• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Dealer Tomorrow's Treasues and Human Torch #23

76 posts in this topic

So I've been wanting to add a copy of Human Torch #23 to my collection for a while now and this copy shows up on Ebay and tomorrow's treasures website.

HUMAN TORCH #23 [1946] METAL MONSTER

FEATURING: SCARCE

BOOK DESCRIPTION: Complete, original, solid copy

COVER DESCRIPTION: Attached [tight], creases, edge/spine tear

INTERIOR PAGE COLOR: A very desirable -- Off-White

CONSERVATION: a few edge tears sealed

REPAIR: None

RESTORATION: None

GRADE: VG+/FN

PRICE: $950

4b51651f6097cbbe5c1f860feb1fde4a55c624f2.jpg

79b16e1d6a9cc1be59618287b8567513b145456b.jpg

So two questions.

Anyone have much experience with tomorrow's treasures since I only bought one book from them years ago on Ebay and nothing since. Are they a "safe" business to deal with?

Also at $950.00 it seems a bit overpriced but there is a "make a offer" option so what is a fair price for the book? I'm guessing it would make more sense to offer something via their website vs Ebay of coarse.

Any help would be fantastic.

Some folks like to deal with Tomorrow's Treasures, some don't, but as far as I know Richie Muchin is pretty much a straight-shooter (trustworthy).

HT#23 is a tough book with a classic Schomburg cover, but you might get him to knock off $50 to $100. Just don't press him too hard when making an offer. Richie can get irritable.

Grading looks about right (VG+). With tear seals it wouldn't get a CGC Universal label, probably Conserved (better than Restored). My 2c

Some folks like to deal with Tomorrow's Treasures, some don't, but as far as I know Richie Muchin is pretty much a straight-shooter (trustworthy).

HT#23 is a tough book with a classic Schomburg cover, but you might get him to knock off $50 to $100. Just don't press him too hard when making an offer. Richie can get irritable.

Grading looks about right (VG+). With tear seals it wouldn't get a CGC Universal label, probably Conserved (better than Restored). My 2c

If my recollection is accurate Cat is the go too man when it comes to HT23s!! Let's see those beauties :wishluck:

+1

I've bought books from him multiple times, and always found him to be very fair in negotiations, return policies, etc...can't press too hard, though. If he thinks you're trying to lowball, the discussion won't last very long. :D

I've always dealt with him straight through his website/personal e-mail/telephone...never via eBay. He's more flexible on price off eBay, and more flexible still if you pay via personal check (which I have done without hesitation).

For nary twice that price you can get a high grade unrestored

This. You could knock 50% off his price and it would still be more than that book would reach at auction. Plus if G.A.tor is saying he has a higher grade issue unrestored for less than 2 grand you may have a better option on the boards.

Richie is a character all right. I've bought from him dozens of times over the years. (Got my Giant Comic Edition 12 many moons ago). He does weird restoration things to books, but is it up front about it. Now if he would just keep his shoes on at shows...

I haven't seen to many copies available but maybe I'm not looking hard enough? It's a book I've wanted to own but can't say I've been actively looking for one either. I was actually looking for a couple other looks and happened across this by accident.

I was also thinking the same about the price that this would probably be a non-blue CGC label if in a slab so that seems a bit high for a book that is "slightly" restored.

So this would be a purple label book in the end?

I think I have a double cover (interior cover 8.5 iirc) that I have available at under 2k

Ugh. How much more under 2k? lol

(for 50 cents more would you like to upgrade to a 64 oz. Coke? :grin: )

If my recollection is accurate Cat is the go too man when it comes to HT23s!! Let's see those beauties :wishluck:

Alas, I sold one of those sweet puppies not too long ago. :cry:

Really? Guess I need to buy my duplicate copy back at a discount and pocket the difference! lol

Forget OPG on this'n (think double and you'll be in the ballpark). In high grade, HT#23 should be around $2800 (8.5) climbing to $7000 (9.4). My 2c

Granted, Richie Muchin's price for a conserved book is a little steep, but that'un doesn't come up often.

I think I have a double cover (interior cover 8.5 iirc) that I have available at under 2k

:o Wow! Is it a pretty copy? What does the first cover look like?

hm

Better jump on that quick. :grin:

+ 1 ...but not literally. :ohnoez:

This would be a much better move in the long run.

maybe $5 :foryou:

The "it's only xxx dollars more..." Is an on going joke between me and my GF.

I've learned to not fall for it at the movies but not so much with old comics and cars... :grin:

Either way this thread may have lead to a Torch #23 for me so thanks everyone for your input. :)

I haven't seen to many copies available but maybe I'm not looking hard enough? It's a book I've wanted to own but can't say I've been actively looking for one either. I was actually looking for a couple other looks and happened across this by accident.

I was also thinking the same about the price that this would probably be a non-blue CGC label if in a slab so that seems a bit high for a book that is "slightly" restored.

So this would be a purple label book in the end?

I've bought quite a few books from him over the years with no problems.

The "tear seals" he puts on are sometimes removable, which should get the book in a blue slab. He's not a great one for discussing that kind of thing at length though because he's the king of the anti-slabbers.

Other things he is more than happy to discuss at great length. :D