• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A letter to Steve Ditko
1 1

216 posts in this topic

Ditko is not bitter. He is an objectivist. His belief system is what causes him to act the way he does, not bitterness. He is a man of extreme conviction. I find him fascinating. I would love to have something signed by him, but his rules are cool with me. I would like to be able to figure out how to get him to do it willingly.

Damn! +1

He feels if he signs for one he has to sign for everyone. The man is true to his values. If he showed up at a comic con to sign or announced he was at mall to sign and the cost was $100 per signature, the line would be a mile long and there would be people in line with boxes full of books to get signed. Anyone that would turn down that much easy money you have to respect.

People are used to looking at the world through money because that is the way Western culture seems to value everything.

People who follow their convictions don't chase the money. They generally believe that their convictions are what is important and money will follow if it needs to.

I respect Ditko for his choices but I also believe that not everything is black and white the way he seems to see the world.

Write back to him:

There's no law that says if you sign for one person you have to sign for everyone. If a woman sleeps with one person that doesn't mean she has to sleep with everyone.

You would be the one person who would argue with Steve Ditko. :facepalm:

Very cool that he responded.

BUT...the letter seems a bit cold (bitter, lifeless, mean...insert other similar descriptive words).

The first sentence up to the last sentence seems to be a bit prickish.

If this was a letter sent back from someone who you despise it wouldn't garner the same good feelings.

Just my own personal opinion...and again, cool that he responded.

What if you write a letter to Steve Ditko but get one back from Stan Lee?

What if Ditko writes back but Stan Lee signs it over Ditko's sig?

Write back to him:

There's no law that says if you sign for one person you have to sign for everyone. If a woman sleeps with one person that doesn't mean she has to sleep with everyone.

I like his view. He does not wish to cross that line. Respect his wishes. (thumbs u

BUT...the letter seems a bit cold (bitter, lifeless, mean...insert other similar descriptive words).

If this was a letter sent back from someone who you despise it wouldn't garner the same good feelings.

I didn't get that at all. But tone is tricky to figure out sometimes.

I didn't get that at all. But tone is tricky to figure out sometimes.

We're used to PC talk nowadays a little too much. He just didn't coddle the reply but he was very honest about it. It's a fair reply.

I'd like to write to him specifically to thanks him for all of his hard work in not only illustration but design. Sure he was a great Illustrator, but in my mind his sheer brilliance come form the fact that a lot of his characters that he drew and came up with has stood the test of time.

Think of all the characters that costumes and physical looks and attributes have basically remained the same:

Liz Allan

Ancient One

Betty Brant

Burglar

Captain Atom

Chameleon

Clea

Creeper

Crime Master

Dormammu

Electro

Enforcers

Eternity

Frederick Foswell

Mac Gargan

Hawk and Dove

Jack O'Lantern

Jackal

John Jameson

J. Jonah Jameson

Kraven the Hunter

Leader

Ned Leeds

Lizard

Aunt May

Molten Man

Baron Mordo

Mysterio

Nightmare

Doctor Octopus

Harry Osborn

Norman Osborn

Uncle Ben

Sandman

Sinister Six

Spencer Smythe

Spider-Man

Spider-Slayer

Squirrel Girl

Gwen Stacy

Doctor Strange

Flash Thompson

Vulture

Mary Jane Watson

Just to name a few!

Wow what a resume!!!!

(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)

I believe Ditko feels he did his fair share of the creation because "Having an idea is nothing, because until it becomes a physical thing, it’s just an idea,”

-Steve Ditko, from Sean Howe’s Marvel Comics—The Untold Story

Kirbys_Spiderman_page2b.jpg

I'd like to write to him specifically to thanks him for all of his hard work in not only illustration but design. Sure he was a great Illustrator, but in my mind his sheer brilliance come form the fact that a lot of his characters that he drew and came up with has stood the test of time.

Think of all the characters that costumes and physical looks and attributes have basically remained the same:

Liz Allan

Ancient One

Betty Brant

Burglar

Captain Atom

Chameleon

Clea

Creeper

Crime Master

Dormammu

Electro

Enforcers

Eternity

Frederick Foswell

Mac Gargan

Hawk and Dove

Jack O'Lantern

Jackal

Green Goblin

John Jameson

J. Jonah Jameson

Kraven the Hunter

Leader

Ned Leeds

Lizard

Aunt May

Molten Man

Baron Mordo

Mysterio

Nightmare

Doctor Octopus

Harry Osborn

Norman Osborn

Uncle Ben

Sandman

Sinister Six

Spencer Smythe

Spider-Man

Spider-Slayer

Squirrel Girl

Gwen Stacy

Doctor Strange

Flash Thompson

Vulture

Mary Jane Watson

Just to name a few!

Wow what a resume!!!!

Fixed that for you. :)

Ditko had nothing to do with Jack O' Lantern or Prof Warren's Jackal.

As an even bigger fan of Ditko than I am of Kirby (though I obviously bow at the sheer majesty of Kirby's creative process), I only partially agree with what Ditko is saying there.

The look of Spider-man was created by Ditko. But the influence of Stan Lee is still there, even if Ditko rejected every idea or thought Lee may have thrown at him. Just the fact that he was a part of the process and had the final say in what was published makes him a part of the creative process.

And certainly, the way Stan dialogued and edited and used ideas from his own lengthy experience in comics, helped shape the way this dark, neurotic story was told. Without Stan's lighter touch, it may have been too much for many readers to like.

Not me. I liked Ditko's pre-Atlas work as well as his post-Marvel work. I even find Mr. A to be an amazing character.

( :blahblah: )

Just to name a few!

Wow what a resume!!!!

Who created Jack O'Lantern? Ditko certainly drew his first appearance.

I thought Ditko's letter was spot on, and not negative in the slightest. Refreshing, even, that someone is forthright and honest.

Had Ditko written that letter as a post on this board, would some people have been offended, and reacted to him negatively...?

hm

Of that, I have no doubt.

Of course, I agree with many aspects of his worldview.

Anyone read Ditko's Dark Dominion issues while with Defiant Comics?

I thought that was their best book.

I really liked a lot of the books that Defiant put out and at one point tried to track down an address for Steve Ditko to ask some questions about the book, though I could never find a solid address. I was still pretty young in the early 90's so I didn't quite understand who Ditko was; though I did meet Shooter at a NY convention in Defiants heyday.

What if you write a letter to Steve Ditko but get one back from Stan Lee?

What if Ditko writes back but Stan Lee signs it over Ditko's sig?

Goldmine.

( :blahblah: )

Just to name a few!

Wow what a resume!!!!

Who created Jack O'Lantern? Ditko certainly drew his first appearance.

Tom DeFalco? Certainly Ditko and even Jim Shooter could have had input to the character.