• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Free Grader Notes

195 posts in this topic

Still can't see any of mine from the past year. When I enter in the Invoice # it says grades aren't available until the invoice has shipped and that details are not yet available.... On invoices from 2014. I personally submitted them under the same account .

I looked at your account and I can see the information on your invoices from 2014. I think you may not be seeing the info because you are not entering the leading zero on some of your invoices. Please try adding a zero before the numbers for the invoices where info is not being returned. If you continue to have a problem, pm me with a couple of invoice numbers and I can check it out.

Dear Dana,

Can we have greggy's ban reinstated?

Thanks in advance,

R,

Dena :baiting:

I had a crush on a Dana in high school. Gets me every time. :pullhair:

No grading notes for you! :sumo:

Still can't see any of mine from the past year. When I enter in the Invoice # it says grades aren't available until the invoice has shipped and that details are not yet available.... On invoices from 2014. I personally submitted them under the same account .

I looked at your account and I can see the information on your invoices from 2014. I think you may not be seeing the info because you are not entering the leading zero on some of your invoices. Please try adding a zero before the numbers for the invoices where info is not being returned. If you continue to have a problem, pm me with a couple of invoice numbers and I can check it out.

Dear Dana,

Thanks in advance,

R,

It's only been 11 years since you joined, so one might understand the mistake.

hm

Hey, my 10 year anniversary passed, and I forgot all about it.

10 years of RMA.

:cloud9:

Speaking of Dana, that's a name you don't see too much these days.

I went to school with a boatload of them.

No Brendas or Valeries, or Karens or Pattys, either.

I work with 2 Valeries, both around 19-years-old.

I didn't mean there are literally no young people named Valerie anymore.....

:D

I didn't mean there are literally no young people named Valerie anymore.....

:D

Scarce, but not rare? hm

They sound hot!

Dear Dana,

Thanks in advance,

R,

It's only been 11 years since you joined, so one might understand the mistake.

I actually knew it was spelled Dena (the wrong way - :D ) but was in a rush and when brain-farting I usually default to the spelling I grew up with.

So there!

Now that I've figured it all out, this was a good move toward doing the right thing. I'd still however like them to make all graders notes available, perhaps at membership tiers higher than associate, through the certification look up tool. I think certain other grading companies already do this. I mean when you're buying a big book at a convention, who has time to order notes.

They sound hot!

lol

Did notes on books "graded" but not yet shipped disappear for everyone?

So when notes first appeared, they were showing even for books that had not yet been moved to "shipped". I can confirm that they were present for books marked graded, but not yet shipped.

Now, the practice seems to be that notes will not show until the book has moved to shipped. It appears that notes for books which are graded, but not yet shipped, have disappeared. Frankly, this is in line with the idea that a book's grade isn't disclosed until it is shipped. It is, IMHO, a CYA on CGC's part.

I believe CGC stopped releasing grades because books could, and were, getting damaged between final grading and encapsulation and shipping. Having a grade is proof that the book was damaged by CGC at that point. If the book is damaged enough to warrant regrading, but not enough for everyone to KNOW CGC did it, CGC has plausible deniability. Spill coffee on the book, CGC will tell you they did it. Drop it and put a crease on the corner, who knows.

Same for notes. In fact, maybe more so. Notes actually/sorta give you an idea of the flaws important to knocking the grade down. If a corner crease isn't listed in the notes on day 15, but appear after the book is graded, there's at least a suspicion that the book was damaged by CGC.

The fact that a conscious decision was made to eliminate the ability to see notes before moving to "shipped" seems to indicate that there is a purpose to the removal. My take is that the purpose is the same as the conscious decision to stop letting people see grades before books shipped: books were and are being damaged between final grading and encapsulation/shipping. Maybe not many, but I can't think of another plausible reason why grades and notes were specifically removed from view.

but I can't think of another plausible reason why grades and notes were specifically removed from view.

To me the most plausible reason to not show a grade until a book is marked 'shipped' is so that the final product can be quality controlled - make sure the book matches the label, the grade, description, etc.

There were instances when people's grades changed during the grading process or resto designations were changed during the process, etc. And the opinion / resto check / grade is not final until the entire grading process is final (QC). Shipped / Safe is the next and final step (after QC) of the process so it's logical to be able to publicly share an opinion after that.

Sure, some mistakes make it through QC into the wild but it still looks way more professional to catch most of them before they leave the building rather than reveal the mistakes during the process. That's what I've always attributed the change to.

but I can't think of another plausible reason why grades and notes were specifically removed from view.

To me the most plausible reason to not show a grade until a book is marked 'shipped' is so that the final product can be quality controlled - make sure the book matches the label, the grade, description, etc.

There were instances when people's grades changed during the grading process or resto designations were changed during the process, etc. And the opinion / resto check / grade is not final until the entire grading process is final (QC). Shipped / Safe is the next and final step (after QC) of the process so it's logical to be able to publicly share an opinion after that.

Sure, some mistakes make it through QC into the wild but it still looks way more professional to catch most of them before they leave the building rather than reveal the mistakes during the process. That's what I've always attributed the change to.

I thought it was also because people were less likely to call and complain about grades if the books were already in the mail.

I believe CGC stopped releasing grades because books could, and were, getting damaged between final grading and encapsulation and shipping. Having a grade is proof that the book was damaged by CGC at that point. If the book is damaged enough to warrant regrading, but not enough for everyone to KNOW CGC did it, CGC has plausible deniability. Spill coffee on the book, CGC will tell you they did it. Drop it and put a crease on the corner, who knows.

Same for notes. In fact, maybe more so. Notes actually/sorta give you an idea of the flaws important to knocking the grade down. If a corner crease isn't listed in the notes on day 15, but appear after the book is graded, there's at least a suspicion that the book was damaged by CGC.

Another thing to keep in mind is that literally 100's and 1000's of people called every week complaining during the process, while the books were being graded and the process was not yet complete.

Removing the speculation during the process eliminates a lot of static noise from customers who were spotting the errors during the process and complaining about them.

I believe split grader's opinions (for example 9.2 / 9.4 / 9.4 for a CGC 9.4) was removed for the same reasons label notes were removed from labels - it made some books look inferior to others. For example, a 9.2 / 9.4 / 9.4 book might be less attractive than a 9.4 / 9.6 / 9.4 book. From a corporate POV, all 9.4's should be equal as far as their official opinion goes.

We know they're not as we factor in eye appeal, PQ, etc, but you understand what I'm saying. As an unbiased corporations, they couldn't look like they were playing favorites with some books and not others in the same grade.

----------------------------------------

Now with the above in mind, I'm not saying they aren't playing CYA with the new changes. They very well could be, but those changes still made very logical sense from a corporate POV.

Now with the above in mind, I'm not saying they aren't playing CYA with the new changes. They very well could be, but those changes still made very logical sense from a corporate POV.

LSMFT!

I thought it was also because people were less likely to call and complain about grades if the books were already in the mail.

That's probably another good reason (I forgot about that one), but realistically there were people calling before the books were done the grading process. I know I called a couple of times.

So yeah, they probably nipped a bunch of things in the bud.

Another thing to keep in mind is that literally 100's and 1000's of people called every week complaining during the process, while the books were being graded and the process was not yet complete.

Removing the speculation during the process eliminates a lot of static noise from customers who were spotting the errors during the process and complaining about them.

I believe split grader's opinions (for example 9.2 / 9.4 / 9.4 for a CGC 9.4) was removed for the same reasons label notes were removed from labels - it made some books look inferior to others. For example, a 9.2 / 9.4 / 9.4 book might be less attractive than a 9.4 / 9.6 / 9.4 book. From a corporate POV, all 9.4's should be equal as far as their official opinion goes.

We know they're not as we factor in eye appeal, PQ, etc, but you understand what I'm saying. As an unbiased corporations, they couldn't look like they were playing favorites with some books and not others in the same grade.

----------------------------------------

Once again, this is a pretty equivocating, fence-riding response. Maybe it's cya, maybe it's not?

The process as I understand it is that the book is graded, then it goes to be slabbed and shipped. Is it a misstatement by CGC when they say a book is graded in the status? Why would a book's grade change after being graded? The only reason I can think of is that it gets damaged. If it doesn't chnage after being graded, then why not tell people the grade? It used to be done that way?

Why not tell people the graders note after it's graded? It used to be that way?

Both things were deliberately removed from the status page.

Once again, this is a pretty equivocating, fence-riding response. Maybe it's cya, maybe it's not?

There's no equivocating about it. Since none of us work for CGC we're all only guessing as to why they made the changes. But I know if I ran a corporation, I'd want to run a tight ship.

The process as I understand it is that the book is graded, then it goes to be slabbed and shipped. Is it a misstatement by CGC when they say a book is graded in the status? Why would a book's grade change after being graded? The only reason I can think of is that it gets damaged. If it doesn't chnage after being graded, then why not tell people the grade? It used to be done that way?

Grades used to change during the grading cycle and after it. Resto notations would change during the grading cycle. In both cases the process was not complete until it was quality controlled.

It's no different than if you as a lawyer are deliberating with your client or a jury deliberates among themselves. Is everyone in the general public privy to everything that is discussed or are they only privy to what you finally choose to share with the public.

Ultimately, we are only privy to the final prouct and not the process.

Again, it could be that there are multiple reasons the change was made. A good corporation, like a good chess player, will make efficient changes as they grow.