect. GOD BLESS...

Show the list!

Actually on the Actions, Adventures and Detectives I collected every issue from #200 up..so that does include Tec 225 and all the first CCAs.

DC's start feeling less Golden-age in 1952 and even less silver-age in 1966 just because of the downsizing of the books. That's why I use 7 1/2 size bags for all those as they still fit nicely in a normal sized comic box and not have to go to the cumbersome magazine size.

hmmm...so what all factors come into play here....introduction of certain characters..such as Jonzz Jonzz...and silver-age Flash. CCA books and the dimension of the books. As well as type of stories and changes of the time.

Very subjective as is grading these jewels. lol it's madness!

Awesome...thanks for the encouragement. I'd like to see your list of definitive complete silver/bronze Marvels. Or....point me to your old thread so I may check it out. I love all comics from the golden thru the bronze age actually. Just be impossible to have them all. Started seriously collecting the DCs when I was 9 about 44 years ago...focusing on the Superman family titles and favorite super-heroes and horror stuff. Only about 20 years ago did I decide to go for a complete silver/bronze run of them.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5576863#Post5576863

I expanded what I was looking for back to 10/1957. I still need 30 issues to complete that....but I lost zest for collecting. :cry:

This is the thread. I made for the 20 years completed.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6715953&fpart=1

hmmm...so what all factors come into play here....introduction of certain characters..such as Jonzz Jonzz...and silver-age Flash. CCA books and the dimension of the books. As well as type of stories and changes of the time.

...yes..... but it DOES keep us out of the "drunk tank" at the local Hoosegow (...most of us, anyway lol ).....GOD BLESS....

...... I'm not a completeist like you.....and I have great respect for that.... but I'm financially limited to being selective..... and to have a collection without a couple Boring Superman books and some Sprang and Mortimer Batman comics from the '53 to '55 time frame is just unthinkable ...... my collection is a watered down version of yours but spans more publishers. It's more like what is referred to in the coin hobby as a "Type Set"..... although not just one of each..... or even one of everything.

...yes..... but it DOES keep us out of the "drunk tank" at the local Hoosegow (...most of us, anyway lol ).....GOD BLESS....

...... I'm not a completeist like you.....and I have great respect for that.... but I'm financially limited to being selective..... and to have a collection without a couple Boring Superman books and some Sprang and Mortimer Batman comics from the '53 to '55 time frame is just unthinkable ...... my collection is a watered down version of yours but spans more publishers. It's more like what is referred to in the coin hobby as a "Type Set"..... although not just one of each..... or even one of everything.

lol

Its not about whom has the most...it's what we love. My collection has it's fair share of low to midgrade issues..but the titles I love most I try to get high grades. I've always been a completest on everything I collect. Old toys, games, cards, records, trains, slot cars...it's nuts.

As far as other publishers...I have lots of that as well...but just pick up stuff here and there especially when it drops in my lap so to speak. I did manage to complete my Dell Gold Key runs of Space Family Robinson, Magnus RObot Fighter, Dr. Solar, Ripleys. Karloff, Twilight Zone, etc. I add Four Colors as I come across them. And a beautiful run of Tower comics Thunder Agents, Undersea Agent, Dynamo and NoMan. Just not a completetest on having all the titles. Some EC's, Avon, Ajax, Quality, Timely, Atlas., Archies

I do love Harveys. Must have over a 1000 file copies of Richie Rich, Casper, Little Dot, Lotta, Sad Sack etc.

DC's I am a completest for sure. Although my 50s DCs are mostly less than high grade...I do envy you guys w the collections of High grade western and horror DCs. Very tough to get. And so expensive. I have managed to obtain some high grade examples from most of the DC 1950s titles but not complete HG runs. My funds aren't without limit either. Just years of persistence and good luck buys I suppose.