• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Countdown to the last Silver-Age DC...(How many are there?).

75 posts in this topic

Most

that is the single series that I have the fewest books. And I'm patiently awaiting for an entire collection. Easier that way. I probably only have about 35 of them. Least of my wants as well. Would rather spend money completing the runs that are closest to being finished at this point

I missed a complete collection a while back that went between $2k and 3k.

I shoulda went for it. darn darn darn

Interesting answer, and thanks. You're almost there!

I'm seriously thinking of revising my list for the Silver-age to begin with the first CCA issues. Makes more sense to me..and doesn't favor a characters first appearance...but rather as someone here stated earlier..a time that all comics were influenced by regulation.

I like DC silver too, particularly early stuff, but am more focused on DC gold right now, and I will say I've come around to the same perspective also -- of calling the last pre-code issue the end-point of the golden age runs I'm collecting.

Interesting answer, and thanks. You're almost there!

I'm seriously thinking of revising my list for the Silver-age to begin with the first CCA issues. Makes more sense to me..and doesn't favor a characters first appearance...but rather as someone here stated earlier..a time that all comics were influenced by regulation.

I like DC silver too, particularly early stuff, but am more focused on DC gold right now, and I will say I've come around to the same perspective also -- of calling the last pre-code issue the end-point of the golden age runs I'm collecting.

Thanks for the input

on the GA to SA cut-off.

I also collect a lot of Gold DCs as well. Superman...Worlds Finest...Wonder Woman...All the Funny Animals I have most of...especially Real Screen and Fox and Crows and Funny Stuff.

Have some Star Spangled...Tomahawks from #1 up but still need a few.

Great stuff.

FWIW, I use the code (and the cover price rise to 15 cents) as my cut-off too. So on the site, the golden age section is all the pre-code, the silver is all code 10-centers and all 12-centers. Makes it very clean that way and of course you see a shift in tone both with the code and right around the 1968/1969 period, so that works too.

FWIW, I use the code (and the cover price rise to 15 cents) as my cut-off too. So on the site, the golden age section is all the pre-code, the silver is all code 10-centers and all 12-centers. Makes it very clean that way and of course you see a shift in tone both with the code and right around the 1968/1969 period, so that works too.

That's long been my general rule of thumb as well.

The fact that not all publishers went from .12 cents to .15 cents at the same time also makes the Dec, 1969 cutoff more realistic as well. Then it's just a matter of a date in time. Some .15 centers were already in place around Aug or Sept as I recall. I have very good records with each comic from each publisher I log in Month...year and cover prices and whether they are giants or whatever. I even mention if it's a go go check issue for the DCs. That way I have a comprehensive list of just about anything a comic format featured.

My own personal opinion is that books join the current age when they adopt the prevailing tone of the age. My favorite example is the Golden Age: in my view Detective Comics #1 is not GA, since it pre-dates Action #1. But neither is Detective #16 part of the Golden Age, even though it was on sale the same month as Action #1. In my view, Detective Comics joins the GA with #27.

So to extend this to the Silver/Bronze Age transition, I have pretty well defined points in most of the DC super-hero titles where the Bronze Age begins. Some days I think Silver ended a year or two earlier for certain titles, and there was an un-named interim period between the ages. (Kind of like the post-CCA, pre-Showcase #4 period). Other days I think Silver runs right up to the first Bronze Age book for each title. Adopting the latter approach, here are my choices for final Silver Age DCs, most of which fall into 1970 cover dated issues, though the Superman titles lag into 1971.

Green Lantern #75 (last pre-Neal Adams issue)

Aquaman #49 (Deadman & Neal Adams arrive next issue)

JLA #77 (final pre-Satellite era story, Snapper Carr leaves, Joker appears without his trademark Bronze Age homicidal insanity)

Superman #232 (Julie Schwarz arrives next issue)

Action #418 (ditto)

Teen Titans #24 (Lilith, Mr. Jupiter, and a new approach arrive next issue)

Worlds Finest #197 (last Superman/Batman teamup for a while)

Flash #194 (last Andru/Esposito; Gil Kane arrives next issue)

Star-Spangled War #150 (final new Enemy Ace; Unknown Soldier arrives next issue)

Jimmy Olsen #132 (Kirby arrives next issue)

Lois Lane #104 (Rose & Thorn starts next issue)

Tomahawk #130 (becomes Son of Tomahawk next issue)

Our Fighting Forces #122 (last Hunter's Hellcats, The Losers start next issue)

Batman #217 (Robin leaves for college)

Don't expect this will work for anyone else, but thought it might be interesting to share. There are some obvious problems, such as what to do with the DC Horror comics that started in 1968, or the Diana Prince Wonder Woman period, or Brave & Bold, or half of the War books. :ohnoez:

My own personal opinion is that books join the current age when they adopt the prevailing tone of the age. My favorite example is the Golden Age: in my view Detective Comics #1 is not GA, since it pre-dates Action #1. But neither is Detective #16 part of the Golden Age, even though it was on sale the same month as Action #1. In my view, Detective Comics joins the GA with #27.

So to extend this to the Silver/Bronze Age transition, I have pretty well defined points in most of the DC super-hero titles where the Bronze Age begins. Some days I think Silver ended a year or two earlier for certain titles, and there was an un-named interim period between the ages. (Kind of like the post-CCA, pre-Showcase #4 period). Other days I think Silver runs right up to the first Bronze Age book for each title. Adopting the latter approach, here are my choices for final Silver Age DCs, most of which fall into 1970 cover dated issues, though the Superman titles lag into 1971.

JLA #77 (final pre-Satellite era story, Snapper Carr leaves, Joker appears without his trademark Bronze Age homicidal insanity)

Action #418 (ditto)

Star-Spangled War #150 (final new Enemy Ace; Unknown Soldier arrives next issue)

Don't expect this will work for anyone else, but thought it might be interesting to share. There are some obvious problems, such as what to do with the DC Horror comics that started in 1968, or the Diana Prince Wonder Woman period, or Brave & Bold, or half of the War books. :ohnoez:

???

meh

???

meh

I think I see what he's doing there, and it's an interesting approach, but gets tougher as time goes on. The first two (major) ages are heroic ages, but after that, you're making a lot of judgement calls.

Action #418 (ditto)

This can of worms is gettin' more ripe with age as well. lol

I'm just trying to define a line where all comics across the board can share an ages timeline. The spread from 1968 to 1971 is just quite wide. Horror 1968...

Superman 1971. All the in between controversy...For war possibly the Unknown soldier SPW 151..The Losers OFF 123...and so on.

And then..the Marvels. And if you toss Gold Key and Charlton in the mix it's just too crazy. December 1969 is close to middle...all publishers were approximately .15 cent

I think the first CCA at the beginning...that affected all comics forever at the same time.

Anyhow...I've formed my personal conclusion with this thread and have listened to everyone and I feel we all have valid points. It seems comic collecting itself is like grading...it's all so subjective to opinion...and we all have that.

Now my list has to be modified to go back another year...and now that results in more books I need to fulfill my goal. All the silver-age DCs in my collection.

Thankfully I have most all the Bronze (so no matter the out come...I'm covered) ...and I collect all 1950's DCs..so the new elongated DC silver list won't hurt too much.

Again...thanks to everyone for sharing their opinions..it has been and continues to be interesting.

My other purpose of this thread is my countdown till I reach the final issue that fulfills my DC SA wants. I have enough info once I determine the final pre-code issue of each title (price guide has many listed) And make that final count of how many issues comprise the era. Then I'll post exactly how many there are and begin my countdown to how many I yet need to fulfill the goal.

I appreciate everyone's help that has been selling or locating me books and helping me achieve this very time consuming near painstaking task that I began

nearly 25 years ago.

The fun continues!

Action #418 (ditto)

This can of worms is gettin' more ripe with age as well. lol

I'm just trying to define a line where all comics across the board can share an ages timeline. The spread from 1968 to 1971 is just quite wide. Horror 1968...

Superman 1971. All the in between controversy...For war possibly the Unknown soldier SPW 151..The Losers OFF 123...and so on.

And then..the Marvels. And if you toss Gold Key and Charlton in the mix it's just too crazy. December 1969 is close to middle...all publishers were approximately .15 cent

I think the first CCA at the beginning...that affected all comics forever at the same time.

Anyhow...I've formed my personal conclusion with this thread and have listened to everyone and I feel we all have valid points. It seems comic collecting itself is like grading...it's all so subjective to opinion...and we all have that.

Now my list has to be modified to go back another year...and now that results in more books I need to fulfill my goal. All the silver-age DCs in my collection.

Thankfully I have most all the Bronze (so no matter the out come...I'm covered) ...and I collect all 1950's DCs..so the new elongated DC silver list won't hurt too much.

Again...thanks to everyone for sharing their opinions..it has been and continues to be interesting.

My other purpose of this thread is my countdown till I reach the final issue that fulfills my DC SA wants. I have enough info once I determine the final pre-code issue of each title (price guide has many listed) And make that final count of how many issues comprise the era. Then I'll post exactly how many there are and begin my countdown to how many I yet need to fulfill the goal.

I appreciate everyone's help that has been selling or locating me books and helping me achieve this very time consuming near painstaking task that I began

nearly 25 years ago.

The fun continues!

Big thumbs up (thumbs u

Action #418 (ditto)

..... this is a well thought proposal. I tend to agree that there can be no real cut and dry beginning for the Bronze Age across the board. The changes in theme and tone were probably more acute than at any other time in our Country's history......our entire social fabric was undergoing a profound transformation in the late 60's and this seemed to seep into the comic medium at varying degrees. I personally don't consider anything after 1970 to be Silver Age..... but that's me. By that time it seems that comics had seized upon the agenda of retaining older readers (with more disposable income, natch...) and were trying, sometimes desperately, to introduce some kind of relevancy to the books. The "Wow!" factor was no longer sufficient in it's own right. Comics had been a mirror of the world at large almost from the beginning..... but the 60's almost forced publishers to step up there their game from a social standpoint. One thing I've often wondered about is the correlation of the advent of Rock and Roll with the beginnings of the Silver Age..... if this had some social impact on themes and directions of the comic industry. GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u